Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info
View Poll Results: Should I buy the car now or wait? (see attached post)
Buy it now, pay less, dealer is irrelevant
90.00%
Buy it later, pay more, original dealer always loves you
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Dilemma: Relationship with Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
gocart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma: Relationship with Dealer

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new 07 Enthusiast Coupe. I am in a bit of a dilemma. I had begun discussions with a dealer in my current city (State College, PA), and he has managed to locate a vehicle with almost exactly the configuration I want. Also, because of the ongoing Nissan sales event, I am expecting to get a very good price. Negotiations are still going on, but I'm guessing around $500 below invoice is not an unreasonable estimate.

The problem is that I will be moving to the Marlborough, MA area in the beginning of April. Obviously, common sense would dictate that I wait it out for a week and buy the car from a dealer there. However, I will lose the $1000-odd sales-event advantage if I wait. What I do gain, obviously, is a (hopefully) healthy relationship with the dealer. But from what I have gathered from reading the local subforums, it seems interactions with most dealerships (stealerships?) in the Marlborough area end up being a hit-or-miss at best, and disasters at worst.

Also, I am not sure how long it will take a dealer over there to get me the exact car I am looking for, while my dream vehicle is ready here in State College. I am sure you folks will excuse my impatience and excitement over buying a brand-spanking new 07 Magnetic Black.

So, my question is: should I buy the car now from my dealer in State College for a potential $1000 (or more) saving, but at the risk of having a completely unpredictable future relationship with a stealership in MA, or should I play it safe and delay the purchase even though I might end up paying $1K more?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

save the money now! you can always shop service later down the road, but once you buy the car you done shopping. go get that thing
Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy it. You can establish a relationship with service dept after you move.

I bought my Z from dealer 300 miles from where I live. It is serviced by Nissan dealer 3 miles from my house. Service is fine.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should buy it now before your dream car gets sold to someone else.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
MPA

I think you should get it now - there's no guarantee youre relationship with a dealer where you are moving will be good just because you bought a car from them.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:28 AM
zedated

*If possible*, I like to get service from the same dealer where I bought the car, but there is no guarantee that a dealer will provide good service. From the range of comments on this forum, service varies [sometimes a lot] from dealer to dealer. There are good ones, and there are bad ones.

I say get the car now. After you move, find a new dealership for service. Get simple things, like oil changes, done there and evaluate the work. If the little things are done well, probably the big things are also. Look for professional behavior and be nice to the service writer. Get a business card, and call the service writer directly for future service needs. Make appointments whenever possible. Treat the service writer with respect, and you should get respect back. Also, when you take your car in for service, clean it first. Most people respect a clean car more than a dirty one. If you don't care how your car looks, probably they won't either.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:42 AM
bofa

Servicing from the dealer which you purchased means squat to them and can be good or bad.

I bought my car from one dealership, got a great price but the service is absolutely awful (actually the second car I bought from them in a year). I switched over to the dealership close to my office and have been very pleased. The guys are great, I'm on a first-name basis with the advisor and director (thx oil consumption) and they are very honest with me.

Buy it now!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
evolved326

The $1000 off is a rebate from Nissan on an 07? Thought it was only for an 06. Do you mean they are giving you a 1000 off msrp?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy where you get the best deal, get it serviced wherever its convenient.

I bought mone from a dealer 3 hours away, in spite of the fact tht there are 5 dealerships within 45 minute of me.

bill
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Go buy it. You can establish a relationship with service dept after you move.

I bought my Z from dealer 300 miles from where I live. It is serviced by Nissan dealer 3 miles from my house. Service is fine.
+1 - I bought my Z from a dealer in Costa Mesa, CA ... I live in the heart of Los Angeles - This is about a 43mile difference

The dealer I'm closest to does my servicing; 3 miles away.

Honestly, get your car, enjoy it, and don't worry about the possibility of finding a better deal somewhere else, or stepping on your current dealer's toes. Believe you me, after it's all said and done YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST DECISION FOR YOU!! Good luck!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:10 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

Service and Sales are completely different departments. **** relationships, sales only cares about your money. I can tell you this from experience.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

If you were buying a $60K+ car, I'd buy from the servicing dealer. With cheaper cars, the dealers don't seem to care about customer service whether you bought it there or not. In your situation, I'd buy from the dealer with the better price.

There is another possible solution. Negotiate an "out the door" price with the other dealer over the phone and tell them you'll give them a $500 deposit with a credit card to hold the car and the negotiated price for a week. When you get out there, do the paperwork and pick up your new car.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 PM
gocart

Thanks everyone for your input.

https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/260234-2007-magnetic-black-enthusiast-6spd-coupe.html