Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake Nooby questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 05:28 PM
bubbleteaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Nooby questions

So i today i changed my brake pads did everything perfectly, but when i went to go test drive it there was a really weird smell, maybe its from the new brakes?I don't roll back on small hills but huge hills i do. also , before my brake change i was rolled back on my driveway, now it barely rolls back. Help would be much appreciated
Old 06-25-2015, 06:11 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

did you take loose the reservoir cap when you compressed the pistons?
Old 06-25-2015, 06:42 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
did you take loose the reservoir cap when you compressed the pistons?
^^^ Great observation, Trav.

Air in the system keeping the pistons in pressure contact with pads.

Also, proper bed-in procedures followed?

I've not seen it written here (but haven't looked, to be honest, laff...) so....

Brake Bedding for Dummies

1. After replacing pads, test the brakes, do they stop the car? If no, go back and check everything you did.

2. Repeat. When "yes, they stop OK", go to #3.

3. Drive the car slowly <20mph while dragging the brakes slightly to heat them up. Do this for at least a few blocks - never mind the stops that you make at stop signs/lights, just do this for at least a mile or so to get them sufficiently warmed and properly seated against the pistons and aligned with the rotors properly.

4. Now, find an open road that it's safe to stop or slow down on without getting punted from behind (no cars around, straight is ideal).

5. Accelerate car to ~40mph. At 40mph, STAND ON THE BRAKE PEDAL hard enough to bring your car to a roll (NOT A STOP, VERY IMPORTANT).

6. Repeat this 4-6x. You may (or may not) smell brake odors.

7. Once done with this, cruise the car at moderate speed - about 30-35 - with NO BRAKES APPLIED to allow them to cool down - a mile or so is good.

8. Repeat step 5-7 at least one more time.

9. You're done.

Purpose of brake bedding is to get the pads and rotors to gain familiarity with one another like a man and a woman on the first couple of dates. In actuality, it's to build a common glaze between two unfamiliar components.

If you are still experiencing any issues following Trav's suggestions and making sure you bedded them properly, look for other issues.

Mic
Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Noobs posting in the wrong section for a technical question deserves one of these:
Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 PM
travlee
Master

or this......

Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
^^^ Great observation, Trav.

Air in the system keeping the pistons in pressure contact with pads.

Also, proper bed-in procedures followed?

I've not seen it written here (but haven't looked, to be honest, laff...) so....

Brake Bedding for Dummies

1. After replacing pads, test the brakes, do they stop the car? If no, go back and check everything you did.

2. Repeat. When "yes, they stop OK", go to #3.

3. Drive the car slowly <20mph while dragging the brakes slightly to heat them up. Do this for at least a few blocks - never mind the stops that you make at stop signs/lights, just do this for at least a mile or so to get them sufficiently warmed and properly seated against the pistons and aligned with the rotors properly.

4. Now, find an open road that it's safe to stop or slow down on without getting punted from behind (no cars around, straight is ideal).

5. Accelerate car to ~40mph. At 40mph, STAND ON THE BRAKE PEDAL hard enough to bring your car to a roll (NOT A STOP, VERY IMPORTANT).

6. Repeat this 4-6x. You may (or may not) smell brake odors.

7. Once done with this, cruise the car at moderate speed - about 30-35 - with NO BRAKES APPLIED to allow them to cool down - a mile or so is good.

8. Repeat step 5-7 at least one more time.

9. You're done.

Purpose of brake bedding is to get the pads and rotors to gain familiarity with one another like a man and a woman on the first couple of dates. In actuality, it's to build a common glaze between two unfamiliar components.

If you are still experiencing any issues following Trav's suggestions and making sure you bedded them properly, look for other issues.

Mic

I thought it was from 60 down to 5 and back up to 60 and back down to 5 and back to 60 and down to 5 and so on for 5 times.

Thats what stoptech told me to do. And honestly i agreex 1 stop doesnt seem enough.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 PM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's normal. I recently changed all the pads and rotors on my 99 maxima and it gave off the same burning/funky odor. It's just the new parts settling in. That's all. As long as the car is being stopped and the brake fluid reservoir is looking okay, then you're fine

Last edited by CNunes_95; 06-25-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:23 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Irrelevant to what OP is asking, but I've always thought you Americans called it "Boba"? No one seems to understand me when I say bubble tea.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:49 AM
bubbleteaZ

Originally Posted by dSpaceman
Irrelevant to what OP is asking, but I've always thought you Americans called it "Boba"? No one seems to understand me when I say bubble tea.
We call it boba/bubbletea/milk tea here in California i like to call it bubbletea beacuse it sounds better lol
Old 06-26-2015, 02:39 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by turboed350z
I thought it was from 60 down to 5 and back up to 60 and back down to 5 and back to 60 and down to 5 and so on for 5 times.

