Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Torn between an 03 350z and a couple non-350z cars

Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rule out the BMW, as you are looking at an 8 year old car, and BMW's are not known for their long term reliability. Parts, etc are also ridiculously expensive. You may love the car initially, but once something breaks and you see how much even an independant shop charges for repairs (and don't even bring up the dealer, they will rape you and leave you bleeding).

German luxury cars are nice, but you have to allow to pay for repairs and upkeep if older.

As an example, the front brake rotors and pads on my MB E63 run almost 3 grand.

The ES330 is a very nice car, but you do know it is just a fancy camry, right? This is among the most reliable used cars you can get, but unfortunately when things do break, the parts are also very expensive. You would think they would cost the same as parts for a Camry, but that is not the case for many of the parts that are model specific.

The Z is much cheaper to maintain, but is a completely different kind of car. 2 door coupe vs large sedan.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Whiteazn2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of looking at 03 why don't you go look for 07 or 08z?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
I have a 08 M3 coupe.
E92 FTW! lol

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Rule out the BMW, as you are looking at an 8 year old car, and BMW's are not known for their long term reliability.
I feel that's not entirely true, that claim can be true for any Brand. I feel that most of a cars longevity is based on how well the car is properly maintained and cared for.

BMW makes some of the best engines out there, look on the Ward's Top Engines list. Especially look at the E30, E36, E46 generations...They were great!

Now all that being said, it's sometimes hard to find a GOOD used BMW that was properly maintained and cared for that's in the first year of the E90 gen.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You can ease the harsh ride (if you consider the ride harsh on the Z) by fitting 17" rims which will give you a taller tire side wall and therefore a slightly softer ride. if you had the chance to drive a Z with 20" rims against a Z with 17" or 18" rims you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. The 20" rims have such low profile tires that it is generally a bone jarring ride. I also agree about the tremendous expense you can incur by buying a used Beemer, a mate of mine recently bought a 5 series sport 3liter diesel and is already regretting it a month into ownership as what initially looked like a good purchase is turning out to be a money pit. Good luck with whatever you choose to go for.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:29 AM
AX8

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

That " Sweet Looking Burgundy " as you call it on the 03 Touring is called Brickyard Red.

Go for it !

The color alone shoud make your decision a no brainer.

I don't need to go on and on and tell you how great the 350Z is, just look at it !
Old 02-06-2014, 04:19 AM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a modded 350z. I was in a similar situation back then as well debating between a 350z or bmw 335i.

It really all comes down to personal preference and what you value the most.

350z's = compliments mostly guys though some women yes....

BMW = portrays that you have a lot of money = women like money and assume you will take good care of their children = they chase after you when they see you in the german car.

Interior Wise

BMW = Nordstrom

350z = Walmart

Yes I hate my interior and all the plasticness that is a part of it.

Fun

BMW/Benz- I test drove a mercedes c300 because i was also considering that as a purchase

Honestly it was the most boring car I had ever driven, it was literally meant for someone who is like 50 years old. It was not meant for a young person. more of a mellow relaxing car.

I am not sure if the BMW is like this as well, most likely it probably will be very quiet in nature, when you hit the pedal it will go fast but not abruptly fast in speed, you can always purchase an aftermarket sports exhaust.....

350z-Sports car feel, bucket seats, and when I test drove it and heard the stock exhaust I loved the tone of it. The acceleration is more of an immediate burst of speed when you hit the pedal.

Maintenance

BMW-Guy I worked with a guy who drove a bmw m3. the maintenance alone on his car already exceeded the entire value of my car. he spent maybe 2-3 grand replacing the brakes at the dealership. Rare car means most like you will have to turn to stealership.

350z- Brake rotors = $120 Ceramic Brake pads = $50 bucks Labor $80 bucks = $250 per axle? 500 total for all 4 wheels?
You can probably even get the rotors and brake pads cheaper if you play your cards right on ebay. Parts are easier to obtain from private parties because since lots of people have this car its easy to find replacement parts on craigslist. I messed up my front fender one time and I found one on craigslist for $100 bucks...

