Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Noises from wheel area after akebono install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:25 PM
emooheo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises from wheel area after akebono install

Hi all,

I installed akebono brakes on my 350z this weekend and took it for a drive. Everything seems to work correctly but I am hearing noises. There is a clunking/squeaking sound coming from the front. There is also scraping sound coming from rear rotors (maybe e brake rubbing? or left over heat shield?). I made sure everything is nice and tight. Took off wheel and tried shaking rotors and felt solid.

Here is a video I took (terrible quality but the sound is there, this is when driving in circles with wheel turned).

Anyone have any clues what they think it is?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:47 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Did you use brake grease?
Old 12-01-2015, 08:16 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you bed in the pads? Are the calipers scraping the rims? On my Touring 18"s the clearance is like 2mm thus even a wheel weight would scrape. Are the dust/heat shields in the back touching or have any bend edges left over from trimming? Are the pins and shims installed correctly? Wheels/rims torqued down properly?

Sorry just throwing out random guesses My rears squeaked until I got one good track day with them, that seemed to really bed them in fully. However that was more of a pad/rotor mating type problem, which you might have too. I didn't use any grease because the back of pads already had a soft coating on them. Maybe the pads and shims could use some grease
Old 12-01-2015, 08:28 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
Did you bed in the pads? Are the calipers scraping the rims? On my Touring 18"s the clearance is like 2mm thus even a wheel weight would scrape. Are the dust/heat shields in the back touching or have any bend edges left over from trimming? Are the pins and shims installed correctly? Wheels/rims torqued down properly?

Sorry just throwing out random guesses My rears squeaked until I got one good track day with them, that seemed to really bed them in fully. However that was more of a pad/rotor mating type problem, which you might have too. I didn't use any grease because the back of pads already had a soft coating on them. Maybe the pads and shims could use some grease

My cousin stock brakes would squeal like a pig backing out of driveways. A little grease solved the problem.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:05 PM
calibredz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are your rotors shot? need them to be re-surfaced/ just new ones installed?properly bedding the brakes, then braking them in really helps with feel, and noise after some time.