Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Lower Control Arm Ball Joints Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 AM
GarniZ33

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lower Control Arm Ball Joints Help

What's up guys. Had my Z corner balanced and aligned at West End Alignment two days ago and they pointed out that my driver side lower control arm ball joint needs replacing.

So, the question is should I just press out and install new ball joints OR just buy a new control arm with the ball joint already installed.

I found that CZP sells the ball joints for around $40 each but I can't find any reviews on them.
Moog sells the complete lower control arm with bushings and ball joints already pressed in for around $75 each side.

What would be the best way to do this, thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Your post needs clarification...there is no ball joint on the lower control arm...that one is in the knuckle itself, and is serviceable on its own.

There IS a ball joint in the lower compression arm, but that one is not serviceable, and you must buy a complete replacement arm to replace that ball joint.

Are you experiencing creaking or knocking from that side of the suspension? If not, the ball joint is probably fine, just the boot is cracked/leaking grease, which is very common.

Make sure you verify this, as the best ball joints available are usually OEM ball joints. Aftermarket joints tend to have service intervals that are MUCH shorter than OEM (even from companies like Raybestos and Moog, as has been my personal experience).
Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 AM
GarniZ33

Originally Posted by guitman32
Your post needs clarification...there is no ball joint on the lower control arm...that one is in the knuckle itself, and is serviceable on its own.

There IS a ball joint in the lower compression arm, but that one is not serviceable, and you must buy a complete replacement arm to replace that ball joint.

Are you experiencing creaking or knocking from that side of the suspension? If not, the ball joint is probably fine, just the boot is cracked/leaking grease, which is very common.

Make sure you verify this, as the best ball joints available are usually OEM ball joints. Aftermarket joints tend to have service intervals that are MUCH shorter than OEM (even from companies like Raybestos and Moog, as has been my personal experience).
This one:
Needs replacing because the shop that I had replace my oem ones apparentely installed these ones wrong, it moves around.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:35 PM
guitman32

Yes that one is replaceable, there is a huge steering knuckle ball joint thread not too far down that should have more answers than you care to read.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:10 PM
guitman32

Cheerio
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ll-joints.html
Old 07-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Chris D'Elia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced mine too on my 06 Grand touring coupe. Had to replace the entire knuckle.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:41 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

$75 for the knuckle WITH ball joint?? Thats not bad at all.

Both of mine are knocking and its so annoying.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:51 AM
GarniZ33

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
$75 for the knuckle WITH ball joint?? Thats not bad at all.

Both of mine are knocking and its so annoying.

Yah I know, I think I'm just going to go that route. Just wanted to see how members here have gone about fixing this problem
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 AM
cashmoney03

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced the ball joint itself. Drivers side took 5hrs and I had to make some adapters because the rental tool from O'reilly's didn't fit and it was partially seized. Passenger side took 45mins. I hate ball joints.
The following users liked this post:
HeartMyFairlady (12-22-2019)