Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Help me convince my father im making a good choice here.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Scuba13

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor5150
Wow im kinda happy I didnt reply to this thread after awhile..

How can you be such a ****ing *** hole? I dont live with my parents my dad kicked me out when I graduated high school and ive been on my own ever since. I live in my own apartment with my girlfriend and I pay my own god damn bills. Who the hell do you think you are to put me on trial?

You dont know my life style you dont know what I do for a living. Stfu and grow a pair all I was asking was a little faith that im making a good choice but whatever its my cash and I can do whatever the hell I want with it. Ill show my dad that I did make a good choice by hanging onto the car for a good long while.

Everyone here is so ready to attack one another? god damn forums honestly what good are they anymore? I know why I stay away from them.

You want real non *** hole discussion I guess you really should stay on Reddit these days. Atleast people on there arnt ****wits.

Bah, ignore the haters. that many miles for a car in Texas doesnt seem that bad. Up here in Minnesnowta we obviously can't drive all year so the numbers are usually a little lower. As a fellow younger guy on here (24 years old, bought my Z earlier this spring when I was still 23) I can tell you that the best way to prove your Dad wrong is to get out and do it. It may take a couple years for him to realize it and admit that its a nice and reliable car, but he will come around when you start getting those miles up without any issues arising. After all, you are your own man and need to make your own decisions, no matter how big they start to become.

I wouldn't necessarily say the Z is a "money pit" but you can claim that you're going to keep it stock all you want. As soon as you lose your first little street race you're going to be wanting to upgrade everything you can. There are affordable bolt ons, but they will lead to more and more, just like everyone says. Just be smart about your upgrades and think all of them through first, don't go making any impulse buys.

(and maybe set aside about $1,200 for a new clutch + install for when that decides to go)

TL;DR: Go for it

Last edited by Scuba13; 09-12-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:10 PM
Raptor5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zHalleck
How? It's easy. In your very first post you stated that daddy pays your insurance. So you don't pay your own bills. More ******** from another entitled kid. Get your story straight before you get all puffer fish on us.

If it's your cash and you can do whatever you want with it then why did you come on a public forum asking opinions?

Go back to reddit then.
Gladly. But if you would read cockstain I said he pays for insurance. On a car that I bought from a friend of his since it was easier as I was registering it back home. I pay my rent I pay my electric and phone bills and I pay for food. Insurance for my Z will be from me. As is my current insurance on my 1997 integra. I pay 70 a month for my integra he probably pays 30$ if that for the impala.

So next time you call me entitled for 30$ a month you must have had a hard family life because asking for 30$ a month is nothing. Hes just nice enough to do it because he is my father. But thats all he has ever paid for in my life on my own.

Originally Posted by Scuba13
Bah, ignore the haters. that many miles for a car in Texas doesnt seem that bad. Up here in Minnesnowta we obviously can't drive all year so the numbers are usually a little lower. As a fellow younger guy on here (24 years old, bought my Z earlier this spring when I was still 23) I can tell you that the best way to prove your Dad wrong is to get out and do it. It may take a couple years for him to realize it and admit that its a nice and reliable car, but he will come around when you start getting those miles up without any issues arising. After all, you are your own man and need to make your own decisions, no matter how big they start to become.

I wouldn't necessarily say the Z is a "money pit" but you can claim that you're going to keep it stock all you want. As soon as you lose your first little street race you're going to be wanting to upgrade everything you can. There are affordable bolt ons, but they will lead to more and more, just like everyone says. Just be smart about your upgrades and think all of them through first, don't go making any impulse buys.

(and maybe set aside about $1,200 for a new clutch + install for when that decides to go)

TL;DR: Go for it
Thank you! Ive decided to do just that and I will be replacing the master slave cylinder with a Zspeed replacement. That will be my first purchase as a "mod" cheap too 350$

Finally a nice guy and that was exactly what I was looking to hear about what I should do so thank you very much sir.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:35 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i have been nice......
Old 09-13-2014, 04:55 PM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i have been nice......
How ever so nice of you.

OP make sure you get it on the road before thanksgiving!
Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

hehe
Old 09-13-2014, 05:04 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

i have been nice......
Actually, I have been exceptionally nice. But that's all changing bc UGA just lost.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Raptor5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been nice......
You have been very nice Trav so thank you too!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Scuba13

Originally Posted by Raptor5150
That will be my first purchase as a "mod"
Key word is first. Have fun with it
Old 09-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I only read the original post and here's my 2 cents.

You're 23, do what you want if it's your money. The mechanics are full of ****. The Z is a great car as long as no one has mistreated it. 03-06 Z's did not have a ton of problems. SOME of the DE's consumed an above average amount of oil but certainly not all of them. I have an 06 RevUp DE that consumes less than 0.25 quarts of oil consistently after 3000+mile intervals. I would recommend getting a DE Z with less miles over an HR with close to 100k miles... I've driven both and it's not a big difference, at all. Not saying the HR isn't a better motor but less miles > HR.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Doggman9
I only read the original post and here's my 2 cents.

You're 23, do what you want if it's your money. The mechanics are full of ****. The Z is a great car as long as no one has mistreated it. 03-06 Z's did not have a ton of problems. SOME of the DE's consumed an above average amount of oil but certainly not all of them. I have an 06 RevUp DE that consumes less than 0.25 quarts of oil consistently after 3000+mile intervals. I would recommend getting a DE Z with less miles over an HR with close to 100k miles... I've driven both and it's not a big difference, at all. Not saying the HR isn't a better motor but less miles > HR.
The RevUp was the only thing I'd stay away from in a Z. Yours sounds decent, but I've heard of some consuming 0.5-1 quart every few weeks.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
The RevUp was the only thing I'd stay away from in a Z. Yours sounds decent, but I've heard of some consuming 0.5-1 quart every few weeks.
I hear ya. I have read numerous posts about oil consuming RevUps but you know how it goes. The people without problems generally don't post. I, admittedly, rolled the dice on my RevUp. I knew about the oil consumption issue but couldn't pass up a very well maintained, garage kept, low miles, touring, 6spd, in my area. I have checked it 5 times now (3000 mile intervals) and the most it ever consumed was 0.25 quarts. Using castrol synthetic and I drive it hard pretty regularly. Sorry for off topic but felt compelled to defend my RevUp, lol
Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Doggman9
I hear ya. I have read numerous posts about oil consuming RevUps but you know how it goes. The people without problems generally don't post. I, admittedly, rolled the dice on my RevUp. I knew about the oil consumption issue but couldn't pass up a very well maintained, garage kept, low miles, touring, 6spd, in my area. I have checked it 5 times now (3000 mile intervals) and the most it ever consumed was 0.25 quarts. Using castrol synthetic and I drive it hard pretty regularly. Sorry for off topic but felt compelled to defend my RevUp, lol
Understandable.

I check the oil in all my vehicles once every week, and only one burns oil. Regardless of a heavy/light burner, keep it topped up.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by Syner
I've had 2 06 Revups... my first one consumed enough oil that the dealer replaced engine even though I was 3rd owner and it was out of warranty. The 350z that i have now is also a revup, but it doesn't consume oil at all (thank god) ... it's hit or miss with them I guess.