Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Introduction and looking to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 AM
TheYoungOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and looking to buy.

Alright.. here we go.. I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I have been a guest on this site for a while, mainly to check out the local cars and projects. I have decided to bite the bullet, and fully look into buying a 350z. A little bit about myself, I am 16 and finishing up my sophomore year. I don't want people to think I'm some rich kid who's parents are going to fund my car. I'll be doing my own payments and paying for my insurance. I do good in school, do automotive detailing, and an avid golfer. Annywaays, by the end of my month, I will have enough money for a down payment. I am looking to test drive a 350 in a couple weeks. It seems like all the dealerships are the roadsters, or automatics. Neither of those I am looking for. I have the option to buy out of state, dealership or private seller. It might seem like a big investment, but I have worked it out and I will be able to afford payments and insurance, with money on the side. If you were in my position, would you go through a private seller for a good deal? And risk the clutch going out within a week, or a dealership where they may have a warranty, but I'd also be paying more. I'm sorry if this is just a big cloud of information, it's not the best first post.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
BaBeats

Originally Posted by TheYoungOne
Alright.. here we go.. I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I have been a guest on this site for a while, mainly to check out the local cars and projects. I have decided to bite the bullet, and fully look into buying a 350z. A little bit about myself, I am 16 and finishing up my sophomore year. I don't want people to think I'm some rich kid who's parents are going to fund my car. I'll be doing my own payments and paying for my insurance. I do good in school, do automotive detailing, and an avid golfer. Annywaays, by the end of my month, I will have enough money for a down payment. I am looking to test drive a 350 in a couple weeks. It seems like all the dealerships are the roadsters, or automatics. Neither of those I am looking for. I have the option to buy out of state, dealership or private seller. It might seem like a big investment, but I have worked it out and I will be able to afford payments and insurance, with money on the side. If you were in my position, would you go through a private seller for a good deal? And risk the clutch going out within a week, or a dealership where they may have a warranty, but I'd also be paying more. I'm sorry if this is just a big cloud of information, it's not the best first post.
One thing I would mention is that if you go through a dealership and make payments on a car, you will have to have full coverage insurance on that car, but you will also have the dealers warranty. If you take a personal loan from a bank, you will not have to have full coverage on the car, however you will have a higher interest rate on the loan. I would say that your best bet would be waiting until you find a dealer with the car you are looking for, and get full coverage insurance on it. 350z's in my area are all driven by people beat the crap out of them. (One kid hit a curb so hard sideways the lugs snapped.) Anyway's, all I'm trying to say is buying from private on a sports car like this could be dangerous, or a great deal. If you're willing to take that risk, go for it, if not wait it out for a dealer and workout a nice warranty package for yourself.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:44 PM
TheYoungOne

Thanks for the reply. I understand the insurance standpoint, my brother bought a 4g Eclipse, and he now has full coverage. I check carsoup, and craigslist daily, sort by dealers and within a 250 mile radius. Minnesota isn't the best place to buy, so a little roadtrip to buy from a dealer is an option. I'll more than likely be test driving a roadster locally, but buying a normal out of state. We'll see what's listed in the next couple months.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

insurance will be high as hell, even if you do get from a dealership they wont cover the clutch because it is a "wear item".
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM
BaBeats

Originally Posted by travlee9374
insurance will be high as hell, even if you do get from a dealership they wont cover the clutch because it is a "wear item".
With my past cars I have been able to negotiate my warranty to include clutch wear for up to 6 months. Of course it was only the labor that was covered, I just had to supply the replacement parts. But it never hurts to negotiate the terms. Having the service records of a clutch replacement will help resale more than doing it all on your own and the buyer having to take your word.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:03 PM
travlee
Master

not trying to be negative nancy, i paid cash for my car (23k) and i couldnt get them to a dang thing for me, almost 6 weeks to the day after i bought it the slave in mine failed. unless they pull the trans and physcially inspect it there is no way of knowing if it is close to going or not. OP just noticed you are in MinneSNOWTA, try to find one that has not been driven in the snow, check the underbody for rust
Old 05-05-2014, 04:05 PM
BaBeats

