Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Help me convince my father im making a good choice here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Raptor5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me convince my father im making a good choice here.

Alright so the story goes 2 years ago I was involved in a motorcycle accident that wasn't my fault. Flash forward to now me being 23 and next month ill be getting a nice settlement check from this whole ordeal. I promised myself a fun motorcycle replacement that would be reliable good on gas and all out fun to drive just like my sport bike was.

Ive decided on a 2007 350Z with less than 100k miles and maintained by a very amazing owner. it has the HR motor and everything... Its perfect.

Now my dad on the other hand thinks that this car will be a "Money pit" when ive told him how much homework ive been doing on what I want in a car ive told him that the 2007-2008 are the best years to get and they are right in my price range. Plus the HR's have no issues like the DE and Rev ups had.

I live in Texas so no snow to worry about or anything like that and my insurance would be about 130$ a month its literally perfect for me and my gf to cruise around in and have fun. It gets awesome gas mileage 27 highway. And insurance would be cheaper once I hit 25 especially since I have an amazing driving record.

All he wants to think about is how his car wash's shop owned by his brother (so he knows all the mechanics) tell him 'Dont get that car' and all he sees are issues that the 2004's had and what not. Or what he remembers off the top of his head.

First thing id be doing after having the care would be buying a set of tires for the future and maybe some oil and filter for the first change.

What can I do or what can you guys tell me that I can tell him to ease his mind about my future purchase? I want to have fun on the road like I did when I rode for hours and something that has good all around specs and speed. I have a 2002 impala right now as a daily and as a people mover if I have to... Other than that its just me and my GF.

Please guys help me become a Z owner! Ive loved these cars since I was playing forza 2 back in the day. At the end of the day its my money and I can do whatever I want but you know how disapproving fathers are that knot in the pit of your stomach knowing they dont approve of what you are getting or looking into. I want to prove him wrong in the sense of "Wow 5 years later and you are still driving that thing without issue?" type of thing.

Thanks

Raptor

Last edited by Raptor5150; 08-28-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 PM
billydabiller

That's a lot of miles for a 07 I'd look for something with lower miles and a little older I have the 2004 and it's bad to the bone. Has 100.000 miles. I Put in a new head unit, amp and a sub behind the seat. I had to change out the throw out bearing and clutch for like 350.00 myself. He might of took care of the car but he drove it a lot. Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Raptor5150

Originally Posted by billydabiller
That's a lot of miles for a 07 I'd look for something with lower miles and a little older I have the 2004 and it's bad to the bone. Has 100.000 miles. I Put in a new head unit, amp and a sub behind the seat. I had to change out the throw out bearing and clutch for like 350.00 myself. He might of took care of the car but he drove it a lot. Good Luck.

70,000 doesnt scream a lot of miles to me. Especially for a 2007.

And this post didnt really help me at all lol.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:36 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

70K for a 2007 is high regardless of what you think.

2004's had issues? New to me.
Last I checked, 2004 was one of the most reliable years.

Also - you're 23. WTF? Make your own choice.
Unless you can't because you still live at home? Then you play by daddy's rules. If you don't like it, move out. Simple.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 AM
SilverStone2003

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to know how full coverage insurance is $130mo for someone the same age as me. I never got almost 30mpg either.

your dad is right tho. Maitenece for these are close to what a VW/Audi is IMO. Tires every 6-8 months since you cant rotate them, that mileage your at probably will need a clutch and your looking at 700 just in parts alone for a JWT/Southbend kit. Then I'm sure your going to want wheels/tires/coils/etc. It really isnt a car for a college guy with a part time job. When something breaks it usually isnt cheap.

There isnt really anything anyone on here can tell you to win your dad over on the Z. Its a low end sports car with no backseat.

