Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rebuilding BC type BR coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Rebuilding BC type BR coilovers

First off is there any threads that relate to rebuilding the BC BR coilover? I didn't seem to find any, only Tein rebuilds.

If i rebuild the coilover what am I actually replacing? The shock is $95 bucks from BC and my rears are blown.

Will replacing the shocks be similar to buying brand new BC BR coilovers? its just the shock component that gives it the ride quality right? the springs are still fairly new. I'm thinking that if i replace the shock it will be like a set of new coilovers because that and the spring are the important components in giving you a smoother ride.

Has any one done this?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Basically you just get a new damper unit (shock)

The shock is your main wear item in this system, springs will wear over time , give it another 15 years and you may need to replace them, but then again you have an adjustable spring perch of a coilover so, you can just adjust the wear out if you had any.

Now if you actually wanted to have them rebuilt and improved, you can send them to Odie at Feal suspension. It will cost s bit more, but you will get a rebuilt damper back that has new internals and is much better than the junk you get from BC.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:39 AM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's very easy to disassemble and rebuild. After having my BC coilovers installed for over 3 years I recently installed a new front shock and rear. The front was simple to install, I took the whole shock off the car and spun the collar to make sure I knew how much preload was on the spring and how long the shock was.

I actually expected the rear to be easier than the front except I ran into problems last night when putting it in. The collar on the rear shock was seized on the shock and could not get it off even when putting the shock in a vice and hitting the color with a hammer (and the BC wrench). Ended up stripping the collar and will need to order a new one from BC.

You might want to make sure your rear shocks are not bottoming out. I noticed my rear shock travel is almost non-existent. And the shock top mount shown wear that is was bottoming out. When I jack up the car and let the suspension hang, the left side tire is about 3 inches from the wheel well and the right side is over 4 inches from the well well (with about half inch of preload on each side and the car being level). I think I am going to add more preload on the right side and shorten the shock even more to make sure it's not bottoming out.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

^^^ not really rebuilding. That's just swapping dampers.

Rebuild , is tear the damper apart, replace seals, refill oil, charge the nitrogen and put it on a shock dyno to make sure everything is correct.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Bak3rme

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Basically you just get a new damper unit (shock)

The shock is your main wear item in this system, springs will wear over time , give it another 15 years and you may need to replace them, but then again you have an adjustable spring perch of a coilover so, you can just adjust the wear out if you had any.

Now if you actually wanted to have them rebuilt and improved, you can send them to Odie at Feal suspension. It will cost s bit more, but you will get a rebuilt damper back that has new internals and is much better than the junk you get from BC.
Thanks for help guys. Terrasmak you seem to have helped a few of my previous posts also lol.

I looked into Feal suspension rebuild, this might be something i send out in the winter while my car is stored.
Could you tell me exactly what the difference between a re-valve is and re-build of a coilover? I did not know that there was more to it than the dampener. I thought the dampener/shock was what gave the ride quality in the coilover and that was all to it.

if i do send it out to Feal, will they replace the damper also? and what other parts will they replace.

Last edited by Bak3rme; 11-18-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:58 PM
AARONHL

Why don't you spend 85$ to replace the shock? And if you are rebuilding you still need to take the assembly apart and make sure you prepare for the unexpected.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
Thanks for help guys. Terrasmak you seem to have helped a few of my previous posts also lol.

I looked into Feal suspension rebuild, this might be something i send out in the winter while my car is stored.
Could you tell me exactly what the difference between a re-valve is and re-build of a coilover? I did not know that there was more to it than the dampener. I thought the dampener/shock was what gave the ride quality in the coilover and that was all to it.

if i do send it out to Feal, will they replace the damper also? and what other parts will they replace.
Revalve is when the shim stack on the piston is changed. The goal is to improve the function of the damper. I believe Feal uses different pistons and of course properly valves them the way they should be from BC. BC and the other China companies are not known for building a quality damper.

Rebuild, they tear them fully apart, measure and replace any and all worn parts. Put them back together , fresh oil , service the nitrogen and test the damper function. Feal will do this better than the worker in China that is doing this for $1 a day.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Bak3rme

Revalve is when the shim stack on the piston is changed. The goal is to improve the function of the damper. I believe Feal uses different pistons and of course properly valves them the way they should be from BC. BC and the other China companies are not known for building a quality damper.

Rebuild, they tear them fully apart, measure and replace any and all worn parts. Put them back together , fresh oil , service the nitrogen and test the damper function. Feal will do this better than the worker in China that is doing this for $1 a day.
Thanks Terrasmak. when they "rebuild" am I going to get a new shock/damper? Basically when I rebuild/revalve with Feal, Its like getting a brand new improved set of BC BR coilovers (minus scratches and whatnot)
is it analogous to sending my car to get rebuilt, and the engine and tranny get rebuilt but the body stays the same?
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
Thanks Terrasmak. when they "rebuild" am I going to get a new shock/damper? Basically when I rebuild/revalve with Feal, Its like getting a brand new improved set of BC BR coilovers (minus scratches and whatnot)
is it analogous to sending my car to get rebuilt, and the engine and tranny get rebuilt but the body stays the same?
Correct, you will get a completely refreshed set of dampers that will be better than BC's when new.
The following users liked this post:
Bak3rme (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Bak3rme

Correct, you will get a completely refreshed set of dampers that will be better than BC's when new.
you tha man!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 AM
AARONHL

I C