Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

confirm UCA fitment

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 03:28 AM
northern piper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confirm UCA fitment

Hi all;

I'm currently working on a 2005 350z. It was purchased 2nd hand by a friend; previous owner had a mild drop done to it. The previous UCA's ball joints were completely shot and needed replacement. (new owner is using this 350z as a summertime, relaxing drive not track style driving at all). I've bought and installed the OEM UCA (photo below) and am of the opinion that where the new ball joint attaches the front axle looks ok. My only question is, the ball joint and boot seem very deep into the mount on the axle. Not knowing if when the previous owner did the drop what was replaced, I'm somewhat concerned to know if the axle portion is aftermarket or OEM. No numbers on it and it looks like all other casted OEM parts. Final thing, the replaced UCA ball joint has a threaded stem on it that's much larger than the new OEM style. I'm thinking that this is due to the beefier design but ultimately just want someone with experience with these 2 parts to comment. I've torqued to spec etc . Does the bottom picture look correct?

Thanks a ton!
Old 11-16-2016, 07:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

A think I see the cone missing
Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 AM
northern piper

Thanks for your post. From the picture in the service manual below, the OEM UCA is a complete unit. This is the type of UCA I installed and must have the cone within the ball joint correct? There's no way, in my opinion, that a cone would slip over the rubber boot. The service manual diagram is correct isn't it?
Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

https://blog.stillen.com/2009/02/g35...-installation/

Posting pics from my phone sucks. It's shown here and it can be removed
Old 11-17-2016, 12:29 PM
northern piper

Thanks for your post. I totally agree that the ball joint in your photo does have a removable cone. The old aftermarket arm I replaced did as well but the new owner (who I did the work for) just wanted OEM UCAs. I bought these ones.
https://conceptzperformance.com/niss...z33_p_8041.php

and as you can see, the ball joint and bushing are all one. There is not way that a metal cone could go over it. Having installed the UCA in the picture into the upper axle component and torquing, then test driving I can say it's solid.. so I'm quite certain it's ok..

Thanks for your info!
Old 11-17-2016, 02:29 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

i think i popped mine off the factory ones and placed them on the spa's. so i think there shook be one, it would go below the boot

Last edited by travlee; 11-17-2016 at 02:33 PM.