Last edited by SilverStone2003; 08-29-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:06 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Maintenance/repair costs on Nissans is nowhere near to what it costs owning an Audi. Keeping a Z running well is relatively inexpensive (compared with an Audi TT, Porsche Boxter, etc), but there's no denying that fuel economy is average at best. Consider limiting the number of mods to your new new Z to help convince your dad it's not going to be a "money pit". But some good tires and change the fluids (do some research on this site) and show him all your costs over the next year. Unless you're modding heavily, they'll be very little.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Raptor5150

Originally Posted by dkmura
Maintenance/repair costs on Nissans is nowhere near to what it costs owning an Audi. Keeping a Z running well is relatively inexpensive (compared with an Audi TT, Porsche Boxter, etc), but there's no denying that fuel economy is average at best. Consider limiting the number of mods to your new new Z to help convince your dad it's not going to be a "money pit". But some good tires and change the fluids (do some research on this site) and show him all your costs over the next year. Unless you're modding heavily, they'll be very little.
This is exactly what I'll end up doing just driving the thing.. I figured I'd buy my next set right away and maybe do an oil change and see how long it lasts the only thing I would probably want to do is a big brake kit since I felt them on the 370 I test drove the other day loved the stopping power. But that wouldn't be till much later.

Thanks for your input.

And no I dont live at home I live on my own with my GF I just want to prove my dad wrong for once. And this wouldn't be a daily for me its a personal vehicle since I have a 2002 impala as a daily but that doesn't mean I won't be driving the Z every chance I get but it does help with insurance that and a good driving record.

Last edited by Raptor5150; 08-29-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 PM
tommy smith

Default as an old guy 65 & an owner of several Z's

I can tell you that those cars 07/08 if they were taken care will run over 300k with only minimal reg. maintenance like oil changes & plugs at 100k. Tell him they have a timing chain, not belts & almost impossible to destroy.

I have a 1995 240sx se that runs like a new car. Tell him Nissans run forever!!!! Good idea to have it checked out at a friendly Nissan dealer. They also will see if all/any recalls were taken care off. Good choice!!! Good luck !!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

...What's your driving record like? Any tickets, wrecks, etc? If it were my kid, I would need to see financial responsibility AND self-control proven before agreeing.

Just for fun, search for a story about "Dugan" and read it.
GL
Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Pics of G/f and we will decide if she is attractive enough to be worthy to ride in a Z
Old 08-29-2014, 01:18 PM
tommy smith

Default price of car ??? also

if you use quality brake parts, getting after market brake system is a waste of money....
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy smith
if you use quality brake parts, getting after market brake system is a waste of money....
brembos are quality or after market?
Old 08-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Raptor5150

Originally Posted by Syner
brembos are quality or after market?
Akebonos are quality my friend. I felt them in the new 370's and they have amazing stopping power.

I'd really want a pair in my 350.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:49 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

i would suggest a new master cylinder .... although not necessary... you are moving moving more pistons
Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 PM
Raptor5150

Originally Posted by travlee
i would suggest a new master cylinder .... although not necessary... you are moving moving more pistons
True.. They should run fine with stock stainless steel upgraded brake lines. Where are you in texas trav? Im in DFW myself.

Last edited by Raptor5150; 08-29-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor5150
True.. They should run fine with stock stainless steel upgraded brake lines. Where are you in texas trav? Im in DFW myself.
coppell/lewisville/grapevine triangle.... where they all kinda come together
Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 AM
SilverStone2003

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to ask. Why on earth would your first mod be upgrading from Brembo's to the Akebono's on a stock Z.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor5150
Alright so the story goes 2 years ago I was involved in a motorcycle accident that wasn't my fault. Flash forward to now me being 23 and next month ill be getting a nice settlement check from this whole ordeal. I promised myself a fun motorcycle replacement that would be reliable good on gas and all out fun to drive just like my sport bike was.

Ive decided on a 2007 350Z with less than 100k miles and maintained by a very amazing owner. it has the HR motor and everything... Its perfect.

Now my dad on the other hand thinks that this car will be a "Money pit" when ive told him how much homework ive been doing on what I want in a car ive told him that the 2007-2008 are the best years to get and they are right in my price range. Plus the HR's have no issues like the DE and Rev ups had.