not trying to be negative nancy, i paid cash for my car (23k) and i couldnt get them to a dang thing for me, almost 6 weeks to the day after i bought it the slave in mine failed. unless they pull the trans and physcially inspect it there is no way of knowing if it is close to going or not. OP just noticed you are in MinneSNOWTA, try to find one that has not been driven in the snow, check the underbody for rust
Things must be different in the northeast. Sucks especially since you paid cash! But that is a good point you had brought up, location does make a difference in how your deals are made.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:08 PM
travlee
Master

it is what it is, i got it fixed with the stuff i want and no more worries. anyway back on track. OP get the newest one you can afford, and enjoy it.... they are great cars
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM
TheYoungOne

it is what it is, i got it fixed with the stuff i want and no more worries. anyway back on track. OP get the newest one you can afford, and enjoy it.... they are great cars
Thanks, i'm not wanting to go above $12k, and that's still a huge responsibility. My parents are cool with whatever I choose, so that's a huge help.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 AM
BaBeats

Originally Posted by TheYoungOne
Thanks, i'm not wanting to go above $12k, and that's still a huge responsibility. My parents are cool with whatever I choose, so that's a huge help.
In my area that budget would get you an 04 or 05 with about 40k on the dash. A bank around here won't finance a car unless it's newer than an 07. I would keep that in mind!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BaBeats
In my area that budget would get you an 04 or 05 with about 40k on the dash. A bank around here won't finance a car unless it's newer than an 07. I would keep that in mind!
Yep my 2004 touring is up for sale for 13k, only 52,000 miles lol
Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point in time, I'd recommend you get a beater car. When you finish college (if you choose to do so) and get yourself a good job, go buy a used 370z or w/e successor. I went through the same thing you did back when I was in high school ~10 yrs ago. The 350Z 1st came out, super expensive, obviously wasn't going to get it. After I finished college, got me a decent job, and I bought myself a mint 350Z couple years after the 370Z came out. At that time, I was already nearing the insurance threshold where I wouldn't be charged up the @$$, and got hell of a good deal on the Z and have $ to mod it.

But seriously, don't get this car when you are this young. You would hardly have spare $ to do anything to it let alone pay for insurance/fixing an old car/paying for gas.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend you get a 240sx, or something similarly priced before buying a Z33

You can reward yourself for getting through college and getting a job by buying a 350z, but if you get it now it will take a beating in the high school parking lot and in college.

Plus your insurance is going to be a nightmare, I'd look into that first before going any further

Nick C.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:33 PM
travlee
Master

op.... go to oklahoma and get this.....

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4448367564.html
Old 05-06-2014, 04:14 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Something else that you've not mentioned is putting money aside for maintenance, servicing, tires, brake pads, discs and any number of things that are going to cost plenty. You're probably going to go through a at least one pair of rear tires a year plus you're going to want winter tires unless you're planning on taking it off the road for the winter and the last thing you want to be doing is putting budget rubber on a 350Z.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:25 PM
oldschool350z

I go through tires one time a year. It depends in how you drive of course. A good set of rear tires will be at least $600 installed . Don't forget about insurance and gas. I average 18 mpg but if I go on a trip I get 25 or so.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM
TheYoungOne

I know people are talking about money and having to worry about that. At my current job, I am making around $450 a paycheck, so right around $850 a month after taxes. I will be working that job and have another one lined up. So i'll have enough for payments, and possible maintenance. And that's just from one job's paycheck. 10 hour workdays between the two jobs, at least 5 days a week. I know it's a big investment, but I can afford payments, maintenance, and money on the side to put in the bank.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 PM
oldschool350z

Not to be rude but I don't think you'll be able to afford the Z, insurance, gas and maintenance. Not to mention storage fees if you live somewhere that has winter. Then you'll also have the expense of a second vehicle.

I own a Civic and the Z, it suck's having to store the Z every winter.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM
TheYoungOne

I know people will have their doubts, that's expected. Let's say I wasn't a 16 year old, would it change the way you look at this post? Not trying to be a d*^* . I may be completely wrong, but after I test drive i'll be speaking with my parents/insurance company on what sort of rate i'd be facing. On my brother's 2007 GT Eclipse, his payment and insurance is under $350 a month.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM
TheYoungOne

Now i'm having doubts haha, looking at RX-8s with the factory replaced engine.

Quick Reply: Introduction and looking to buy.