Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

350z for College

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I honestly wouldn't get a nice car to be keeping on campus. Idk about your school but my school had some really drunk ****** outside every Thursday-Saturday night pissing on people's cars, taking the air out the tires, putting dirty underwear on license plates, taking hub caps off and flinging them like Frisbees, putting bananas or other fruits in the exhaust pipes, accidentally slamming their doors into your door, hitting your car etc. To be honest, I wouldn't even drive the Altima you have there because those are the kind of people your car will be around especially if it's a notorious party school. I wouldn't even think about bringing a nice car on campus. And besides the ****** on campus you'll have to worrying about the bills on top of that unless you want to ball on a budget in college where no one gives a shiit about what car you drive. I would go the complete opposite direction and downgrade from the 09 Altima and get something even cheaper that is reliable at the same time. That way you save even more money for cocaine, strippers, spring break vacations, alcohol, morning after pills if a girl isn't on birth control etc.

Last edited by Jah70; 05-12-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Brakes can easily be done for under $300
where ever you're finding brembos for under $300 i would like to know the location of them.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 AM
FOOKhonda

Originally Posted by patrickoneal
A brake job wouldn't cost $1500, you can get pads and rotors at advance auto cheap, not much more than the standard brakes. If you have a caliper fail, it will get a bit more expensive.

As for insurance, I pay less than $85/month for full coverage on my 07 roadster. Always call your insurance for a quote before buying a car, you don't want any surprises. Everyone is in a different situation.

Be careful of the 06 model. The manual transmission models are known to burn oil. An 07 or newer would be better all around, except for the slave cylinder on the manual models, but there are aftermarket parts to fix that.

if you dont want the brembos they are about the same as getting your brakes changed on any car, however the BREMBO'S are more than $1500.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
I honestly wouldn't get a nice car to be keeping on campus. Idk about your school but my school had some really drunk ****** outside every Thursday-Saturday night pissing on people's cars, taking the air out the tires, putting dirty underwear on license plates, taking hub caps off and flinging them like Frisbees, putting bananas or other fruits in the exhaust pipes, accidentally slamming their doors into your door, hitting your car etc. To be honest, I wouldn't even drive the Altima you have there because those are the kind of people your car will be around especially if it's a notorious party school. I wouldn't even think about bringing a nice car on campus. And besides the ****** on campus you'll have to worrying about the bills on top of that unless you want to ball on a budget in college where no one gives a shiit about what car you drive. I would go the complete opposite direction and downgrade from the 09 Altima and get something even cheaper that is reliable at the same time. That way you save even more money for cocaine, strippers, spring break vacations, alcohol, morning after pills if a girl isn't on birth control etc.
This is hilarious but totally a possibility

I drove a beater all through school and focused on my education. OP should do the same
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 AM
patrickoneal

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
if you dont want the brembos they are about the same as getting your brakes changed on any car, however the BREMBO'S are more than $1500.
No they aren't.

If you think a standard brake job(pads and rotors) turns into $1,500 just because someone has factory Brembo brakes, I'd like to start doing your brake jobs.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Zeroalma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the Altima. Newer, less miles, and better mpg. Insurance rate on a Z will be higher, you'll have less space to move stuff or friends, and it'll be less comfortable. Graduate first, then keep the Altima as your daily and buy yourself a brand new Z after you've landed a nice job after college. KEEP THE ALTIMA.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

No they aren't.

If you think a standard brake job(pads and rotors) turns into $1,500 just because someone has factory Brembo brakes, I'd like to start doing your brake jobs.
Not even worth addressing that post, I have no idea where that pricing was taken from
Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't get a nice car for college unless you have a garage to park it in. It's going to take a beating in a college parking lot.

Drunk college kids are not friendly to people's nice things IMO

Keep the Altima until you graduate from college, reward yourself for graduating and getting a job by getting a Z.

Nick C.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:44 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Keep the Altima until you graduate from college, reward yourself for graduating and getting a job by getting a Porsche.

Nick C.
Fixed!
Old 05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
TuckerE36

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was one drastic upside to having a Z during college.... Since you only had one other seat, you automatically got omitted from having to haul the friends around. I loved saying, "So who's driving!?" with a huge *** grin on my face!
Old 05-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
There was one drastic upside to having a Z during college.... Since you only had one other seat, you automatically got omitted from having to haul the friends around. I loved saying, "So who's driving!?" with a huge *** grin on my face!
Shiit that's good. But that one benefit pales in comparison to people messing up the car, money etc. Op, pull a 180 and sell the Altima and get a 4 door beater. Trust me, you'll thank me later when you graduate and rolling in doe with all the money you saved like scrooge Mc. Duck picking out a GTR or a 911 at a dealership. Or the fun memories you had snorting the finest Colombian snow off the finest stripper money can buy in Vegas, or fond memories you had on spring break getting wasted and waiting nervously for the next pregnancy test in Montreal/Miami/Daytona Beach/or Sweden.....I fcking miss college. I'm depressed thinking about the good times. That's what I did with my college fund when I found out I got a track and field scholarship and the money my parents were giving me to buy an ugly looking Jag. I took the money, bought a pos Toyota that was bulletproof and had me a ball in college. I regret nothing except for passing out on an elevator in my boxers.

Last edited by Jah70; 05-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Zruralracer

Originally Posted by TuckerE36
You also forgot to mention that the deal where only girls were allowed to ride with you if there were any (well good looking ones) and their friends could come too they just have to sit on your lap.

If you do get it just remember to get it in manual and nobody else drives your baby except you.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 PM
A3lseeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Buy the Zeeeee!

Originally Posted by TWhetsZ
Good to see a Tennessean close by on the forum, hope to see you around!
Go Vols and you might see me on Foothills Parkway or the Dragon!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 PM
FOOKhonda

No they aren't.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/5923...akes-mint.html

first poster asks for 1200 shipped

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/5908...embos-f-b.html

950 used for just the calipers

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/5877...-f-r-kits.html

850 used with just the calipers

add price of rotors, plus installation costs if needed, your easily looking at 1500.

and that is just a few examples i found in 5 mins.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/5923...akes-mint.html

first poster asks for 1200 shipped

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/5908...embos-f-b.html

950 used for just the calipers

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/5877...-f-r-kits.html

850 used with just the calipers

add price of rotors, plus installation costs if needed, your easily looking at 1500.

and that is just a few examples i found in 5 mins.
So just to be clear, when a person needs to get their brakes serviced they do not need to buy calipers, lines, and rotors all at the same time.

I have no idea why you think that is the case

Typical Brembo service is at the most $700 with brand new rotors, pads and fluid. (even if you even need to replace the rotors)
Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 AM
FOOKhonda

Originally Posted by Waizzz
So just to be clear, when a person needs to get their brakes serviced they do not need to buy calipers, lines, and rotors all at the same time.

I have no idea why you think that is the case

Typical Brembo service is at the most $700 with brand new rotors, pads and fluid. (even if you even need to replace the rotors)

that is very true, but in op's case buying a used car he may soon find out his brakes were near shot when he purchased it, its all situational, but still, at some point you will have to replace the whole set

i do suppose i was looking at it the wrong way, but the points still being he may not be able to afford it all with a part-time job. the brakes were just an example of how expensive things can be.

sorry for being a bit off the mark on a typical brake service.