Suspension makeover help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:00 PM
ForumZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension makeover help

Hi all,

Little background information:
I purchased my 350z 8yrs ago and never really modded it (few things here and there) until recently, when my clutch went out and I replaced it with a JWT lightweight flywheel and z1 performance street clutch. I'm now looking into possibly turbocharging it or putting in a new motor and turbo charging it, and upgrading the exhaust/suspension.

With that being said, here is what I'm looking to purchase suspension wise:
Coilovers ($900-$1600)
Transverse lower front arms for both. Possibly all control arms?

Yes I have looked through the search, and I have found many different opinions from years ago, not many recent. with that said, any advice with what coilovers you would recommend within the price range, as well as, should I replace all the control arms, or just the transverse ones that need to be (bushing gone). Lastly, what control arms would you recommend.

Thanks,
fourmZ
Old 07-21-2015, 02:29 PM
350Z.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Set up your goal. I know you said "turbocharging it" that's cool.
But what is your goal drift? drag race? daily or what.

As what I know, coilover for drift is completely different than daily also it is much more rough.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by ForumZ
Hi all,

Little background information:
I purchased my 350z 8yrs ago and never really modded it (few things here and there) until recently, when my clutch went out and I replaced it with a JWT lightweight flywheel and z1 performance street clutch. I'm now looking into possibly turbocharging it or putting in a new motor and turbo charging it, and upgrading the exhaust/suspension.

With that being said, here is what I'm looking to purchase suspension wise:
Coilovers ($900-$1600)
Transverse lower front arms for both. Possibly all control arms?

Yes I have looked through the search, and I have found many different opinions from years ago, not many recent. with that said, any advice with what coilovers you would recommend within the price range, as well as, should I replace all the control arms, or just the transverse ones that need to be (bushing gone). Lastly, what control arms would you recommend.

Thanks,
fourmZ
First thing you want to do before jumping into suspension work is ask yourself these questions and answer honestly (If you lie it's only to yourself. ):

1. What do I want to do with the car? Daily? Dual purpose/weekend warrior?

2. With that answered, answer this... Why do I want coilovers? And the follow-on, Will I be adjusting jounce, rebound, height frequently? Do I want coilovers because I just want to go knuckle dragging low? Do I want them because it's the most discussed upgrade on the forums?

Once you can answer those questions, share those answers with the forum and you can get a better, more concise and spot on answer.

My two cents, if you want to do the suspension right for a street driven, occasional HPDE/autoX/canyon runner:

In this order:

1. Good alignment. As much as you can adjust on the stock suspension. Toe is the really the only thing you can adjust readily. Make sure it's on.

2. Good tires (and lightweight wheels at the same time if you can, otherwise stock alloys are fine.) Tires are the MOST CRITICAL upgrade and component on a good handling car. It is the tires you need to please by upgrading your hardware.

3. Anti-sway bars - giving your car the steering neutrality you want and removing any tendencies to lean, thereby reducing the effect of lateral weight transfer - which affect handling a LOT.

4. Shocks and/or Shocks/Springs. Or coilovers if you still want them.

5. Alignment correction hardware (if determined by post install alignment check, it's needed) - Adjustable UCA front, camber and toe adjusters out back.

Here's the most recent thread on setting up a non-coilover suspension that works: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html

Good luck.

Mic