At the end, I still strongly believe the 350z is better bang for your buck in comparison to the bmws and benz that you see in the showroom going for 30k+

You can buy a used 350z for 8-9k and use your extra money and go to a custom upholstery shop and have them get you world class interior and still have so much money left over.

I made the decision that I will never sell my 350z. To me its the perfect all around sports car between speed and cost and compliments its great.

Last edited by Justin100; 02-06-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin100
I have a modded 350z. I was in a similar situation back then as well debating between a 350z or bmw 335i.

It really all comes down to personal preference and what you value the most.

350z's = compliments mostly guys though some women yes....

BMW = portrays that you have a lot of money = women like money and assume you will take good care of their children = they chase after you when they see you in the german car.

Interior Wise

BMW = Nordstrom

350z = Walmart

Yes I hate my interior and all the plasticness that is a part of it.

Fun

BMW/Benz- I test drove a mercedes c300 because i was also considering that as a purchase

Honestly it was the most boring car I had ever driven, it was literally meant for someone who is like 50 years old. It was not meant for a young person. more of a mellow relaxing car.

I am not sure if the BMW is like this as well, most likely it probably will be very quiet in nature, when you hit the pedal it will go fast but not abruptly fast in speed, you can always purchase an aftermarket sports exhaust.....

350z-Sports car feel, bucket seats, and when I test drove it and heard the stock exhaust I loved the tone of it. The acceleration is more of an immediate burst of speed when you hit the pedal.

Maintenance

BMW-Guy I worked with a guy who drove a bmw m3. the maintenance alone on his car already exceeded the entire value of my car. he spent maybe 2-3 grand replacing the brakes at the dealership. Rare car means most like you will have to turn to stealership.

350z- Brake rotors = $120 Ceramic Brake pads = $50 bucks Labor $80 bucks = $250 per axle? 500 total for all 4 wheels?
You can probably even get the rotors and brake pads cheaper if you play your cards right on ebay. Parts are easier to obtain from private parties because since lots of people have this car its easy to find replacement parts on craigslist. I messed up my front fender one time and I found one on craigslist for $100 bucks...

At the end, I still strongly believe the 350z is better bang for your buck in comparison to the bmws and benz that you see in the showroom going for 30k+

You can buy a used 350z for 8-9k and use your extra money and go to a custom upholstery shop and have them get you world class interior and still have so much money left over.
Woah easy there champ. I agree the Z33 doesn't have the best interior but calling it a Walmart is crossing the line here. I'll say it's more like a Macy's. I've been in some American cars that make the Z's interior look like it was designed by Aston Martin. OP is looking for more luxury and luxury has a higher price. We all know the Z wasn't designed with luxury in mind so a G35 or the Lexus would be a the better choice. I wouldn't go for that BMW because unless it's an M series model it's a boring old person car. But i guess their good if you want to look flashy. The newer 3 series like from 2008 to now with sport packages are fun though.

Last edited by Jah70; 02-06-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:21 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the biggest thing - do you want a 2-seater or not.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Saberspark
Thanks for the straightforward reply. I don't consider the Z to be "great" gas mileage, but it's good enough for me. I've only owned two cars thus far. My 93 Cadillac which by the time I got rid of it was down to 8mpg (almost entirely city. Highway was like, 12. Was better when I first got it. Had numerous issues). My current Blazer averages me high 16 low 17 I believe, which as you know is highway. That 5mpg gain is kinda good enough for me, although the Lexus is rated to get 28.

Question as far as that stiff ride. How much of a difference can another set of tires make? Or am I just being ridiculous?
You're being ridiculous.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

I concur you are being ridiculous.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Saberspark

Originally Posted by RUNWDVL
I concur you are being ridiculous.
Originally Posted by Syner
You're being ridiculous.

Well, I asked for that didn't I?

