Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a 2003 Nissan 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:11 PM
italian2146

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2003 Nissan 350z

Yesterday the Nissan dealership had one trade in nissan 350z on the lot and it was automatic unfortunately but I did check it out cause it had 103 thousand mileage. I was unable to test drive it cause it was just traded in and the car has not yet been inspected by Nissan yet but the guy told me they were going to price it between 4-6 grand and I can put money down for that cause I have 8 grand in the bank. The only thing I'm worried about is that it has high mileage and it is a 2003 which I heard had issues. I am 20 years old now and have been saving up for my first car for a while now even though I have been driving my father's car for a while now. This would be my first car insured. I make 10 dollars and hour right now until I become a firefighter within next year. Should I buy this car? I want this car really bad and it's my dream car but I also want to be wise about this. Thanks guys and hope for feedback on it.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:41 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Every car and every year of model will have issues. The 2003 350Z's are no worse than other cars. There was the tire feathering issue that was easily resolved with an alignment. There were never any issues with the automatic transmissions. They seem to be rock solid. I would get the car inspected by a reliable mechanic and if everything is found to be ok, buy the car. Then enjoy.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:49 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Sorry, I'm going to have to take the opposite tack and say the OP shouldn't get this particular Z33. First, a powerful RWD sportscar in the hands of a inexperienced driver is not a good combination. Second, the insurance on a Z for a 20-year old is going to be high. Better to look for a lower priced FWD car with more reasonable rates. Finally, it's an auto and your first Z should help you learn how to drive one of the sweetest shifting gearboxes around! Don't do it!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 PM
italian2146

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry, I'm going to have to take the opposite tack and say the OP shouldn't get this particular Z33. First, a powerful RWD sportscar in the hands of a inexperienced driver is not a good combination. Second, the insurance on a Z for a 20-year old is going to be high. Better to look for a lower priced FWD car with more reasonable rates. Finally, it's an auto and your first Z should help you learn how to drive one of the sweetest shifting gearboxes around! Don't do it!

May I ask why I am considered an inexperience driver? I have a clean driving record and just cause I'm 20 does not mean you can stereotype me into the other 20 year olds. I am actually very mature for my age. I'm not into those party scenes and never have been and I do not do drugs. I am just starting that incase you think I do . I do understand that insurance may be high and I wouldn't be buying this car but the reason why I considered and I am considering it is cause I am paying no bills at all right now and I have no debt and have outstanding credit. I also will have my school paid off cause its only 6500 for the whole school cause I am becoming a firefighter. Like I said still advice and wisdom appreciated. If still a no then I'll respect it and think more about my decision..
Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

We've heard it all, and you're not the first to proclaim that you're more than a model citizen and above average driver.

Statistics dictates you will do one of the following within the first year:

Wrap it around a pole on Thanksgiving.
Go up a curb and cause 4k in subframe damages.
Spin out getting off the freeway at a higher rate of speed.
Run out of money trying to maintain the car or paying for insurance.

The 350z eats young inexperienced drivers and there is nationwide data supporting this. I'm not kidding.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Zruralracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I will say that 225, 235/45 stock tire width set up is not exactly what the Z needs to be rolling on with the capability it has, but hey that is what Nissan decided on (no idea why they didn't go a bit wider). My number one problem is that your buying it from a dealership, and my number two is it's automatic. I would recommenced getting a nice little civic or something you can learn to drive manual on, save up, sell it, and then go head on over to craigslist and autotrader and find yourself a nice used 350z in manual. (dealership salesman are sneaky and have razzle dazzle)

Word of advice, don't worry about people telling you about your age everyone has an opinion and at the end of the day it is still just an opinion. So do what you want and take the comments here with a grain of salt. DO YOUR RESEARCH before you jump into this car. Just read and look up as much as you can about it so that you understand what exactly you are getting into with repair costs, ease of modification, insurance, and etc.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Point 1: If there is ANY doubt AT ALL about wanting Manual trans EVER, do NOT buy this particular Z. Nothing against autos, but I found myself in a similar situation with my RX8 I bought when I was 19 (perfect intro to RWD imo). My step dad talked me outta the MT 8 that was a few thousand more and white. Fast forward to today->I sold the green auto 8 for my WHITE MT Z.

Point 2: While the 2003 car isn't "old" it is over 10 years old and general stuff can nickel and dime you. Everything could be "perfect" when you buy it, but say a bushing or bearing or some other unseen item finally gives and instead of tires lasting you-let's say X months, now its X minus 6 months... PLUS you have to repair the bushing or whatever it is. Zs are pretty solid, but there WILL be issues. Anything from a simple noise/failure of hatch struts to tired suspension component replacement.

