Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Thinking of buying a Z...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Automobilist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a Z...

Greetings...

Simply put, I'm starting to look at the 350Z. I know little about them, but suspect there are many experts here, and quite a few who consider themselves experts...

I'm a 50 something guy, who's first car was a 1940 Pontiac. My next car was an MG TD, which I still have. In high school, I had a couple year old 240Z, and a 510. Those are the only Nissans I've owned. We currently have the following:
  • 2015 BMW 328i X-Drive wagon
  • 2011 Mercedes Benz E550 coupe
  • 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD turbodiesel, 4X4, crew cab
  • 1973 MGB
  • 1971 Triumph GT6 vintage race car
  • 1969 Beach Racing Cars Mk5-C, Formula V
  • 1967 Triumph Spitfire
  • 1964 Triumph Spitfire, vintage race car
  • 1952 MG TD
We do some vintage racing around the west coast, and generally play around with the cars. I've got a nice dedicated home shop with room for seven cars, lift, air system, etc.

The shop is also casually known as the Men's Therapy Center, and often attracts neighbors who come over and unwind. We've got a good hi-fi system, several pinball machines, and usually three beers on tap out there.

I'm always sort of looking around for something different. These days, I'm more interested in a GT type, than a really hard edge sports car. A couple neighbors have Z's, so I thought I might try one for a while. My E550 is a very, very good car. Great power, and very well balanced. I've tracked it a few days, and it turned decent times at Buttonwillow. I do want something a little more lithe feeling. Like a Miata with more power and substance to it.

I'm thinking the 350Z might be sort of in between our modified MGB, which is really hard edged, and the Mercedes which is pure GT.

I'll do some scouting around here to catch things to look for in a Z. see you at the track, or on a northern California back road...
Old 06-11-2015, 05:02 PM
remo1356

Definitely look into a 07-08 HR!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Automobilist

HR = High Rev version I presume?

Last edited by Automobilist; 06-11-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:36 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

correct, more power, better trans, better interior, bulge in the hood, better headlights, led tail lights.. but the csc sucks

Last edited by travlee; 06-11-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Automobilist

Thanks... I'm "torque centric" for my road cars, mostly because I've accumulated a fair collection of "microbore" low hp cars... Love the torque of our E550 & Duramax turbodiesel Chevy pickup...

Had a Porsche 944S years ago. While it was a lovely car, it didn't make any power below 3,000 rpm. Got annoying to drive, revving so much just around town. I like relaxed, big torque engines that produce great thrust, while not needing to scream them along at 6000 rpm. Great torque, good power, relatively quiet, awesome handling are what I want at this point.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

First off, can I come live in your garage?!

Secondly, the Z is a great car, and while I don't have the life or car experience you have, I have had both ends of the RWD spectrum. My first RWD car was an 04 RX8 which was a GREAT intro to RWD. If I would have gotten the Z as my first RWD, I would be typing this from the grave. The 8 is similar to the Miata in the sense that you get up to speed and stay there due to its 48/52 (50/50) weight distribution, but is underpowered. If I had the money, I would get another one to tinker with. Maybe you look into one with an LS swap for your torque thirst?

Anyway, after the 8 I desired more power and I wanted a 6 speed (8 was an auto with tiptronic--I was 19 and my step dad talked me into it) so I started looking for Zs. I would say the HR is the way to go, but the DEs (03-05) are plentiful and can be had for cheap. If you're looking for a track toy I would just get a DE as there is "enough" power to get you in and out of trouble, and the amenities of nicer head/tail lights don't mean much to you.

That's my .02. Let us know what you get
Old 06-12-2015, 08:07 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

WARNING: LONG WINDED ANSWER (as can be expected from me, laff.... Read At Your Own Risk)

Good morning and welcome.

First question: Do I know you? Seriously... your collection of LBCs reminds me of the guys and girls who used to populate the Sears Point & Laguna paddocks back when I was Nor-Cal Competition Parts Mgr for Datsun. (Notice how I still call the tracks and the car marque by their "original" names.... meaning: nice to have another "seasoned" 50-plusser in the mix. Hahaha. )

If you raced SCCA or IMSA back in the late '70s/early '80s, I might know you (or at least have seen). Did you hang out with the F, G, H-production people with all the LBC iron... MG, Austin Bugeyes, TR-variants? They were the ones who were always "borrowing" electrical connectors and wiring from us. Lucas, Prince of Darkness and all that. Hahahahaha!!! I was the guy who drove the brightly colored (white with fanfare) truck with the Datsun logo, "Daly City Datsun" and "Datsun Competition Race Support" on the side.

Anyhow, to your topic....

I came back to Nissan (nee Datsun) after 30 years away, whilst raising a family, owning a bunch of "respectable" cars including a Q45, MBZ E55, a number of turbo Volvos, etc.

Why?

Well, after all the "responsible stuff", above, was done, I looked around and really didn't find any cars that "did it for me" like the Z/G platform did/does. Porsche and BMW aftermarket stuff too expensive (not that the Z stuff is "cheap" but it's not as high and fairly abundant everywhere), Corvettes, while I like 'em, didn't think it was a good choice at this juncture because I'm not as familiar with them as I am with Zs, albeit my last, 30 years ago, being an S30 (Gen 1 240-60-80Zs).

