Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Strut/Spring coilover-style combo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 PM
absurdparadox

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strut/Spring coilover-style combo?

Hey guys, I was hoping to find some strut/spring combos that are put together like coilovers, but without full coilover features? It might sound dumb to some, but I don't really need the adjustable ride height or dampening for now -- would like to save on cost while also switching to an adjustable toe arm, with later plans to upgrade to full coilovers in a few years after I throw some money at other things first.

However, haven't been able to find basically anything like that. I know I've seen some for other platforms, so figured my google-fu is failing.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:48 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Tein basis... Get some...
Old 09-16-2016, 03:11 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Serious question.

Why non-coilover-coilover style instead of a dead on, tried and true static setup?

I mean, for what it's worth, front OEM setup is a strut/spring without any adjustability and the rear is the Z's traditional spring/independent shock... what do you hope to gain with coilovers if height and shock valve variability isn't a concern??

On a budget, you can get yourself a righteous setup in Tokico Blues paired with a nice set of springs, e.g., Eibach, Tein, Hotchkis, etc.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:38 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Serious question.

Why non-coilover-coilover style instead of a dead on, tried and true static setup?

I mean, for what it's worth, front OEM setup is a strut/spring without any adjustability and the rear is the Z's traditional spring/independent shock... what do you hope to gain with coilovers if height and shock valve variability isn't a concern??

On a budget, you can get yourself a righteous setup in Tokico Blues paired with a nice set of springs, e.g., Eibach, Tein, Hotchkis, etc.
Not OP, but lowering spring rates are generally awful for the Z33. The only only ones worth a damn are from Swift Springs, but the only dampers remotely close enough to handle the extra front spring are the KONI Yellows.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by T_K
Not OP, but lowering spring rates are generally awful for the Z33. The only only ones worth a damn are from Swift Springs, but the only dampers remotely close enough to handle the extra front spring are the KONI Yellows.
And that's all well and good if we knew what the OP was actually after (not stated). Just know he wants a coilover that's not really a coilover.

And if he's not after adjustability nor ride height adjustment and wants to stay on a budget, well, I'm almost assuming that he doesn't need anything else a true C/O offers hence my suggestion of a static setup.

I would take issue with the commentary about the spring rates of traditional springs for street use though. I run coilovers on two other cars (because they came that way) and find absolutely NOTHING redeeming enough about them on the street to change my mind about how useless coilovers are for that usage. One, a very expensive set, one in the lower end of the spectrum.

Track, most certainly; where one will be adjusting height, jounce, rebound for track conditions and type.

But my Eibach/Koni Yellow setup works extremely well for my slightly more than a commuter usage. (And before that the Bilstein B6s that came with the ProKit setup.) So my recommendation meets what anyone "on a budget" would consider sane.... a well known, tested, tried and true solution versus the same $$ for coilovers that at that price is considered the "cheap sh*t".

Maybe I'm just not that demanding.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:39 PM
absurdparadox

Oh, it's not that big of a deal, I was just curious if some where out there. I plan on getting some decent coil overs in the future, but just wanted to go cheap for now, since other mods are in line before it, and figured if I *could* get a coil-over-style combo, then I would, since I think it would be nice to switch to toe adjustment bars for a bit of weight savings and would want to when I get real coilovers in the future.

As to the first poster, I thought the Tein Basis still used the factory spring bucket in the rear, and were not spring-over-shock back there, or am I wrong?

Last edited by absurdparadox; 09-18-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:00 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by absurdparadox

As to the first poster, I thought the Tein Basis still used the factory spring bucket in the rear, and were not spring-over-shock back there, or am I wrong?
O no your correct, I didn't understand that you were looking to rid your life of the spring buckets.

They are a super deal for what you get IMHO

Good luck
Old 09-19-2016, 11:27 AM
DesertSleeper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by absurdparadox
Oh, it's not that big of a deal, I was just curious if some where out there. I plan on getting some decent coil overs in the future, but just wanted to go cheap for now, since other mods are in line before it, and figured if I *could* get a coil-over-style combo, then I would, since I think it would be nice to switch to toe adjustment bars for a bit of weight savings and would want to when I get real coilovers in the future.

I respect your reasoning behind this, but there isn't anything mass produced out there like what you describe. There just isn't a market for it. I'm sure you can have it custom made, but that would defeat your initial "cheap for now" purpose. I highly doubt the weight savings you will gain from ditching the spring bucket to a toe adj arm will be enough to make any type of difference on performance, but I could be wrong If you want a cheap lowering option for now, like Mic said above, grab yourself some tokico hp shocks and the lowering spring of your choice.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 PM
absurdparadox

Cool, good to know. I asked because I've seen similar products for other platforms and just thought I would see! Thanks!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My personal opinion is if you are going to "upgrade" to full coilovers in the future, just go straight to the setup you want.
Anything you spend your money on between now and the final product is going to be wasted money.

Might take you longer to save up, but no point wasting more money then you should to get to where you want to go.