Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Please Help, Front Suspension Issues and Unusual Rotor Wear

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 PM
aredd2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, Front Suspension Issues and Unusual Rotor Wear

I have been attempting to fix one issue at a time but I have been having front suspension issues for over a year now. The car constantly pulls right and the steering wheel always seems off center (to the right) regardless of correct alignment. The steering wheel shakes when going above 60mph. There is also a clunk noise when going over bumps.

I recently installed new centric cryo rotors with centric post quiet ceramic pads. The transfer material from these pads looks brownish which isn't what I'm used to seeing. Furthermore, on the driver side rotor, there seems to be transfer material only in the center of the rotor (see picture), What could be causing this? Mounting brackets have all been properly torqued. replaced slide pin boots and bushings and used sil-glyde.

I have also done the following within the past 6 months:

replaced lower ball joints, replaced lower control arms, replaced compression rod bushings (oem), upper control arms (adjustable). Numerous alignments, had all wheels balanced and checked 4 times at different shops, all with gsp9700 road force balancer. I plan to change sway bushings and links next.

No play in wheels when car is jacked up. Could this still be a wheel hub/bearing issue?

It is stock height (oem springs) with tokico d-spec shocks, and 245/35r19 front and 275/45r19 back. Tires are michelin pilot super sports.

Please help.

Last edited by aredd2009; 11-18-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I'm not the brake expert, but you're losing at least 25% of contact there! That would concern me. Did you get a mirror to inspect your inboard pads?
Not knowing the history of the car or possible collision damage, confirm that you actually have the correct pads, rotor and caliper for this car and that all is assembled correctly.

Also most shops offer free inspections on brakes, you could get a free professional opinion/safety check and go from there. gl
Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

clunk could be endlinks. the brown, to me, looks like you didnt spray the oil off of the rotor and that is the "bed in" material heating up the oil essentially burning it. as far as not apply equal pressure across the pad, you may need a caliper rebuild. dunno
Old 11-19-2015, 05:42 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

+1 to what trav said. Not properly bedding in a new set of pads and rotors can lead to a number of problems, including uneven deposits on the rotors and glazed pads.

Not the clunk, though, and that could be end links. You only need to disconnect one side of one end link to test, and if the noise goes away, there's your answer.

If the steering wheel isn't centered, that may not have been done during the alignment, and won't show up on your graphs. You center the steering wheel first, then align the suspension.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:25 PM
aredd2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pads and rotors are correct. The centric post-quiet pads claim that they are scorched and recommend against a bed-in procedure. I definitely cleaned the rotors with crc brake cleaner prior to putting them on. My passenger side rotor is wearing evenly but still has a similar brownish color. The reverse side looks similar (see pic). I checked the pistons by pulling back the boots a bit and they seem perfectly fine and clean. The clunk I figured is possibly sway bashing and links which is why I will be replacing those next. Any clues on why this steering shake won't go away?

Last edited by aredd2009; 11-19-2015 at 01:43 PM.