Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Akebono vs Brembo

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

And one thing I should add to my first about how I prefer the Akebonos over the Brembos, my Brembos squeal like bloody hell for the first few stops every single time I start the car. Pads and rotors are in excellent shape, and it's done this since they were brand new. Braking performance is unaffected, but it's a bit embarassing when I leave work on my lunch break and at the end of the day and I'm sqeaking through the lot until the pads heat up a few stops later.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Well, why not just get the Infiniti calipers then? $250 is a lot of money for color bling when they don't stop the car any better. Personally find the whole red caliper fad way overdone.... especially when you have the fake Brembo caliper COVERS crowd "showin'." Ptoooie. "Hello EBay, I gots to git me summa dem!"

This picture is actually from another forum as a "DIY: Brembo caliper cover installation" post. A *serious* post. Won't say what marque it is but thank gawd it ain't here.... and if it ever does show up here, I'm down for IP blocking.

But yeah, I get buying a set of Brems in factory gold or APs or whatever in factory red but I'm not going to pay extra for it.

This DIY was exactly what i was looking for! Thanks Mic, i was getting frustrated because i couldnt figured out how to install my set. But this makes it better! Stopping power has definitely increased!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Phenom
With ABS modulating brake pressure, I'd imagine the greater clamping force gives the BBKs a slight edge as it has more leverage to control the rotor. I can't really explain it that clearly but what I'm trying to say is that when the ABS sensor detects lock up and decreases brake pressure, only to increase it shortly after, then repeat this process until the brakes stop locking up, the larger brakes are more effective at reapplying stopping force. The initial split seconds when brake pressure is reapplied is where the larger brakes have a slight advantage. Just my guess though.

To be fair, you shouldnt be braking to the poibt where the abs activate. Im not 100% sure, but when i was bedding in my pads, my tires started to slide before the abs was activated. Like Terr said, after the first bite, the tire does the stopping. And theres no point in buying 2k set of brakes and rolling on 400$ cheap quality tires.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

i cringe when i see corvette with the caliper covers... especially since the brake are already big
Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Well that was a long post for nothing lol cause I don't want red. Never! I wanted the grey Nissan ones
Nah, wasn't a waste of time.... I got to vent on the faux peoples. Heheh heheheh..... But yeah, I hear ya... dunno why the Infiniti grippers are less. No sense to me neither.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:35 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by turboed350z
This DIY was exactly what i was looking for! Thanks Mic, i was getting frustrated because i couldnt figured out how to install my set. But this makes it better! Stopping power has definitely increased!
Anything to help a bud, T'bo. Didja get the red ones or the uber trick violet colored ones? Those add 23.2whp and stop you 112.67 ft sooner from 25mph.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Anything to help a bud, T'bo. Didja get the red ones or the uber trick violet colored ones? Those add 23.2whp and stop you 112.67 ft sooner from 25mph.
I got the one with the built in led lights. Its gonna keep the brakes cooler so i can track leman 24hrs race. Its super awsome. Help my 0-200mph time too.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Phenom
Toasty

To be fair, you shouldnt be braking to the poibt where the abs activate. Im not 100% sure, but when i was bedding in my pads, my tires started to slide before the abs was activated. Like Terr said, after the first bite, the tire does the stopping. And theres no point in buying 2k set of brakes and rolling on 400$ cheap quality tires.
But in the test we're talking about, they simply stomp on the brake and let the ABS bring the car to a stop (unless I'm assuming incorrectly). There's a 2 ft discrepancy, and ABS probably came into play, so I'm just looking for reasons why.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:02 AM
turboed350z

But in the test we're talking about, they simply stomp on the brake and let the ABS bring the car to a stop (unless I'm assuming incorrectly). There's a 2 ft discrepancy, and ABS probably came into play, so I'm just looking for reasons why.
Yea youre right, they did just stomp on it.to me, and this is just my opinion, i believe there are many factors that comes into play, sure the abs is probably one of them, but 2 feet is a long distance to say it was all the abs.

Could be the bbk was able to grip the rotors and stop it a split mili second better due to "more grip" from the larger surface area. All speculations though.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Yea youre right, they did just stomp on it.to me, and this is just my opinion, i believe there are many factors that comes into play, sure the abs is probably one of them, but 2 feet is a long distance to say it was all the abs.

