Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bilstien pro kit or sport line kit?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Hotlaprc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstien pro kit or sport line kit?!?!?

I have been watching through all the threads on bilstien kits for the 350z. From what I have seen the b12 prokit comes with b8 shocks and eibach springs also lowering the car about 1". Now I am being told by a vendor that the pro kit comes with b6 shocks and pro kit springs .... The sport line kit comes with b8 shocks and sport line springs??? ... So EFFFING confused now. Funny part is 2 other vendors are saying the pro kit comes with b8 shocks? Any help would be appreciated ...
Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Hotlaprc

O.k. .... Called bilstien and there is no sport line kit for the 350z and yes the pro kit comes with b8 shocks. It's pretty funny how a vendor selling these parts does not even know this ... And gives out the wrong info!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotlaprc
O.k. .... Called bilstien and there is no sport line kit for the 350z and yes the pro kit comes with b8 shocks. It's pretty funny how a vendor selling these parts does not even know this ... And gives out the wrong info!!!
Don't know if you read this thread or not but if not...

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html

Essence of the thread from my POV: I bought B12-ProKit 2-3 years ago... came with B6 shocks (AKA "Bilstein Heavy Duty". Later post from another member said he called Bilstein US and the same kit is supposed to come with B8. The major difference being the B8 is suitable for bigger drop springs (like Sportlines) HOWEVER, either shock works with Pro-Kit springs. (I know, I had them - and loved them - until just recently).

BTW, there IS such a thing as a "B12 SportLine" kit but possibly not sold stateside or no application for Z33. Proof of existence: http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/product...b12-sportline/

Either way, the ProKit setup, IMO, is the best "compromise suspension" (suitable for street/RELATIVE comfort as well as for occasional HPDE/track). If you need adjustability to suit track conditions - for more advanced/frequent track use, there are probably better solutions, e.g. coilover or adjustable collar/shock setups.

Mic
Old 06-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Hotlaprc

Yes .... And I just went through it again! Now for the real question lol! Is it worth getting swift rspec coils over the coils included in the b12 pro kit?
Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

I thought I remember seeing PSS kits going for pretty cheap these days, like only a couple hundred more... might be worth waiting?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Hotlaprc

From what is see the specs between the eibach prokit spring and swift rspec springs are very similar! Not sure if you would feel much of a difference?

Swift 350Z Spec-R progressive springs 1.2”/1”
Spring rates in LBS initial/final Front: 291/392 Rear: 280/448

Eibach 350Z Pro-Kit progressive springs 1”/1”
Spring rates in LBS initial/final front 296/384 initial/final rear 316/421
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Hotlaprc

I went ahead and ordered the bilstien b12 pro kit from a forum general B2autodesigns .... Great guy .... Fast quote ... Accurate info and $859 shipped to San diego!!! Now for the big decision swift springs or the eibach springs?!?!?!?
Old 06-19-2015, 07:27 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I went ahead and ordered the bilstien b12 pro kit from a forum general B2autodesigns .... Great guy .... Fast quote ... Accurate info and $859 shipped to San diego!!! Now for the big decision swift springs or the eibach springs?!?!?!?
You won't feel too much of a difference between the Swift and Eibachs - with either paired with Bilstein. Possible exception being back-to-back (or side-by-side) TRACK testing. On the street, won't be a discernible diff.)

Stick with the Eibachs and put the money you'd use on new Swifts towards a set of sway bars (and/or future alignment adjustability if needed). Shock/springs without a good set of bars is like donuts without coffee. OK separately, immensely good with both.

Oh, and I notice you quoted a 1.0" drop for the Eibach springs. Nyet.... B12 ProKit will lower the car only ~0.5" (13mm or so). Inherent trait with Bilstein shocks is they tend to raise the car back up a bit (maybe 5mm) over other shocks, e.g. Koni, Tokico DSpec.

Ask me how I know this.

Cheers,

Mic
Old 06-19-2015, 07:55 AM
Hotlaprc

That's what I figured ... And yes I have hotchkis sway bars. I am happy with just the sway bars but when pushing it hard the rear needs more dampening! It gets mushy and needs more rebound control. So with the eibach springs it won't lower an inch? What about with the swift springs?
Old 06-19-2015, 08:58 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

That's what I figured ... And yes I have hotchkis sway bars. I am happy with just the sway bars but when pushing it hard the rear needs more dampening! It gets mushy and needs more rebound control. So with the eibach springs it won't lower an inch? What about with the swift springs?
Most likely will NOT lower it to the spring set's "advertised drop" due to the BILSTEIN SHOCKS as I mentioned. If either of the springs are matched to, say, Konis, as an example, you'll get closer to the full drop advertised (which, unless they've changed the spec - and which it seems they may have, my looking at the Bilstein US part list - is only 0.6" for Eibach ProKit springs.) Oy, more confusion....

I was trying to find some pics that showed the diff on my car from my computer but they're all hard to tell without being in same spot. I measured before/after though. -13mm with Bilstein ProKit, -19mm with Koni & Eibach. After you install, you might want to share with the forum what your net drop is because there's so much confusion now....

