Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

rattling/clunking sound after sway bar install

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:33 AM
ntwillie1

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default rattling/clunking sound after sway bar install

Hi guys. I had my Hotchkis Sway bars and Powergrid end links installed a few months back. Due to it being winter I didn't use the car much. Now that I have been driving it a little bit in the summer I have noticed a rattling sound. I can't recall the holes I had the sway bar installed on but I believe I went with the softest setting for both front and rear.

Anyway, when I'm accelerating in the car I do not hear the clunking sound. When the car is decelerating and the weight shifts forward I hear a clunking sound. When the car is cruising at a constant speed I do not hear the sound.

I jacked the car up and verified that it isn't my exhaust touching the sway bar or anything like that. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? A mechanic I know came by my house and took a quick look around as he was really there for one of my other cars and he thought it might be the end links. I would hope not because the Power Grids are not cheap and also they were brand new when I installed them. Anyway, thanks in advance.

W
Old 07-17-2015, 09:39 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ite:my350z.com
Old 07-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Hotlaprc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same issue after hotchkis sway bar and power grid end link install. I put new bilstein shocks and eibach springs and still have clunk. The clunk is when you turn the steering wheel lock to lock. Start your car and turn the wheel all the way to the left and all the way to the right ... WITH THE CAR NOT MOVING ... If you hear the clunk it may be the steering rack. I have searched and searched and found this may be my issue.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:00 PM
ntwillie1

Thanks for the reply hotlaprc. I don't think that's my issue. I'm going to start undoing my upgrades one by one to figure out the issue. Sux but that's the only path I can try.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 PM
jenxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it clunk when you press on the brakes? Check your Bushings, specifically compression rod bushing.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Endlinks need adjustment. I installed coilovers lowering the car some and i test drove andclunked like crazy. Re adjusted my whiteline endlinks and clunk is gone
Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 AM
ntwillie1

Jenxins - not really. More like when the car is decelerating. It happens weather or not I use the brakes.

Nismo - thanks for the suggestion. I will look at those again. I had my mechanic take a quick look the other day and he had said the endlinks looked fine but he didn't adjust anything. I think that's worth a shot.

W
Old 09-08-2015, 04:07 AM
Lug

I had the same problem after installing my new suspension parts. Like you I have power grid end links and hotchkis sway bars.

Before you do anything crazy like disassembling your suspension, start by making sure the adjustable part of your end links are tight. I had my front right end link loosen up and it was the cause of some clunking noises.

Next make sure the lock nuts are tight that secure the end links to the sway bar. I've had to tighten my end link nuts a few times since installing them. I believe its the nylon lock nuts that keep coming loose. Its been suggested to me to ditch the nylon lock nuts and go with stainless steel lock nuts to keep them from loosening. As they loosen they make noise.

I'd tighten everything up before removing any parts.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:42 PM
ntwillie1

I'll post this up only because I don't think I ever put my resolution here. A year or so ago I took my car to R/T Tuning for a tuneup. I asked them to take a look at the clunking sound and they found that the sound was coming from a broken exhaust hanger. So they replaced it and ever since then its been clunk free driving for me. What a difference it is to not be annoyed when i drive the car. Makes it fun again.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:52 PM
mdiioia@gmail.c

When I accelerate from a complete stop I hear what sounds like coins in a can rattling. Mavis mechanic replaced driver side sway bar and told me passenger side needs to be replaced as well.
Car is 2010 with 42,000 miles on it. Is that normal for bars to go bad? Thanks Mike
Old 06-28-2019, 02:02 PM
260DET

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Make sure when installing the end links in the LCA and bar that suitable flat washers are used both sides at each end. Funny but I messaged Whiteline just the other day saying that their hardware was rubbish and that flanged nuts would be better than the nyloc nuts. I also dumped the solid Whiteline bar for a larger in diameter hollow bar, saved a few kg there. Because race car.