Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

KW V3 coilover question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default KW V3 coilover question

I have been looking at a set of the KW V3 coilovers. Just wondering what else is out there in your opinions at around the $2500 price point.

I have also been looking at the Bilstien B16 PSS10 but not found much info about it.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 01-25-2016, 06:02 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

The OGs seem to love Springs and struts over coils
Old 01-25-2016, 06:06 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

what are your plans for the car? daily, track toy, etc?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:11 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by travlee
what are your plans for the car? daily, track toy, etc?
Mostly track duty but it could see some Sunday drives through the country. I daily 3/4 ton trucks and suvs the cars are all toys.

Last edited by chatcher; 01-25-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:14 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
The OGs seem to love Springs and struts over coils
I don't think I can accept a certain amount of drop I need the flexibility of setting height as I need to make sure I can get it on my lift.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:41 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by chatcher
I don't think I can accept a certain amount of drop I need the flexibility of setting height as I need to make sure I can get it on my lift.
And therein lay the conundrum of the day:

The ability to set ride height that's dependent upon the ability to get it on the lift to adjust the ride height.

Which came first, the spring perch or the.....? Heh heh.... sorry.

But ya, if you're looking into the KWV3s, there aren't that many units that are going to do what you want.... independent jounce and rebound calibration. The Bilstein PSS-10 do (I believe) as do the BCR ERs but sorry, can't speak to them with any hands on. I'm one of them OG-types that HR ref'd in his post above. Laff....

Only coilovers I've had any experience with were on my fenderless car.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Stance Pro Comp 2 is another in your price range.

So lowering springs are to low for your need or not low enough
Old 01-25-2016, 06:55 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by MicVelo
And therein lay the conundrum of the day:

The ability to set ride height that's dependent upon the ability to get it on the lift to adjust the ride height.

Which came first, the spring perch or the.....? Heh heh.... sorry.

But ya, if you're looking into the KWV3s, there aren't that many units that are going to do what you want.... independent jounce and rebound calibration. The Bilstein PSS-10 do (I believe) as do the BCR ERs but sorry, can't speak to them with any hands on. I'm one of them OG-types that HR ref'd in his post above. Laff....

Only coilovers I've had any experience with were on my fenderless car.
Actually it will be more like making sure its up high enough to get back off the lift

I am reading some google VS articles and most seem to think the bilsteins are easier to adjust on the car. Making trying diff settings at the track alittle easier?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Stance Pro Comp 2 is another in your price range.

So lowering springs are to low for your need or not low enough
My fear is they may be too low. I don't want to give up my ability to do this with the car,

Name:  IMG_0164_zps45f0befc.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  107.3 KB

Last edited by chatcher; 01-25-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:54 PM
chatcher

I went with the PSS-10's couldn't find as much bad publicity as I did with KW
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the PSS-10's couldn't find as much bad publicity as I did with KW
I was close to ordering these recently, but found some useful info here on the forum from a couple of suspension gurus. Basically the Bilstein PSS10 is great for the street, but not a good track option. That's just what I read in a couple of threads today. It was enough to steer me clear and I'll probably go with the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers. Hopefully you have good luck with your PSS10s.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:01 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the pss10's and they're great so far. I also considered the kw3's while shopping but unlike you i wanted a low drop with a reputable brand that offer lifetime warranty and have plenty of r&d etc. My car won't make it up on the lift unless it's an inground lift. During my research i found that the kw's trump bilstein... this is coming from BMW owners btw.

Anyhow, i love my coils.... i chose bilstein is bc (mentioned above) they're more of a street coil and kw's are track dedicated. Plus they lower the car a little more than the kw's at 1.7 all around instead of 1.5 inches.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
I was close to ordering these recently, but found some useful info here on the forum from a couple of suspension gurus. Basically the Bilstein PSS10 is great for the street, but not a good track option. That's just what I read in a couple of threads today. It was enough to steer me clear and I'll probably go with the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers. Hopefully you have good luck with your PSS10s.
Originally Posted by stogey420time
I have the pss10's and they're great so far. I also considered the kw3's while shopping but unlike you i wanted a low drop with a reputable brand that offer lifetime warranty and have plenty of r&d etc. My car won't make it up on the lift unless it's an inground lift. During my research i found that the kw's trump bilstein... this is coming from BMW owners btw.

Anyhow, i love my coils.... i chose bilstein is bc (mentioned above) they're more of a street coil and kw's are track dedicated. Plus they lower the car a little more than the kw's at 1.7 all around instead of 1.5 inches.
I read the KW's are more track focus but I also read tons of failures, broken this, noisy that. I couldn't find any bad reviews on the PSS10's. I'm sure they will be good enough for a newbie track guy (me) In the future I can try something different if the Bilsteins become a limiting factor.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:55 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by stogey420time

I read the KW's are more track focus but I also read tons of failures, broken this, noisy that. I couldn't find any bad reviews on the PSS10's. I'm sure they will be good enough for a newbie track guy (me) In the future I can try something different if the Bilsteins become a limiting factor.
You guys definitely got some good street coilovers with the Bilsteins. I don't drive the car much on the street so I want something that's more track oriented. I'll probably end up with KW, but still researching. If it were just a street car I'd have Bilstein on for sure.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to rebuild my V3 twice already and gave up on the rebuild frequency, so I went to Ohlin DFV.

the independent rebound / compression adjustment is nice (but after a month, the adjustment gets old) Height is adjusted through preload on KWv3 while Ohlin is through the shock body.

DFV are 2.7k through Ohlin direct sales (paypal)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:22 PM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KW is lifetime warranty though ... Ohlin is only 2 years, but rebuildable in the USA.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:51 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

That's good info, thanks. I forgot about the KW height adjustment messing with preload.

I may just have to spend the money on the Ohlins.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

Congrats on the purchase; I'll be interested to hear your opinions of the Bilsteins on the track.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
That's good info, thanks. I forgot about the KW height adjustment messing with preload.

I may just have to spend the money on the Ohlins.
All ride height adjustments should be done with preload . The shock body should only be used to set the travel
Old 02-11-2016, 04:55 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
All ride height adjustments should be done with preload . The shock body should only be used to set the travel
Ahh yes, that's right. I wasn't thinking. I guess the KW would be a viable choice then.

Quick Reply: KW V3 coilover question