I live in Texas so no snow to worry about or anything like that and my insurance would be about 130$ a month its literally perfect for me and my gf to cruise around in and have fun. It gets awesome gas mileage 27 highway. And insurance would be cheaper once I hit 25 especially since I have an amazing driving record.

All he wants to think about is how his car wash's shop owned by his brother (so he knows all the mechanics) tell him 'Dont get that car' and all he sees are issues that the 2004's had and what not. Or what he remembers off the top of his head.

First thing id be doing after having the care would be buying a set of tires for the future and maybe some oil and filter for the first change.

What can I do or what can you guys tell me that I can tell him to ease his mind about my future purchase? I want to have fun on the road like I did when I rode for hours and something that has good all around specs and speed. I have a 2002 impala right now as a daily and as a people mover if I have to... Other than that its just me and my GF.

Please guys help me become a Z owner! Ive loved these cars since I was playing forza 2 back in the day. At the end of the day its my money and I can do whatever I want but you know how disapproving fathers are that knot in the pit of your stomach knowing they dont approve of what you are getting or looking into. I want to prove him wrong in the sense of "Wow 5 years later and you are still driving that thing without issue?" type of thing.

Thanks

Raptor

FWIW I do think your argument has merit.

I grew up racing motocross and got into street bikes as soon as I was old enough. Over 100k miles on road bikes, mostly sport bikes, until I gave it up when I started a family. Never even owned a car until I was 25 years old.

So if having a sports car is enough to keep you off a bike, I think it's a valid argument. Honestly, it is why my wife has always allowed me to have 2 cars, so one of mine can be "sporty and impractical", because she knows it keeps me out of the motorcycle shops, lol.

Not down on motorcycles, for those who are riders know there is nothing more fun that jumping on a machine that can go zero to 100 faster than most cars can do zero to 60, but you can't escape the laws of physics, and in a crash, with no protection but leathers and a helmet, all too often riders are crippled or killed. And don't get me started on idiot drivers texting. No matter how good of a rider you are, you have ZERO control over distracted drivers in cars pulling out in front of you. ANY car offers so much more protection. In all of my years of riding I never had a serious accident and was never hurt , although MANY close calls(on the street - did bang myself up pretty good on my dirt bike, lol). I have had 2 bad car accidents in my life. Totalled both cars. Walked away from both with nothing but bruises. No substitute for being surrounded by thousands of pounds of metal.

I still do miss riding though.

Your post, however, didn't speak at all to your financial situation? Having TWO cars at a young age IS a HUGE financial drain. Are you in school? Working? What kind of income? This may be your father's biggest concern.

Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-30-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're on this forum, if you get this car and stay on this forum...this car WILL be a money pit. Unless you're one of those who loves their car completely stock..which rarely last long.

You're an adult, why do you need to convince your parents/dad anything? Make your own decision unless someone else said if you live under his roof play by his rules.

70k miles is not high for an 07. On average people drive about 10-12k a year. Unless you're barely driving the vehicle its pretty normal mileage. 100k is oh the high side though for an 07
Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Raptor5150

Originally Posted by SilverStone2003
I have to ask. Why on earth would your first mod be upgrading from Brembo's to the Akebono's on a stock Z.
Enthusiast Z so no Brembos at all.

Speaking of financial situation I pretty much am on a fixed income until I get my settlement money from my accident next month and my 2002 impala is paid off and my dad pays for insurance so basic maintenance is all it really needs and its in great shape just like nismodude 1 for fun 1 for practicality. So im good on that front and thank you all for the advice.

I've decided to continue my plan and show my dad over time how good of a car this can be and im making a solid decision for once. He will understand and I will be keeping service records and all that to really stick it in his face.

Z OWNERS FOR LIFE! Or at least till my back can no longer handle it when I get old.

Quick Reply: Help me convince my father im making a good choice here.