Point 3: I don't know if getting this car will "boost your game" with the boys/girls (whatever you're into) but looking back on me getting my RX8, I bought it because none of my friends could afford it at 19. I made payments and that sucked. Now, most of my friends are buying (chitty) houses, but at least it's their own(sorta) and I've put off buying a house mostly due to being in the military, but also I don't think I'm stable enough to buy one just yet. I could easily afford one especially with the VA help, but I don't want to stay in Iowa, and moving isn't cheap.... Say if it had bought something more reasonable then I would have that money in the bank for now......

20 isn't that young, and I'm only 27, but your priorities can change in MONTHS let alone years.

If it was me at 20, I would buy it and never look back.
If it was me now, I would try to buy your dad's car you've been driving and know where it's been.

that's my 98 cents.

sorry for tl;dr

best of luck
Old 07-01-2014, 05:43 AM
italian2146

Well here's my dilemma the 350z is the only car I like and all other cars by different brands are ugly to me and I honestly don't know any car to get. I like the 2010 scion TCS and up but u heard they can be ricer cars which I don't want to be considered on the rode. Any car suggestions for me??
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 AM
The_Assassin

Originally Posted by italian2146
May I ask why I am considered an inexperience driver? I have a clean driving record and just cause I'm 20 does not mean you can stereotype me into the other 20 year olds. I am actually very mature for my age. I'm not into those party scenes and never have been and I do not do drugs. I am just starting that incase you think I do . I do understand that insurance may be high and I wouldn't be buying this car but the reason why I considered and I am considering it is cause I am paying no bills at all right now and I have no debt and have outstanding credit. I also will have my school paid off cause its only 6500 for the whole school cause I am becoming a firefighter. Like I said still advice and wisdom appreciated. If still a no then I'll respect it and think more about my decision..
If you are responsible then being 20 shouldn't matter. I hate when people look at us younger guys and say were inexperienced. I bought my Z right before my 21st birthday and still no accidents or any speeding tickets. I have been driving since I was 17 and still have a clean record. I am now 22 years old. I say if you can afford it then go for it. I have had no problems so far with mine just that gas gets a little high sometimes lol.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

If you're 20 and only been driving for 3-4 years, you're still learning. Glad you have a clean driving record (you'll need it just to get the insurance), but the Z is still a car that can get you into trouble quickly. Having a FWD car that usually understeers when pushed is one thing, but handling a V6-powered RWD sportscar in a variety of weather conditions can be tricky.

The point is, drugs and party scenes aside, there's plenty of young 17-22 year olds who've crashed their Zs and never really understood why it happened. Hell, there's probably 25-35 year olds who've curbed their Zs or worse and still never understood the driving dynamics.

You asked for advice and I'm just providing mine. And before you make an impulse buy on that used Z at the dealership, maybe think about it and know...there's going to be other Zs for sale in the future- ones that are better buys (if you're patient) and equipped the way you want. Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Landon_G03z

If you are as mature as you say, don't worry about the "extremely powerful rwd sports car" factor. It's not extremely powerful. Just don't be an idiot behind the wheel. That's a good price for the car. The only way to figure out about insurance is to call places and get prices. Good luck.

Last edited by Landon_G03z; 07-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Blu Hvn

A dealer was going to price an '03 with 103k miles for "4 - 6 grand"? I don't hardly think so. That sounds WAY too cheap but......

Don't jump on the first Z you come across. Do your shopping and comparing and find out how much insurance is.

Also, do some shopping on regular wear stuff like tires. Those can set you back $400-$500 easily.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM
italian2146

Well I decided I probably won't but my first Nissa. 350z or 370z until I'm at least 25 years old. My question is what is the average salary make for nissan 350z drivers? Can I really afford a 370z in a firefighter salary in a couple years when I'm still single and by myself?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Zruralracer

Well I decided I probably won't but my first Nissa. 350z or 370z until I'm at least 25 years old. My question is what is the average salary make for nissan 350z drivers? Can I really afford a 370z in a firefighter salary in a couple years when I'm still single and by myself?
What is the average salary of firefighters where you live?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

You'll have more than enough for a new car if you're single and working full time in the FD and hit the average. Median salary in the US is in the $40k+ range, low end in the $20k, high of $70k. That's a much better plan, get yourself established and go from there.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 PM
italian2146

Well at the Nissan dealership today I test drove that 2003 nissan 350z with 106,000 mileage on it and honestly it sounded it real clean and it was inspected by the dealership. The only thing needed to be replaced was the rear door handle which they ordered. As I stated before I have 7500 in the bank and make 10 dollars on 35 hours a week paying no bills. Now they wanted 10,995 for the car and I honestly could of bought it and still paid for insurance but I was worried about if anything was to go wrong with the car cause I heard these cars can be very costly to fix so Im not sure if I made the right decision by not buying this car cause my firefighter school will cost me 6500 in total and I had to decide whether to pay for college and the car. I decided college but I will have nothing in the bank basically until I graduate from college in a year from the firefighter program and hopefully I will at least have 12 grand in the bank and will be able to buy a 350z newer. Any advice on if I made the right choice and any advice on what you would of done? Thanks guys.