Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Black rotors??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:51 PM
the rook

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
If you are going to do track days you'll be bleeding the brakes often so having the right tool helps. I've done a quick top off when switching pads by using the standard pump-the-pedal method but the pressure bleeder is so easy. Just make sure you have enough fluid so it doesn't run dry. On the street the difference between various pads isn't very noticeable (other then dust or noise) but on the track it will make a major difference, especially after multiple sessions.

Just be sure to check pad thickness and fluid level before each track day. Once the pads are 1/2 worn they are pretty much done on the track, but would be OK for street use down to 1/4 thickness. Now if at any time on track the brakes feel soft, funny or just "odd" head back to the garage. The problem with brakes is they tend to work perfectly fine... until they don't work at all. I blew a rear seal on the stock calipers once on track thankfully after pumping like mad the other 3 brakes held enough that I made the turn and was able to limp back in.
Awesome. Thanks. I'm probably only going to track a handful of times per season..... or so I say. Lol
But I'll most likely do all my maintenance in the week leading up to the events. I'm no race pro. Just a novice. But I do take care of my car and will value it's safety and my own on the track.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by the rook
I'm probably only going to track a handful of times per season..... or so I say.
Track time should come with a warning as its that addictive I went from doing it occasionally to being an instructor.

My EBC Blues only last about 3 events, but I also daily on them. My brother gets about 6 events out of Raybestos ST43 on a modified Golf R (APR Stage 2) but he doesn't daily the R.

BTW don't set your parking / ebrake after a session. Use wheel chocks to keep the car from rolling while its cooling off between sessions.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:30 PM
the rook

Originally Posted by JMII
Track time should come with a warning as its that addictive I went from doing it occasionally to being an instructor.

My EBC Blues only last about 3 events, but I also daily on them. My brother gets about 6 events out of Raybestos ST43 on a modified Golf R (APR Stage 2) but he doesn't daily the R.

BTW don't set your parking / ebrake after a session. Use wheel chocks to keep the car from rolling while its cooling off between sessions.
That's really good to know. I would not have thought about it.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:49 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Since this has become somewhat a track day advisory, I should add a word of caution on using race pads after the track day. On one occasion, I left Hawk Blues on after a race and drove home (two states) without changing them. Just a bit of friction from those pads was enough to literally wear down those fresh rotors to their wear limits in a weekend. Fortunately, this was on a '95 200SX Se-R and the rotors were not nearly as expensive as a Z. Even so, I learned my lesson, change those pads out and reburnish the rotors for the drive home.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM
the rook

Originally Posted by dkmura
Since this has become somewhat a track day advisory, I should add a word of caution on using race pads after the track day. On one occasion, I left Hawk Blues on after a race and drove home (two states) without changing them. Just a bit of friction from those pads was enough to literally wear down those fresh rotors to their wear limits in a weekend. Fortunately, this was on a '95 200SX Se-R and the rotors were not nearly as expensive as a Z. Even so, I learned my lesson, change those pads out and reburnish the rotors for the drive home.
Duly noted. I will be running a street-able pad from hawk this trip. I'm bone stock motor wise, so I'd like to think I can run good rotors and high temp fluid for a few track sessions. If I struggle then I'll upgrade pads this summer.

And I'm not sure how it evolved from black rotors to track tips but I ain't complaining. Lol. I enjoy absorbing the knowledge of more experienced Z drivers.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:07 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by the rook
I'm bone stock motor wise, so I'd like to think I can run good rotors and high temp fluid for a few track sessions. If I struggle then I'll upgrade pads this summer.
I managed on the stock system with just a fluid change for my first few events, so you should be fine. Just check the wear rate on the pads to ensure there is enough meat on them before the next event day.

The problem with newbies on the track is they ride their brakes for too long which overheats them. Braking on the track is WAY different then on the road. The idea is to shorten your time on the pedal but mash it HARD. Notice I didn't say "fast" (IE: don't stab them) as that can cause lock up (ABS). You need a progressive pressure that builds. Its simple in concept but challenging to learn. Once you get the feel for it changing pads will make more sense. At first you will honestly not have the skills to really take advantage of better pads.