Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Seriously looking into getting a 350Z now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 PM
glo011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously looking into getting a 350Z now!

Hello everyone! I'm excited to say that I can seriously start looking at getting a Z! I'm currently 21, in college, driving a 2006 Altima with 113xxx miles. I love my car to death, but I have always wanted a Z! I just got an insurance quote of $270/month which is not much more than my Altima is now.

I am currently looking into 07-08 enthusiast models with under 75k miles with a price range of 14-16k, preferably lower of course. Would you guys recommend getting one now or waiting until I graduate? I really want to be a baller in college and pull all kinds of girls haha.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by glo011
I really want to be a baller in college and pull all kinds of girls haha.
Wait, because I don't think you are mature enough to handle the Z.
Factor in gas and maintenance expenses.
$270/month damn! Mine is $73/month. 29/M/Married. Rubbing it in...
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 PM
glo011

Originally Posted by Emski
Wait, because I don't think you are mature enough to handle the Z.
Factor in gas and maintenance expenses.
$270/month damn! Mine is $73/month. 29/M/Married. Rubbing it in...
I'm very jealous. How much would you say that you spend in a year on maintenance? Not really worried about the price of gas, although maybe I should be.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM
Bangin

270 DOLLARS!?!?!?!?

Where in the world do you live?

I'm 24 with 2 speeding tickets and a suspension on my record (driving a friends car that didn't have insurance that I found out about the hard way) and my full coverage quote from Progressive is 97 a month with roadside assistance and a couple other non-required insurance perks like hospital payments etc.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 PM
djake

If you can afford it, go for it. As long as when you say "I really want to be a baller in college and pull all kinds of girls haha," you don't mean that you want to do burnouts in parking lots or drive like a douche, it would be a helluva nice ride for being 21.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Please don't get a Z. You will drive like a douche and give us a bad name.

It is probably high because of your age, driving record or lack of insurance.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 AM
glo011

Originally Posted by djake
If you can afford it, go for it. As long as when you say "I really want to be a baller in college and pull all kinds of girls haha," you don't mean that you want to do burnouts in parking lots or drive like a douche, it would be a helluva nice ride for being 21.
I wouldnt doubt that I would play around occasionally but who on here doesn't? I would like for the 350 to be my baby so I don't plan on doing anything stupid to wreck it.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Feedmebearzilla

I'm 19 in college and I love my 04 touring 350z. Real fun car to drive and insurance is good in my opinion. Although I pay 340 a month on insurance due to bad driving habits in the past haha but I drive pretty normal now. Overall if you can afford it . Go for it you won't regret it !
On the plus side , girls dig the car except for my girlfriend lol
Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM
djake

I wouldnt doubt that I would play around occasionally but who on here doesn't? I would like for the 350 to be my baby so I don't plan on doing anything stupid to wreck it.
Oh no doubt you have to play around a bit. I'm just saying most people trying to impress girls thinks burnouts and driving like an a-hole are the way to their hearts (or the patch of skin and possibly silicone in front of their hearts), and as long as you don't do that crap, you should be fine.

All I read about is how young people aren't ready for a Z, or a sports car, but come on; half of them had some sort of fast car in high school (maybe not as nice but still...put any idiot in a fast car and it's just as dangerous) and the other half would have killed for one.

Yes, we have age and wisdom on our side but that doesn't mean when we were your age we would have listened to anybody about the dangers of driving fast.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:49 PM
glo011

Originally Posted by djake
Oh no doubt you have to play around a bit. I'm just saying most people trying to impress girls thinks burnouts and driving like an a-hole are the way to their hearts (or the patch of skin and possibly silicone in front of their hearts), and as long as you don't do that crap, you should be fine.

All I read about is how young people aren't ready for a Z, or a sports car, but come on; half of them had some sort of fast car in high school (maybe not as nice but still...put any idiot in a fast car and it's just as dangerous) and the other half would have killed for one.

