Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Need knowledge on brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:53 PM
sooniie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need knowledge on brakes...

So I'm not completely familiar with brakes and what parts you need, how they work, big brakes vs "regular" brakes? I have a 2007 nismo and idk why recent owner took off the stock brembo brakes. The car doesn't look right without it. So I'm thinking, is it completely necessary, or is it an accessory. Why do I want them? Why do I not want them? What else can I get, should I get? Recommendations. And what I need to swap out, and how much they usually cost you. And are the stock brembos big brakes?Anything I need to know, tell me, brakes for dummies 101. Thanks for the help, in advance.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Stock brembo is not a BBC , but works for most race applications. Do you really need them, well it really depends on how you drive and it you plan to track the car.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by sooniie
So I'm not completely familiar with brakes and what parts you need, how they work, big brakes vs "regular" brakes? I have a 2007 nismo and idk why recent owner took off the stock brembo brakes. The car doesn't look right without it. So I'm thinking, is it completely necessary, or is it an accessory. Why do I want them? Why do I not want them? What else can I get, should I get? Recommendations. And what I need to swap out, and how much they usually cost you. And are the stock brembos big brakes?Anything I need to know, tell me, brakes for dummies 101. Thanks for the help, in advance.
Very quick few cents....

Brembo brakes are the top of the line as far as far as factory equipped Z33 brakes are concerned. They stop better than standard brakes and hold up to the heat generated in track/HPDE/heavy mountain running.

Does that mean you should get some? Wellllll, IMO, a Nismo without 'em is not a full Nismo. But..... there are options that don't cost that much and sometimes less.

Y'see, I trip on people asking for the prices they do for Brembo calipers. And even moreso, gotta smirk a bit when they get sold for those prices. Why? Because a 1,000 dollar set of Brembo calipers doesn't take into account all the other accompanying things that are needed to convert. Brake lines x 6, rotors x 4, pads x 8, etc. By the time you're all said and done, you still have a used Brembo setup for the same cost or more than a brand new Akebono 370Z/G37S conversion! (Available at the Nissan parts counter sort of but moreso from Concept Z or Z1).

And having owned both Brembo Z33 stock and Akebono/Nismo stock, I'll take the Akebonos any day. NOT saying the Brembos are bad.... I just think the Akes are better from a feel and modulation standpoint. Love my Brembos.... loved my Akebonos more. (And will love 'em again soon.)

So in the end, if your brakes work for your purposes, just leave 'em alone. But if you seek the originality and performance of the Brembo or Akebonos, get ready to shell out at least a grand and a half for a good set up.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-24-2016 at 08:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MicVelo:
dkmura (03-25-2016), jv350z (03-25-2016), VO... (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 AM
sooniie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Very quick few cents....

Brembo brakes are the top of the line as far as far as factory equipped Z33 brakes are concerned. They stop better than standard brakes and hold up to the heat generated in track/HPDE/heavy mountain running.

Does that mean you should get some? Wellllll, IMO, a Nismo without 'em is not a full Nismo. But..... there are options that don't cost that much and sometimes less.

Y'see, I trip on people asking for the prices they do for Brembo calipers. And even moreso, gotta smirk a bit when they get sold for those prices. Why? Because a 1,000 dollar set of Brembo calipers doesn't take into account all the other accompanying things that are needed to convert. Brake lines x 6, rotors x 4, pads x 8, etc. By the time you're all said and done, you still have a used Brembo setup for the same cost or more than a brand new Akebono 370Z/G37S conversion! (Available at the Nissan parts counter sort of but moreso from Concept Z or Z1).

And having owned both Brembo Z33 stock and Akebono/Nismo stock, I'll take the Akebonos any day. NOT saying the Brembos are bad.... I just think the Akes are better from a feel and modulation standpoint. Love my Brembos.... loved my Akebonos more. (And will love 'em again soon.)

So in the end, if your brakes work for your purposes, just leave 'em alone. But if you seek the originality and performance of the Brembo or Akebonos, get ready to shell out at least a grand and a half for a good set up.
okay so here's the deal, I'm talking to some guy about his brembos which are used, he mentioned the rotors have been resurfaced but it looks like **** from sitting. Do I still want the rotors? Or just get a lower price for calipers and get new rotors? He's asking 800 for calipers and rotors. I can also provide pics of its condition if needed.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:10 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Very good post MicVelo..
Old 03-25-2016, 06:14 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

