Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

New to the Z family

Old 01-14-2015, 05:54 PM
AndyrewT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Z family

I'm looking at buying this 2004 performance trim 350z but I need second opinions, and was wondering if you guys could help. Upon test driving it, I noticed the volt meter went from being between 14-16 dropping below 14. I could be wrong but that seems like it would be an alternator going bad. Also the transmission shifts smoothly except for 1st gear to 2nd. It feels like its grinding sometimes but most of the time it feels like you really have to force it. I looked it up and found that with most early model Z's the transmission wasn't the best but I'm not very knowledgeable so excuse me. It has only had one owner, all the maintenance has been documented, clean title and carfax. Anyway I would really appreciate your help and thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2015, 05:16 AM
CFAUVEL

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Personally I wouldn't worry about the voltmeter

as long as the voltage is 13 and above you are fine....anything above 16 is bad too. 14 is ideal.

can't say much on the transmission.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by CFAUVEL
as long as the voltage is 13 and above you are fine....anything above 16 is bad too. 14 is ideal.

can't say much on the transmission.
+1 - 12.6v is nominal voltage for idle and sometimes will draw down slightly below that under heavy load but only for a short time before the regulator does it's job and allows the alternator to do its job.

Early transmissions (not all but some...particularly '03 models) were known to have faulty 3rd gear synchros (ask me how I know about this....) but I've not heard anything about 1-2 gear change. There's a later model transmission that sort of cures the 3rd gear issue (known as a "CD009") but no guarantees because....

...your issue *might* be due to clutch slippage or not disengaging fully in that particular gear change.

A clutch job on a Z isn't cheap (unless you do all the work yourself) but it IS a normal wear item so be prepared.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:03 PM
AndyrewT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thank you guys for replying, I just got done with all the paperwork and all that the battery was going bad and they replaced it, gave me a warranty, and the final price wasn't to bad, coming out to be a little over 12k out the door. Today though starting the car and driving around I noticed that when i rev the motor theres a tiny rattle I don't know if that's normal or not, but it only happens occasionally and the first start of the day it makes a squealing noise for a moment and then stops. That's all I've noticed so far, although I feel like I still got a good deal, would you guys disagree?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyrewT
Okay thank you guys for replying, I just got done with all the paperwork and all that the battery was going bad and they replaced it, gave me a warranty, and the final price wasn't to bad, coming out to be a little over 12k out the door. Today though starting the car and driving around I noticed that when i rev the motor theres a tiny rattle I don't know if that's normal or not, but it only happens occasionally and the first start of the day it makes a squealing noise for a moment and then stops. That's all I've noticed so far, although I feel like I still got a good deal, would you guys disagree?
Congrats and welcome!

$12k is about the going price (give/take dep. on condition, mileage).

Great on the battery.

Rattle... well, that could be ANYTHING.... exhaust clamp or something else under the car, belt tensioner, loose trim, etc. Isolate it to the area then do a Sherlock Holmes on it. Probably something simple.

Squeal on cold start. Belt is likely, particularly in the cooler weather. Not much to worry about but...

Good practice anyways on any "new-to-you" car is to look over service records to see what's been done and when; then go ahead and "stage 0" (baseline) the car by replacing any/all normal service items (belts, fluids, filters, etc) preemptively so YOU know where and what's been done then start your normal services from that mileage/time you replaced them.

But most of all, get out and enjoy your new toy!

Cheers,
Mic
Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldnt worry too much about the voltage. Our transmissions such well from 2003-2006. Nissan updated to the CD009 in 2007. You best bet is to test drive the **** out of it and make sure it doesn't grind.