Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rear polyurethane bushings - good idea or bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:19 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Rear polyurethane bushings - good idea or bad ?

Another day, another (planky) question

So, having done quite a few bits to my car so far, which is used largely for spirited driving and the occasional track day I just wanted to get your take on this...

I was considering doing the rear bushings now as it's all stock, 108k rubber back there (front already done - see below).

However a friend mentioned that it was a bad idea to replace them, specifically the rear knuckle bushings with polyurethane due to the movement required which is severely restricted with this material.
Of course the best solution is SPL, not a problem except for the cost of this for me at the moment.

I just wanted to check with you guys if this is something you've experienced, I'm guessing it's largely stiction that is the problem here.

Work done:
Whiteline bushings on the diff, torque solutions transmission mount, prothane front kit - except for the compression rod which is the adjustable Superpro (but updating this one to SPL), steering rack, adjustable front camber arms (waiting for rears to arrive), bilstein b6 suspension, tein s springs.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:18 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

I would only use monoball or OEM on the rear knuckle, the OEM are pretty stiff back there.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I am going to be replacing all of my rear bushings with poly. Have already done my diff last summer. Have subrame and rear control arm bushings waiting for my replacement subframe brace to come in. All the research that I have done, spl or the sort can get noisey over time, also can be a little abrasive for street use. Poly seemed to be the happy median inbetween oem and monoball. Now which ones you go with is up to you. Alot of people will say use whiteline, but you need a press to install those. I went with ES for the control arms and Prothane for the subframe.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Mine is all mono ball, moves real free. I would the one I felt the most from the removal of stiction and p,at is the traction arm
Old 02-24-2016, 11:52 PM
RobPhoboS

I've opted to hold work on the rear end (ooer) for the moment.
It sounded like SPL/mono is the only decent upgrade unless some bushings are shot, and in which case OEM or another rubber bushing (Hardrace/Nismo/MR).
I saw that Hardrace also make some mono fittings but as to their quality, I really don't know.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 AM
RobPhoboS

My SPL rear knuckle bushings arrived today
(less than a week from Z1 to the UK)

So far I've only put the transverse link (inner) SPL bushing on the front, man what a HUGE difference from the stiction on the previous poly bushing there. I'm still waiting for the compression rod SPL bushing (hopefully tomorrow), so will get on with it this weekend.