okay so here's the deal, I'm talking to some guy about his brembos which are used, he mentioned the rotors have been resurfaced but it looks like **** from sitting. Do I still want the rotors? Or just get a lower price for calipers and get new rotors? He's asking 800 for calipers and rotors. I can also provide pics of its condition if needed.
Understand that rotors are consumable products. They are also very heavy and absorb a lot of the heat generated by braking. If you can get a better deal by just buying the calipers, you're going to save not only on the deal, but also the shipping. Buying a set of high-quality rotors (try Centric high-carbon) locally (be sure to clean the surfaces on both sides with brake clean before mounting them) is the way to go!
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 06:46 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Understand that rotors are consumable products. They are also very heavy and absorb a lot of the heat generated by braking. If you can get a better deal by just buying the calipers, you're going to save not only on the deal, but also the shipping. Buying a set of high-quality rotors (try Centric high-carbon) locally (be sure to clean the surfaces on both sides with brake clean before mounting them) is the way to go!
Totally agree! ^^^

You could mic out the seller's rotors to see if you can turn them down.

Fresh rotor measurements (Brembo):

F: 30mm (28mm min. thickness)
R: 22mm (20mm min. thickness)

This said, I'd opt for new ones just to err on the side of safety.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MicVelo
By the time you're all said and done, you still have a usedBrembo setup for the same cost or more than a brand new Akebono 370Z/G37S conversion!
+1 this is why I went the Akebono route. Plus the Akebonos have more surface area then the Brembos. I track my car so fade resistance was more important then looks.

However if someone sold Brembo stickers and orange paint for the Akebono calipers then I swear more people would convert.

As for the OP - getting the Brembos make sense to return the car to factory specs. For others the Akebonos route is better IMHO.

+1 to the rotor advice as well. Other the light weight 2 piece setups there is almost no difference between a brand name rotor and a Centric piece. In fact in some cases (I believe StopTech) they are in fact the same chunk of metal just in a different box.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JMII

+1 to the rotor advice as well. Other the light weight 2 piece setups there is almost no difference between a brand name rotor and a Centric piece. In fact in some cases (I believe StopTech) they are in fact the same chunk of metal just in a different box.
StopTech IS a Centric brand.

However, the StopTech performance rotors are NOT necessarily the same as Centric blanks. Centric - with few exceptions like the high carbon units - are more OEM grade whereas they market the StopTech as the premium, performance brand. Different formulations on brake pads/rotors and BBKs (well known ST-40, ST-60 calipers) offered as well.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

What brakes are on your car now? Are you sure you got a nismo? I wouldn't think a nismo owner would downgrade their brakes... Unless they are like Mic and have multiple 350z's and you rob your nismo for your 03's benefit...

And even he never thought about doing such a horrible act till I just put the thought in his head.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-25-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Have him crack the 2 bleeder bolts for you before he ships them, you could be buying a big pain in your ***.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 AM
MyZ32TT

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I checked his vin and he does have a nismo. Most likely the last owner needed cash and started trading plus cash his stuff off his nismo for non-nismo stock parts.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
What brakes are on your car now? Are you sure you got a nismo? I wouldn't think a nismo owner would downgrade their brakes... Unless they are like Mic and have multiple 350z's and you rob your nismo for your 03's benefit...

And even he never thought about doing such a horrible act till I just put the thought in his head.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Hmmmmmmm.... guess I could order a set of Brembo GTs for the Niz.

And I ACTUALLY DID think of that before....

Then the bourbon wore off and I fell asleep.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Stock brembo is not a BBC
Oh Terra...
Old 03-25-2016, 01:35 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Oh Terra...
Oh, lawdy, this thread is headed South. Watch out you Texas guys, it's headed your way on downwards towards Meh-he-ko.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:00 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Pictures of your Nismo OP?

Edit: Never mind, I found your other post https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/...l#post10740069

I hope you bought that car for dirt cheap because it really seems like the "upgrades" were paid for by insurance money.

Do you still have OEM dust shields on your brakes? If so, are they considerably larger than the rotors you have on there now?

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 03-25-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

This isn't the first "stripped" Nosmo spoken about on this forum. There was one missing its brakes, wheels, suspension, and even head and taillight a a while back. Not to mention a few missing their number plates.

I've got a bunch of OEM Nismo parts on my '08 base, but they came from a few wrecked cars.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Oh Terra...
Do you think a stock Brembo kit is equal to a BBC. I'll take my brakes over OE Brembo any day of the week.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:10 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I love my Akebono after I finally got them bleed
Old 03-26-2016, 02:48 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Do you think a stock Brembo kit is equal to a BBC. I'll take my brakes over OE Brembo any day of the week.

I know what a BBK is...big brake kit.

What is a BBC?

Quick Reply: Need knowledge on brakes...