Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Abs Issue That Needs Attention

Old 11-12-2015, 01:13 AM
kennyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs Issue That Needs Attention

Hey guys I've searched this forum for any solutions numerous times and I can't find an answer as to what's causing this problem (that I haven't fixed already). So ever since I got my Z, 3 years ago I've had a problem with the abs system. A few months after I got the car I had the abs pump fail on me which caused it to stay on and drain my battery giving me the abs and brake light to be on, no biggie so I replaced the abs pump. Since it was so long ago I don't remember if the abs and brake light ever went away. So last year the lights on the dash and abs pump buzzing for 2 seconds when the wheels first rotate got really annoying and I replaced the rear abs sensors, light still doesn't turn off. I even changed the differential (reasons other than trying to fix this issue) I didn't expect it to fix it, and I was right because it didn't. Now that rain season is going to start I daily drive my car so I want to try and find the issue that's causing this for safety concerns. I have full aftermarket suspension, but even when I got the car it was 100% stock so I know it's not my suspension causing it. My z doesn't come equipped with tpms if that matters. Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I should be looking at ?

I've replaced
Abs pump
Rear abs sensors
Differential
Both rear wheel bearings

Symptoms
Once the wheels rotate about 2 times the abs/brake light come on and the abs pump buzzes for 2-3 seconds and stops buzzing after those seconds have passed. The light stays on and I don't think they have ever turned off since I've had the car

I've checked around the brakes etc numerous times and never saw anything out of the ordinary or damaged. I've scanned the car with my scanner and it's not throwing any codes.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by kennyy; 11-12-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

sounds like it is about time to take it to dealership,
Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Does your home scanning unit have the ability to check both BCM and ABS features? If there's CEL, there's a code in there showing. If not, I agree with trav, take it to a Nissan dealership and get a tech with a CONSULT III unit to diagnose what's going on.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Does your home scanning unit have the ability to check both BCM and ABS features? If there's CEL, there's a code in there showing. If not, I agree with trav, take it to a Nissan dealership and get a tech with a CONSULT III unit to diagnose what's going on.
^^^ This (and Trav's answer).

OK, all you anti-dealership people, here goes again.... This is definitely something for a Nissan tech to diagnose (and maybe fix, if it's a simple one).

Sidenote, saw the title of this thread and thought it was a Lounge fitness topic. My answer was: "Crunches and other core strengthening workouts."

Think.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:27 PM
kennyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I see what you mean with the lounge fitness topic LOL sorry about that

I would take it to the dealer but I feel they're gonna say it's a result of my suspension etc which I know it's not because even when it was stock it occurred (they probably won't believe that) so I wanted to diagnose every possible option before taking it to the dealership
Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

So many people hate dealerships and yet I have had nothing but great experiences with the one near me. They have helped me a lot n saved me a good amount of money. I believe its $100 an hr for a diagnostic with no code.