Yes, we have age and wisdom on our side but that doesn't mean when we were your age we would have listened to anybody about the dangers of driving fast.
I can proudly say that I've never gotten a speeding ticket after 5 years of driving (knock on wood!). I like to think I'm a pretty good driver haha
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM
glo011

Just found out I won't be able to get a loan from a bank because it will be over 5 years old. Damn.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Owning and driving a Z involves a little more than filling it with gas and then showing off at college. Because its a sports car, maintenance is a big thing and parts aren't exactly cheap and its not worth cheaping out when buying parts (which you will undoubtedly will be doing as a matter of course). I appreciate you want the hottest car in the lot but make sure you budget accordingly.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Deteria

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell yea you'd definitely be real ballin in college with a 7 year old car and on top of that, college girls only flock to guys with a Z.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:16 PM
glo011

Found a reasonably priced 2004 Z touring model with 57k miles for 11k, only issue is that it has a 2006 G35 engine in it. Seems like a risk to buy a Z that has already been modified a lot.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Wait till you graduate college. I bought mine brand new right after I got my diploma. With a new career I had a healthy mod budget to go along with the car.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a reasonably priced 2004 Z touring model with 57k miles for 11k, only issue is that it has a 2006 G35 engine in it. Seems like a risk to buy a Z that has already been modified a lot.
Uhmm... correct me if i'm wrong, But the g35, is the same exact engine..
as a 2006, if its stick, youll have the VQ35DER or the Rev-up engine instead of the VQ35DE that comes on every z up to 2006, which you can only get in manual, autos are the normal DE...

so if its manual, think of the "engine swap" as a good thing, but who knows, maybe you can set the DER up in an auto, and thats what they did, but they dont sell them in the auto (as far as i know)

P.S. dont get a Z... mait is a B****... headlight housing (OEM) around $500 EACH for the xenon's maybe a lil less for the halogen.. xenon bulbs are around $100 each... tires arent cheap bout $100 each ona good set, and you will be replacing them pretty often.. brakes as well, and brembos, are NOT CHEAP EVEN USED.

Last edited by FOOKhonda; 06-26-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And if you park at a college campus it will get dinged to hell.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Just found out I won't be able to get a loan from a bank because it will be over 5 years old. Damn.
In my opinion, save until you are out of college. Having a car loan sucks with the Z. I paid my 5 year loan off in under 3 WHILE modding along the way and I wish I would have put it all towards the loan.

Tires would be my biggest concern as you learn about the Z they come with wider wheels/tires in the back (245/45s) but they also come with "tire feathering" from the factory....well most do. I thought I was in the clear with my 08........... NOPE burnt through the inside of the OEM Bridgestones before it even looked like I drove on the outsides.....

I would do your research on years, models, perks, drawbacks of each car in your area. If you save X amount each month for a fat down payment or even to buy outright you will be able to owe it free and clear in no time.

Looking back, I would have taken my advice, but wouldn't have it any other way. The Z is fkn awesome. VQ POWWAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 AM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody ever plans on doing anything stupid to wreck it, they just do. I don't think Dugan was planning to spend his Thanksgiving wrapped around a pole.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
technic05

IMHO don't get the Z just to show off to girls. Bc if you find a girl, multiply your expenses by 2. Make sure you can afford that and you'll be fine lol.

You'll spend more on insurance up until you're out of college and it's money you wont ever get back it just disappears.

Wait till college is over. Then hopefully you'll have a good paying career. Then with all that money you saved you could have the car you REALLY want at the mileage you want and at the price. Don't strangle your cash-flow now and pay for it later.

I wish I followed my own advice when I got my STI when I was 20. NJ insurance, just imagine. I was basically working full-time with school to pay for the car. I also had my girlfriend, who is my wife and mother of my child, to keep happy and it was a CHALLENGE.

Once again it's your money, your decisions, just remember money is hard to get and easy to spend. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Seriously looking into getting a 350Z now!