In any event, it's a good height for street/canyon and the combination WORKS. Period.

Here's the thing... you have adjustable Hotchkis bars, do your shock setup and tune with the bars. Stiffer REAR (hole 2 or 3, further from end = more oversteer (less understeer depending on if you're a half-full v. half-empty kinda person. Heh heh. )

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-19-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Hotlaprc

O.K. ... Will do a before and after photo and measument. Funny part is bilstien usa does not even know the specs of the eibach pro kit springs. Seems the kit is assembled and speced in Europe. So I do have an email in to eibach Europe for the specs on the coil springs.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:24 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

God I hope the swifts don't lower as much as advertised. I scrape on things at stock height. I was considering making a urethane spacer to go between the mount and spring in the front to keep it a little higher and to match the rear drop, but I used szwickliffe's measurements for fender height and found them to be adequate and not much of a drop from stock, maybe 3/4" tops. If that's the case, I'll leave it as is. I wanted to do the install this weekend but my back is still killing me from moving and it's hotter than [insert animal orifice here] this weekend.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Hotlaprc

Bilstein pro kit is here .... Part number 49-190529. I confirmed the kit did come with B8 shocks. Now need to find some time to get the shocks and springs put on! I originally was set on swift springs instead of the eibach springs but now after seeing spring rates on both are so similar I'm gonna use the eibach springs for now and see how they do.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Hotlaprc

I got home from work, jacked up the rear and did the rear shocks and springs in about an hour. I started on the front but decided I wanted to replace the front shock spring cushions so gonna grab this in the morning and wrap up the front .... 3 hour job total front and rear not to difficult at all.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Hotlaprc

Finished up the front ..... Very simple and no spring compressor needed. When unbolting the top shock mount from the Stock shock there is a pre load so either tie the spring down to keep it from flying off or ... Like me let her rip!! It just pops off about 2 feet no major hazard. Also you need to pop out the bump stop from the top shock mount before installing the top shock mount on the new bilstien shocks .... First little drive and the car is more firm but not rough at all. The drop IS NOT 1" ... More like 1/2" we will see as the springs settle. Over all very happy ... Hope it drops a hair more. These springs and shocks along with the hotchkis sway bars I installed about a month ago make the 350z a very capable car!!! Handling IS VERY responsive and controllable. If you are looking for a major drop ... This is not the kit for you.

Last edited by Hotlaprc; 06-24-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:27 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Finished up the front ..... Very simple and no spring compressor needed. When unbolting the top shock mount from the Stock shock there is a pre load so either tie the spring down to keep it from flying off or ... Like me let her rip!! It just pops off about 2 feet no major hazard. Also you need to pop out the bump stop from the top shock mount before installing the top shock mount on the new bilstien shocks .... First little drive and the car is more firm but not rough at all. The drop IS NOT 1" ... More like 1/2" we will see as the springs settle. Over all very happy ... Hope it drops a hair more. These springs and shocks along with the hotchkis sway bars I installed about a month ago make the 350z a very capable car!!! Handling is not very responsive and controllable. If you are looking for a major drop ... This is not the kit for you.
Typo??

If not, it's all about the tires then.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Hotlaprc

Bwwwaaahahahha .... Edited ... Handling IS VERY RESPONSIVE AND CONTROLABLE. The car has much more dampening and rebound control. I drive up and down the 67 in San diego every day back and forth to work. This is a curvy mountain road so I have a good feel of what the car did stock, then with hotchkis sway bars and now with bilstien b8 shocks and eibach coils. I am very impressed and now I need more meat!!! RPF1's ... 18x9 1/2 all around ... 18x10 1/2 all around ... Or 18x9 1/2 front with 18x10 1/2 rear .... That's the question now!?!?!

Last edited by Hotlaprc; 06-24-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Bwwwaaahahahha .... Edited ... Handling IS VERY RESPONSIVE AND CONTROLABLE. The car has much more dampening and rebound control. I drive up and down the 67 in San diego every day back and forth to work. This is a curvy mountain road so I have a good feel of what the car did stock, then with hotchkis sway bars and now with bilstien b8 shocks and eibach coils. I am very impressed and now I need more meat!!! RPF1's ... 18x9 1/2 all around ... 18x10 1/2 all around ... Or 18x9 1/2 front with 18x10 1/2 rear .... That's the question now!?!?!

Hot setup:

18x9.5 +15F/18x10.5 +15R,
245/40-18F / 275/40-18R
No spacers required, maintains proper stagger (although square setup is OK), generally no roll required.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:47 PM
JMSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to provide pictures of how my Bilstein B12 Pro-kit turned out. Rear seems to have raised a little since camber pulled in from -2.7 to -1.5. Unrelated to the kit, I'll most likely get a 10 or 15mm spacer for the rear to complete look.

Last edited by JMSpeed; 06-25-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:12 PM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a good look. Any rubbing on really big bumps, front or rear?

Quick Reply: Bilstien pro kit or sport line kit?!?!?