Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

HKS III Sport vs. ISC Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:15 AM
93viperrt10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HKS III Sport vs. ISC Coilovers

I am looking to purchase a set of coilovers for my 350Z Track. I run about 20 HPDE events a year so a track/race set up is needed.

ISC Coilovers got a great write up in GrassRoots Motorsport for their 350Z project car. They are apparently made overseas (Australia I think) but serviced out of New England. You can order them with a custom set up and they can be rebuilt. I called their HQ and spoke to are really knowledgeable English speaking guy who was a huge help. They can be had for about $800 which seems like a great price for a quality setup.

On the other hand, HKS III Sports are out there in the used market. They look like a high quality setup but since they left the USA, seems impossible to get serviced. It would seem you would have to get a really great price for them to make sense.

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with either?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

HKS is ok, but as mentioned they are hard/impossible to get rebuilt. I would look into Fortune, Feal or ISC as mentioned.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I read the Grassroots article. Nails a lot of fundamentals specific to these cars. And thank god the ISC setup isn't a truecoilover rear which all too often have far too much rear spring rate at the wheel. But the article could have mentioned one thing, something that could have explained the mystery of why they'd be so trusting of a product that generally rarely measures up in the court of fact. No shock dyno was mentioned, let alone published.

What would I do?
I'm not convinced that just because someone at Grassroots choose the product on the merits of someone else ranting about them is enough (again no dynos mentioned or published). Get ISC to send them to you. Beware of generic dyno's not run on a 350Z coilover.

Perfect chart would be run, 0-ips to 10-ips in (ips= inches per second, in LBS of course)
full soft
8 clicks
16 clicks
24 clicks
full stiff
And if they are really brave show me a hysteresis loop (force vs velocity).
Old 07-04-2015, 05:23 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

And Gsedan35 is back!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
I read the Grassroots article. Nails a lot of fundamentals specific to these cars. And thank god the ISC setup isn't a truecoilover rear which all too often have far too much rear spring rate at the wheel. But the article could have mentioned one thing, something that could have explained the mystery of why they'd be so trusting of a product that generally rarely measures up in the court of fact. No shock dyno was mentioned, let alone published.

What would I do?
I'm not convinced that just because someone at Grassroots choose the product on the merits of someone else ranting about them is enough (again no dynos mentioned or published). Get ISC to send them to you. Beware of generic dyno's not run on a 350Z coilover.

Perfect chart would be run, 0-ips to 10-ips in (ips= inches per second, in LBS of course)
full soft
8 clicks
16 clicks
24 clicks
full stiff
And if they are really brave show me a hysteresis loop (force vs velocity).
wow, nice to see you back on the forum, hope you stick around. I have a set of hypermax III coilovers partially based on your recommendations.

OP, for what it's worth my set of hypermax III coils have held up incredibly well with daily driver usage and multiple track days over the past 4 years. No signs of blown seals or leaks and the shocks feel as good as ever. Probably one of my best buys.

I was actually eyeballing those hypermax III sports as a potential upgrade...
Old 07-09-2015, 04:52 AM
g3rard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can go wrong with HKS. They are good for street use and light track duty.