I had read some thing around the webs and thought that might've been a thing. I also remember reading something about coilovers accomplishing the desired effect.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
Think of the G as like a slightly chubbier version of the two twin sisters even though both are on the chubby side lol. They both use the same engine so in that department they are identical but the differences is obviously with the body of these two thick girls. The Z, she's fairly agile and athletic despite being heavier than most of it's rivals because of the shorter wheelbase, reinforcements, and witchcraft the engineers at Nissan practice. Shorter wheelbase also means she'll be more squirrely and would want to do the nasty with you sometimes even when your not in the mood or can't get it up. You probably see this witchcraft in the massive GTR which weighs almost as much as an SUV. The G has a longer wheelbase so naturally that means it will be more stable but more sluggish and less agile on it's feet but she can still take a pounding just like her twin sister. She's less of a freak in bed than her sister but she's more predictable which means you'll feel like your more in control. You'll have more of a good time with the more athletic sister but the thicker one you'll have fun too just not as much and she doesn't have the curves the smaller sister has.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Syner

Well, I asked for that didn't I?

I had read some thing around the webs and thought that might've been a thing. I also remember reading something about coilovers accomplishing the desired effect.
Yup.
Coilovers are not intended to give a softer ride. (regardless of what the internet will have you believe)

Jah: just read your post. Amazing!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Saberspark

Yup.
Coilovers are not intended to give a softer ride. (regardless of what the internet will have you believe)

Jah: just read your post. Amazing!
So then I guess as far as the ride goes it's take it or leave it? I wouldn't be so unsure about it if I was able to like take it on the highway, but all I got to do was like 40 on smooth residential roads. I'm afraid that the 2 hours I spend driving every day might be too rough on the highway. For all I know I could be cool with it, but I don't.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Syner

So then I guess as far as the ride goes it's take it or leave it? I wouldn't be so unsure about it if I was able to like take it on the highway, but all I got to do was like 40 on smooth residential roads. I'm afraid that the 2 hours I spend driving every day might be too rough on the highway. For all I know I could be cool with it, but I don't.
It's a sports car. It was designed to have a tight suspension.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Saberspark

It's a sports car. It was designed to have a tight suspension.
Don't get me wrong, I do understand that. It's just a matter of how tight/stiff/etc. Not knowing is probably the biggest thing stopping me from just jumping on it.

Well that, and not yet knowing how reliable the 03 model is or not. Someone earlier in the thread asked why I couldn't get something like an 07, and it's because insurance is ridiculous. Most insurance companies want $700+ a month from me. Progressive is the least psychotic with I think something like $230/mo for the 350 iirc.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that. It's just a matter of how tight/stiff/etc. Not knowing is probably the biggest thing stopping me from just jumping on it.

Well that, and not yet knowing how reliable the 03 model is or not. Someone earlier in the thread asked why I couldn't get something like an 07, and it's because insurance is ridiculous. Most insurance companies want $700+ a month from me. Progressive is the least psychotic with I think something like $230/mo for the 350 iirc.
Meh. Z's are designed to last over 200,000 miles. They are probably the most reliable sports cars on the market. But, some people have had bad experiences with window motors, tire feathering, transmission grind (if you have an auto you won't worry about this). I have an 03 and don't have any of those problems (knock on wood) so my experience is probably different from everyone else's. Just like any good woman, if you take care of her, take her out to eat, tell her you love her, do a little muff diving every now and again she'll take care of you and be around whenever you need her. If she's not happy you better believe she's going to make your life sh!tty too. Oh yeah, get the insurance in your parent's name. It's what I did with both of my cars. Saves you a bunch of money so an 07 is possible and you get extra spending money on cocaine and hookers.

Last edited by Jah70; 02-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Syner

Most are the HR die-hards/fanboys.

Test drive one and see if you like it.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Whiteazn2

Talking

Most are the HR die-hards/fanboys.

Test drive one and see if you like it.
Yes gotta love the hr...
Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many points do you have on your record!?!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torn between an 03 350z and a couple non-350z cars