Could be the bbk was able to grip the rotors and stop it a split mili second better due to "more grip" from the larger surface area. All speculations though.
That was the point I was trying to make. Both setups can clamp down hard enough to stop the wheel from spinning. ABS forces the brake to release pressure to get the wheel spinning again. The brakes then have to reapply pressure to continue braking. By pointing out that ABS came into play I was simply saying that due to the repeated release and reapplication of brake pressure, there are multiple opportunities the BBK to be more effective during the reapplication process (even if it's ever so slightly).
Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

This controversial topic is very much like stance vs. racecar, fake vs real, HR vs DE.... etc.

I specifically wanted a new look and didn't care for the extra stopping power... if there are any over my 07' oem set up. I would go with a true bbk set up if I wanted the extra stoppage such as Brembo GT, StopTech, Wilwood, Rotora etc.

The Akebono name sound cheap with not much history compare to Brembo (correct me if I'm wrong). Despite their bigger caliper, rotor size, color selection etc... both being the same price (used)... I still chose Brembo. After reading this thread and many other posts during my research before my purchase... I have no regret. Even if the Akebono system edges out Brembo, I am happy with my upgrade... can't go wrong with either system on a budget price.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by stogey420time
This controversial topic is very much like stance vs. racecar, fake vs real, HR vs DE.... etc.

I specifically wanted a new look and didn't care for the extra stopping power... if there are any over my 07' oem set up. I would go with a true bbk set up if I wanted the extra stoppage such as Brembo GT, StopTech, Wilwood, Rotora etc.

The Akebono name sound cheap with not much history compare to Brembo (correct me if I'm wrong). Despite their bigger caliper, rotor size, color selection etc... both being the same price (used)... I still chose Brembo. After reading this thread and many other posts during my research before my purchase... I have no regret. Even if the Akebono system edges out Brembo, I am happy with my upgrade... can't go wrong with either system on a budget price.
I mostly did it for looks and whatever performance gain that came with it was an added bonus.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:04 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stogey420time
can't go wrong with either system on a budget price.
Agree 100%. It is personal preference. Both are great choices.

By the way, Akebono has been in business since 1929, Brembo started in 1961.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

2 feet could be the heat in the tire, road surface etc etc. 2 feet is really nothing, sure it could be the difference between a minor damage or no damage but in the grand scheme, insignificant
Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by terrasmak
2 feet could be the heat in the tire, road surface etc etc. 2 feet is really nothing, sure it could be the difference between a minor damage or no damage but in the grand scheme, insignificant
Yeah good points. I guess if it's consistently 2 feet under controlled conditions you can start looking at performance differences but it's more than likely able to be chalked up to the intangibles.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I honestly didn't know they existed until the 370 came out.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Agree 100%. It is personal preference. Both are great choices.

Yeah I did some research on Akebono before buying and they seem like a legitimate manufacturer so I was comfortable with them. Brembo has just done a much better job of advertising their brand and getting their name out there, at least in the US market. Going into contracts with auto makers and stuff like that.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm going to go Akebono for the added heat spread at track and looks. I hate how the Brembo changes after so many heat cycles. Either way I'm buying née from Nissan
Old 08-18-2015, 06:40 PM
cincysilvias14

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

theyre sitting on bridgestone potenza sport tires. not the best but certainly not the worst tire ive ever had. i like them. grips decent once warm ( i love going into s bends and the car just grips)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 PM
350z-Helsinki

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Akebono makes F1 brakes so they know their stuff. But when it comes to 370z brakes those are made with a budget and the design is similar to the cheap OEM brembos. Only benefit is that you can fit larger discs that can take more heat.

I track my Z and it's obvious that the Brembos can't take the abuse in the long run without extra cooling ducts. I ran 2-piece rotors in front with Brembos and those helped with disc warp.

I just installed my Akebonos with 2-piece CZP rotors. They look really nice. At the track there was no brake fade and they stayed cooler due to their larger size and mass.

I got a sweet deal of a Akebono setup. And have used it for one trackday. I have no complaints. Good pedal feel and no brake fade. I used Ferodo DS2500, Motul RBF600 and and stainless brakelines. Installation is not much harder than with Brembos. You only need front adapters and you need to cut the heat shield.

For the street I'd just use the ugly oem brakes. But if you wan't the looks, Akebono is a winner...

Like it was said big brakes won't help with stopping distances, unless it's multiple consecutive stops. Good tires will shorten the stopping distance and also demand more from the brake pads and brakes. You shouldn't underestimate the importance of a good brake pad.

Last edited by 350z-Helsinki; 08-18-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Akebono vs Brembo