Thats what stoptech told me to do. And honestly i agreex 1 stop doesnt seem enough.
Welllllll, I doubt that either would be ineffective as compared to NOT doing the procedure at all. In any event, I have always done it at lower speed because that's the room I had to work with and pretty much all the people I know do it at that speed as well with nary a single sunsequent problem from lack of bite or grab. To me, 60 seems excessive with such a great amount of pad burn (based on my nose.... heh heh).
Old 06-26-2015, 02:43 PM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by CNunes_95
It's normal. I recently changed all the pads and rotors on my 99 maxima and it gave off the same burning/funky odor. It's just the new parts settling in. That's all. As long as the car is being stopped and the brake fluid reservoir is looking okay, then you're fine
i have never had new pads and rotors smell after changing them..... did you spray off the oil that is on them with brake cleaner before you put them on?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:43 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bubbleteaZ
We call it boba/bubbletea/milk tea here in California i like to call it bubbletea beacuse it sounds better lol
"No thanks, I don't want one of them drinks that tastes like feet."

- Mic's Wife, 2015

We just had that conversation about a week ago. Subsequently, her assistant, came back to visit her with TWO bobas and she loved 'em cuz she didn't order "foot flavor" for my wife.

And now there are people not familiar with "pearls in libations" going "WTF? "
Old 06-26-2015, 02:44 PM
travlee
Master

how does your wife know what feet taste like? does she have a foot fetish? i know sometimes they smell like fritos
Old 06-26-2015, 07:42 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

how does your wife know what feet taste like? does she have a foot fetish? i know sometimes they smell like fritos
That's EXACTLY what I axked her!!

Her response: "Well, they taste like what I IMAGINE they'd taste like."

Me: "Nice back pedal. Can you teach me how to do that so I can ride my son's fixie?"

Stony silence after that for some reason...
Old 06-27-2015, 11:53 AM
bubbleteaZ

I Fixed it, i took took everything off and just put it on again. When i first took the Caliper off it was really tough but by the time i put it back it fit like a glove. I sprayed purple power when i cleaned the rotors so maybe that was the cause of the smell. I love boba try Taro Milk tea its the bomb.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:42 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bubbleteaZ
I Fixed it, i took took everything off and just put it on again. When i first took the Caliper off it was really tough but by the time i put it back it fit like a glove. I sprayed purple power when i cleaned the rotors so maybe that was the cause of the smell. I love boba try Taro Milk tea its the bomb.
Off topic..... BubbleteaZ, you in NorCal or SoCal? There's this place in Mountain View, over on Castro that has boba and TOAST. Weirdest place I've ever been but ya, Taro Milk tea....good. But you gotta like taro.

OK, back on topic.... glad you got the brakes fixed.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:27 AM
bubbleteaZ

I live in Norcal, i live 40 minutes away from Mountainview. But ive never heard of boba on toast that sounds really weird , i feel like it would not taste that good. Not that many good boba places near me though all we have is quicklys ,t4 and Tap ex. On Z topic i also installed 32mm spacers and 25mm . Thank ya Mic
Old 06-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z

I'm sure the exact speeds at which you start and stop at don't really make a difference. What matters is just that you get everything really hot. When I got my new pads and rotors I did about 5 hard slow downs from 60ish to 10ish. By the 4th one you could hear that they were significantly hotter.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:47 PM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never had new pads and rotors smell after changing them..... did you spray off the oil that is on them with brake cleaner before you put them on?
Yes I did. The parts come pre-lubricated only to prevent rust build up while the parts are sitting on the selves at the warehouse. Not cleaning off the rotors could cause your brakes to not run as efficiently as it should be. If you sprayed the rotors with brake cleaner and lubricated the brake pad shims with brake lube before you reinstall the caliper, and as long as the car stops well, you're fine

Last edited by CNunes_95; 06-30-2015 at 08:49 PM.