Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

From linear to progressive, worth it for a little more low?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 07:49 AM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default From linear to progressive, worth it for a little more low?

Hey fellas,

I've had Hotchkis springs on my 07 for several years now, and I love the way it rides and handles. I chose the springs mainly because they are linear, knowing the predictability of the same spring rate throughout suspension travel was worth a bit of a harsher ride. But for being a linear spring the ride has been surprisingly comfortable, probably due to it's softer rear spring rates....Now, I recently purchased smaller diameter wheels and the fender gap has become a bit more obvious, and I'm wanting to be a tad lower now. The springs I'm considering are the Eibach Pro Kits, and I'm just wondering if it's worth going to a progressive spring for the additional 1/4 inch drop. I'm about function over form, and after the extensive research I've done on the subject I've found too much conflicting info. Strictly performance wise, which spring set would you chose? Any opinions/input/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertSleeper
Hey fellas,

I've had Hotchkis springs on my 07 for several years now, and I love the way it rides and handles. I chose the springs mainly because they are linear, knowing the predictability of the same spring rate throughout suspension travel was worth a bit of a harsher ride. But for being a linear spring the ride has been surprisingly comfortable, probably due to it's softer rear spring rates....Now, I recently purchased smaller diameter wheels and the fender gap has become a bit more obvious, and I'm wanting to be a tad lower now. The springs I'm considering are the Eibach Pro Kits, and I'm just wondering if it's worth going to a progressive spring for the additional 1/4 inch drop. I'm about function over form, and after the extensive research I've done on the subject I've found too much conflicting info. Strictly performance wise, which spring set would you chose? Any opinions/input/suggestions will be highly appreciated.
ProKits are fine but I frankly don't think they're going to serve your purpose any better than the Hotchkis. I have the ProKit set and the way they behave (with near coilbound pigtails now that they've settled in) is closer (according to ButtDyno only) to linear.

In addition, ProKits only lower about 19mm (that, based on my car only). If you're already on Hotchkis and want to go lower, the next option from Eibach is the Sportline, which will drop closer to advertised.

As an aside, a lot depends on the shock you're using in determining your drop. With Bilstein (as in the Bilstein ProKit setup), the car will be even higher (or less drop) due to the "legendary" behavior/tendency of the Bilstein HD or Sport shocks (B6/B8) to raise the car up roughly 1/4" or ~6mm.

On that note as well, ProKit with Bilstein offers a good ride and documentable performance enhancement. With Koni (my current), the ride has degraded (however, not objectionably) a fair amount but performance maintained.

All in all, I'd say "no" on the ProKit given your particular situation.

Just my devalued $.02...

Mic
The following users liked this post:
DesertSleeper (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 01:28 PM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
ProKits are fine but I frankly don't think they're going to serve your purpose any better than the Hotchkis. I have the ProKit set and the way they behave (with near coilbound pigtails now that they've settled in) is closer (according to ButtDyno only) to linear.

In addition, ProKits only lower about 19mm (that, based on my car only). If you're already on Hotchkis and want to go lower, the next option from Eibach is the Sportline, which will drop closer to advertised.

As an aside, a lot depends on the shock you're using in determining your drop. With Bilstein (as in the Bilstein ProKit setup), the car will be even higher (or less drop) due to the "legendary" behavior/tendency of the Bilstein HD or Sport shocks (B6/B8) to raise the car up roughly 1/4" or ~6mm.

On that note as well, ProKit with Bilstein offers a good ride and documentable performance enhancement. With Koni (my current), the ride has degraded (however, not objectionably) a fair amount but performance maintained.

All in all, I'd say "no" on the ProKit given your particular situation.

Just my devalued $.02...

Mic

That actually helps me a lot. If the drop is only 19mm and not the 25mm they advertise, then it would be identical to the hotchkis drop I have now and defeat the purpose. From what I see the sportlines lower much more than the advertised 1.2", way too low for my taste and completely out of the question.

I read your review on the Bilstein vs Koni setups, it was very informational. Next time I'm in the market for shocks I wanna get the Bilsteins B8s but I don't wanna be any higher than I am, so once I do I may give the Swift SpecR springs a shot, which seem to have a great rep, lower a little more and would compensate for the higher Bilstein ride.....

Thanks for the input Mic, it's truly appreciated
Old 07-17-2015, 06:30 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertSleeper
That actually helps me a lot. If the drop is only 19mm and not the 25mm they advertise, then it would be identical to the hotchkis drop I have now and defeat the purpose. From what I see the sportlines lower much more than the advertised 1.2", way too low for my taste and completely out of the question.

I read your review on the Bilstein vs Koni setups, it was very informational. Next time I'm in the market for shocks I wanna get the Bilsteins B8s but I don't wanna be any higher than I am, so once I do I may give the Swift SpecR springs a shot, which seem to have a great rep, lower a little more and would compensate for the higher Bilstein ride.....

Thanks for the input Mic, it's truly appreciated
Glad I could offer some perspective!

Mic