Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Hi Please If you could take time and tell me if this Z is worth it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Rich Quattrucci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Please If you could take time and tell me if this Z is worth it.

Here is the ad http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4479926367.html

The guy wants 12k and the Car has 71k miles my biggest concerns are will this car be able to last 4-5 years also if any what kind of problems am I looking at. I know that I need to see the car first also if you could add what are somethings I should look for thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Have you checked NADA / KBB?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:00 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many miles u drive per year? the Z is a robust car so it should last - also depends on how it was driven before you.

looks real clean from what I can tell.

the mods to the car are very tasteful,

it has a nismo exhaust - that alone is 1k

has a nice stereo system (stock one is crap)

u get 2 sets of wheels and 10 tires

i'd say the price is very reasonable, the interior looks very clean too.

drive it, take it to a mechanic and make an educated decision.

-things to check for; clutch slippage/operation - take it on a hill and take off, alternatively on highway floor it in 5th geat at 50-60mph and see if the clutch is slipping.
-get the car on a lift and checkout underneath for rust/wreck evidence/suspension condition.

the Z is a low maintenance car so it should be a decent daily for you, just make sure its a clean car.

Last edited by 350zsunshinefl; 06-10-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:18 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

The deal looks legit on the surface but do yourself a favor and have a 3rd party mechanic check it out. They will be able to tell you much more about the car than an internet puke like myself.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good mods and looks to be taken care of..

I would however have a mechanic look it over before you invest thousands into buying it.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

I have a mechanic/car builder friend(not your backyard mechanic) that lives in Woonsocket RI that could probably look at it with you on a Saturday for a fee.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:44 PM
need 4 speed
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty solid, seems to be taken care of pretty well, but as always have a mechanic look over it before you make a purchase, and im sure the seller will drop the price down a about 750 to a grand off what he is asking for.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
ryanmackk

What's the market like in Boston?

From what I can tell you (and I'm an econ major, working in finance), the car is overpriced. I live in Toronto (which is relatively and expensive city) and I bought a 2006 touring for $12 000. Mind you, however, it was in an accident so I got it at a discount. However, the next clean 2006 was going for $16 000. You are looking at an 03.....

Things Against this Car:
- It's a manual with 70 k on it, so depending on how the previous owner drove it, you might need a new clutch soon. Don't know the cost of service in Boston, but in Toronto, I'd lose $2000 in body weight by going to the stealership, or $1000 by going local mechanic.
- Mods are mods, no matter which way you slice it. Although these aren't bad mods, it speaks to the manner of the owner. If the rims are aggressive, then probably is the driving manner therefore increased wear on components. Let's not forget this is an 11 year old car.

Things For the Car:
- Very clean, therefore maintained. Cleaned upholstery means owner took care of it
- The mods are actually nice and the wheels give the car a more premium look. Also a touch screen infotainment unit is always a bonus, saves you the cost (but the cost is factored into the car price) and the trouble of putting one in yourself.

Just remember not to go crazy spending extra money on someone else's mods. People think mods increase their vehicle value, but this is far from the truth. Shop around, take a look at the market. Maybe you can get a new vehicle with the same amount of miles for less and put some money down towards an infotainment system. At least this way you'd save yourself potential repair costs in the future.

Of course, at the end it's all value and worth. So is this car worth it for you? Maybe yes. Maybe no. Just do your due diligence and make sure it's mechanically sound.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:44 AM
350zsunshinefl

Originally Posted by ryanmackk
What's the market like in Boston?

From what I can tell you (and I'm an econ major, working in finance), the car is overpriced. I live in Toronto (which is relatively and expensive city) and I bought a 2006 touring for $12 000. Mind you, however, it was in an accident so I got it at a discount. However, the next clean 2006 was going for $16 000. You are looking at an 03.....

Things Against this Car:
- It's a manual with 70 k on it, so depending on how the previous owner drove it, you might need a new clutch soon. Don't know the cost of service in Boston, but in Toronto, I'd lose $2000 in body weight by going to the stealership, or $1000 by going local mechanic.
- Mods are mods, no matter which way you slice it. Although these aren't bad mods, it speaks to the manner of the owner. If the rims are aggressive, then probably is the driving manner therefore increased wear on components. Let's not forget this is an 11 year old car.

Things For the Car:
- Very clean, therefore maintained. Cleaned upholstery means owner took care of it
- The mods are actually nice and the wheels give the car a more premium look. Also a touch screen infotainment unit is always a bonus, saves you the cost (but the cost is factored into the car price) and the trouble of putting one in yourself.

Just remember not to go crazy spending extra money on someone else's mods. People think mods increase their vehicle value, but this is far from the truth. Shop around, take a look at the market. Maybe you can get a new vehicle with the same amount of miles for less and put some money down towards an infotainment system. At least this way you'd save yourself potential repair costs in the future.

Of course, at the end it's all value and worth. So is this car worth it for you? Maybe yes. Maybe no. Just do your due diligence and make sure it's mechanically sound.
when i was shopping for an 07-08 I would buy a nismo exhaust/ double din hu modded car without hesitation, those were the first mods I did and cost me close to $2000, a lot of people want a bone stock car - bud me personally, if a car has been modded with genuine/good brand parts - just tells me the owner didn't cheap out on anything and took care of the car.

Also doesn't necessarily mean it was driven hard, I owned a full bolt on Z before and I never beat on it and rarely even took it to redline (maybe twice a month at MOST), I had all genuine nissan/motordyne parts.

I moded the car because I wanted to, the added performance was nice - but I never used it.
The same reason a lot of people buy hypercars and drive them like its a civic. It's the idea that the power is THERE, but most people either don't want to use it or have no desire to use it.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:00 AM
ryanmackk

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
when i was shopping for an 07-08 I would buy a nismo exhaust/ double din hu modded car without hesitation, those were the first mods I did and cost me close to $2000, a lot of people want a bone stock car - bud me personally, if a car has been modded with genuine/good brand parts - just tells me the owner didn't cheap out on anything and took care of the car.

Also doesn't necessarily mean it was driven hard, I owned a full bolt on Z before and I never beat on it and rarely even took it to redline (maybe twice a month at MOST), I had all genuine nissan/motordyne parts.

I moded the car because I wanted to, the added performance was nice - but I never used it.
The same reason a lot of people buy hypercars and drive them like its a civic. It's the idea that the power is THERE, but most people either don't want to use it or have no desire to use it.
Yes. So you would be a good example of that type of driver. Hopefully the owner of the red 350 is the same so that OP gets a proper car. By the looks of how clean the car is, it just may be that the owner took proper care of it, just bought nice rims and infotainment unit.

To OP. Also look for how well dressed the person is and stuff like that. It's all probabilities. If it's a younger guy then maybe it was driven hard, maybe not. If it's an older guy, maybe it driven soft, maybe not. All numbers, so take it to a mechanic and get it inspected, do your due diligence.

Also, don't fall for the "lady driven" part. My car was driven by a careless woman and all the rims are so scratched up I have no choice but to resurface them all. There are nail scratches all over the trunk and there was makeup residue all over the sun visor. However, the car was in mechanically sound condition so I took it. Anyways, the point I'm making is investigation is key.

Edit: Oo I also want to add that say in Boston an 03 costs $8000 (?) but this car is $12000, you have to ask yourself, is the mechanical condition good enough, and the aftermarket bits valuable enough to warrant a $4000 premium? If yes..buy it. If not, best move on.

Last edited by ryanmackk; 06-16-2014 at 07:03 AM.