Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Upgrade from OEM Brembo package?

Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by LOLmustangLOL
Mountain driving is the same as track but using your momentum to your advantage in corners. I won't need to brake as long if I'm going uphill. You also have to learn your roads meticulously. Mountain braking 101.

Dragging brakes are for new drivers. I've had this car since I was 21, I'm 29 now, so take that into account for driving ability.
I remember those days of thinking I knew what I was doing, then I started tracking my car, boy I was wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by terrasmak:
JMII (03-23-2016), RobPhoboS (03-21-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:28 PM
LOLmustangLOL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I remember those days of thinking I knew what I was doing, then I started tracking my car, boy I was wrong.
I have a tendency to yell at people dragging their brakes in my car. "What the hell are you doing!? YOU'RE WASTING PRECIOUS BRAKING MATERIAL!" or "THERE'S NO NEED TO BRAKE HERE! A 25MPH TURN DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE GONNA FLIP OVER AT 30!"
Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There are options out there. I don't know what your fab skills are or if that's what you're looking for, but here's what I did: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...get-bbk-4.html

I'd be happy to share solidworks files if you have a place that can cut the brackets. I do need to update the rears to reflect changes made during test fitting.

Don't touch the master cylinder, it's already one of the biggest MC's out there (1-1/16") and any upgrade you go with shouldn't be changing the caliper piston area much if at all (part of why the SRT-8 calipers are a BAD choice, IMO). My calipers are actually slightly less area than stock, which improves brake pedal feel. It's a very common misconception that changing to "bigger" brakes means needing a larger master cylinder.

Another option would be to optimize your current brakes, like others are saying.

I've never been able to ascertain whether the stock brembo rotors were curved or straight vane. I'm reasonably certain they're straight. 94+ Supra TT rotors are close enough in dimension to 350Z brembo rotors to bolt on with minor modification, and are one of the few OEM applications that use curved cooling vanes to help pump air through the rotor as it spins. They're also not particularly expensive. The only change you'd need to make is boring the center hole out from 62mm to 68mm.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:57 PM
LOLmustangLOL

Originally Posted by kilogram
There are options out there. I don't know what your fab skills are or if that's what you're looking for, but here's what I did: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...get-bbk-4.html

I'd be happy to share solidworks files if you have a place that can cut the brackets. I do need to update the rears to reflect changes made during test fitting.

Don't touch the master cylinder, it's already one of the biggest MC's out there (1-1/16") and any upgrade you go with shouldn't be changing the caliper piston area much if at all (part of why the SRT-8 calipers are a BAD choice, IMO). My calipers are actually slightly less area than stock, which improves brake pedal feel. It's a very common misconception that changing to "bigger" brakes means needing a larger master cylinder.

Another option would be to optimize your current brakes, like others are saying.

I've never been able to ascertain whether the stock brembo rotors were curved or straight vane. I'm reasonably certain they're straight. 94+ Supra TT rotors are close enough in dimension to 350Z brembo rotors to bolt on with minor modification, and are one of the few OEM applications that use curved cooling vanes to help pump air through the rotor as it spins. They're also not particularly expensive. The only change you'd need to make is boring the center hole out from 62mm to 68mm.
The only upgrade I can do for my OEM is pretty much getting a new MC and maybe some Hawk HP+ pads.

Has anyone done EvoX, Genesis or STI Brembo swaps?
Old 03-25-2016, 02:28 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

The only upgrade I can do for my OEM is pretty much getting a new MC and maybe some Hawk HP+ pads.

S'far as I know, the Mitsu and Subie Brembos are the same basic monoblock unit as the Z Brembos so that won't really buy you anything. (I could be wrong but the brake pads I've purchased for Z Brembos carry the same PNs as for those other cars.)

As I mentioned in another thread within the last day or two, the Akebono set up is on par with the Brembo (IMO, with a nudge to the Akes for modulation and feel) but hardly worth putting those on for only incremental power). If you don't want to ante up for the HUGE Brembo GTs or APRs then look at the StopTech kits with the 355x32s and ST40 calipers. Or.... go ST-60 for more pistones.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:13 PM
LOLmustangLOL

Originally Posted by MicVelo
S'far as I know, the Mitsu and Subie Brembos are the same basic monoblock unit as the Z Brembos so that won't really buy you anything. (I could be wrong but the brake pads I've purchased for Z Brembos carry the same PNs as for those other cars.)

As I mentioned in another thread within the last day or two, the Akebono set up is on par with the Brembo (IMO, with a nudge to the Akes for modulation and feel) but hardly worth putting those on for only incremental power). If you don't want to ante up for the HUGE Brembo GTs or APRs then look at the StopTech kits with the 355x32s and ST40 calipers. Or.... go ST-60 for more pistones.
What size are Brembo GT and are they pretty much a direct fitment without shaving down the knuckle? I don't mind paying a little extra for some good breaks.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

What size are Brembo GT and are they pretty much a direct fitment without shaving down the knuckle? I don't mind paying a little extra for some good breaks.
Well, I don't know for sure but I doubt any modification is necessary if you buy the Z33 specific kit which includes the necessary mounting brackets. Some of the BBKs come with replacement knuckles where needed (the Stillen designed APR/Brembo IIRC...) - but s'far as I know, the Z33 application does not require it.

Sizing? As in piston sizes, number of? Rotor dimensions? Too many variables, recommend checking with the vendors who sell them, a few of which are sponsors of this site... CZP, Z1, THM; they can answer your questions more definitively.

Suffice that you can buy almost any configuration you want from "basic" four-piston/332 Brembos to the "way-too-much-for-the-street-but-dayam-they-work" APR/Brembo 6-piston forged calipers with 368s. Only limiting factors are your checkbook and wheel clearance.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:20 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
S'far as I know, the Mitsu and Subie Brembos are the same basic monoblock unit as the Z Brembos so that won't really buy you anything.
You're right that they use the same pads and basic caliper frame, but the Z/STi/evo are not monoblock calipers, they're two piece calipers. The Porsche brembos I used are monoblock, as the caliper body is a single piece. Doesn't necessarily mean they're better or anything, just pointing out the difference

Only reason to replace the MC is if it's leaking. It's already huge, there is no upgrade. Going bigger will just make the pedal feel stiffer. You can accomplish the same thing by slightly reducing caliper piston area (which is what I've done with the Porsche Brembos I used).

Last edited by kilogram; 03-30-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:56 AM
LOLmustangLOL

Originally Posted by kilogram
You're right that they use the same pads and basic caliper frame, but the Z/STi/evo are not monoblock calipers, they're two piece calipers. The Porsche brembos I used are monoblock, as the caliper body is a single piece. Doesn't necessarily mean they're better or anything, just pointing out the difference

Only reason to replace the MC is if it's leaking. It's already huge, there is no upgrade. Going bigger will just make the pedal feel stiffer. You can accomplish the same thing by slightly reducing caliper piston area (which is what I've done with the Porsche Brembos I used).
Yeah but to do that you'd need to grind the knuckle and I'm not about that life.