So, consciously decided to re-wet my sports car feet with a Z33 (never mind that I'd already leased - now own - my wife her Z34) and have NOT looked back!

But the bottom line: The Z - if treated well (regular maintenance and care) - is a highly capable GT/Sports car that is good for any road in Northern California (except those covered in that mythical white stuff, some call "snow") right out of the box.

That said, however, it's very receptive to modifications to suspension and other forms of "tune" should that be your desire. To wit (sorry, my legal training kicks in all too often) ... I see you're in 94951.... awesome roads heading out to Bodega and PCH/Jenner/SeaRanch. Wink....

Like any vehicle, there are the "good versions" and there are the "better versions". Note the quote marks. Not saying that any are more "superior" than others as it depends on what you want out of the car; just that there are some that are more desirable for whatever reason. You've already heard the lauding of the HR versions, '07-08 and it's for fairly good reasons: higher output engine, less troublesome transmission (other than the concentric slave cylinder), subtle changes in styling/function like headlights, interior, etc.

However, like I've been advising forever and NoQuestion says above, if you find an older, unabused, low mileage and documented DE-equipped car, do not put this one out of contention for your dollar. I own both versions (and the newer Z34 version as well) and I STILL love driving my '03 the best!

Here's my take on the "DE versus HR" battle:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...omparison.html

...and the follow-up/"semi"-conclusion (to save you from having the read through the entire thread):

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...l#post10566715

...and lastly, the summation (real conclusion):

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...parison-2.html

As you shop for your car, take note and understand how to identify the varying versions. At the bottom of this, I've included the Trim Level Chart (gratuitously stolen from another Z centric forum which helped me to understand them better when I was shopping a few years ago.)

MY recommendation (YMMV, depending on what you like on a car) is, IF you are planning on high performance upgrades and/or track/HPDE and/or backroads running, start with almost any model above "Base", NOT dissing on base models at all, just that all of the other models above it have key ingredients you'll want eventually for performance: limited slip diff (base had an open diff), defeatable traction control (TCS or VDC, Vehicle Dynamic Control), and above the Enthusiast level, 18" wheels (although any can be upgraded to 18 or 19 using aftermarket or OEM wheel options.

You can also learn to initially identify the various cars you're considering by looking at the interior:

Steering wheel controls
- none indicates Base model, all other models have Cruise as basic, radio controls in addition to Cruise indicates higher trim, Touring and the like.

Vehicle attitude buttons - a "TCS" OR "VDC" button will be present on the lower left dash panel above your left knee. (Base lacks either of these.)

Looking at exterior, not so easy but: Track version (the top level performance version) has gold Brembo brakes, 6-spoke forged alloys (AKA "Track V.1 wheels", and a rear lip spoiler. But don't be fooled, these can be added to/upgraded on any model Z thusly...

To verify trim level after initial inspection, use the VIN Decoder tool here: https://my350z.com/forum/vindecoder.php (or located under the "Tools" dropdown at the top of every page on this forum.) Note: this works for ANY VIN, not just Nissans.

Anyhow, I could go on and on about "Why a Z?" but I'll end here as the snoring in the audience is starting to get to me.

Good luck shopping and whatever you end up with, post pics!!

Cheers,

Mic

--------------

PS - Identification grid below (this particular one applies only to the '03-4 models but not much changed following that other than the addition of the GT - Grand Touring trim level and the '07-08 limited production Nismo 350Z which is pretty easy to spot given all the aero gizmos on it. Heh heh.)

BASE MODEL
6-Speed MT Only - $26,269

Engine

Longitudinally-Mounted 3.5L 24-Valve DOHC VQ35DE V6 engine producing 280+ horsepower and 260+ lb/ft of torque
Drive-By-Wire Throttle
High Flow Intake System
Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVTCS)
Micro-Finished Crankshaft and Camshafts
Molybdenum Coated Pistons
Sequential Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injection
Nissan Direct Ignition System (NDIS)

Transmission

6-speed close-ratio manual transmission
Short Throw Linkage

Drivetrain

Mid Mounted Front Engine/Rear Wheel Drive
52/48 Front/Rear weight balance
Carbon-Fiber Driveshaft

Braking System

Power-Assisted 11.65" Vented Front Disc Brakes & 11.5" Vented Rear Discs
Anti-Lock Braking System (4-wheel ABS) w/ Brake Assist
Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)

Suspension/Chassis

Unibody Construction with Corrosion Resistant High Strength Steel
Lightweight Aluminum Hood
Power-Assisted Engine-Speed-Sensitive Rack-and-Pinion Steering (15.9:1
steering ratio)
4-wheel fully independent Multi-Link suspension
Lightweight Aluminum-Alloy suspension components (suspension arms, entire rear subframe, etc)
Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
Rear Strut Tower Brace

Aerodynamics

Low coefficient of drag with under car air management system
Flat underbody design with deflector and diffuser plates

Exterior

Aluminum-Look Door Handles
Full Body Color Mirrors and Bumpers
Flush-Mounted Headlights
Dual Outlet Exhaust
High Output, Flush Mounted Halogen Lighting System
17" X 7.5" 7-Spoke Aluminum-Alloy Wheels
P225/50WR17 Front & P235/50WR17 Rear High Performance Michelin Tires

Comfort and Convenience

Tilt Steering Column and Integrated 3-Bay Instrument Gauge Cluster
Automatic Temperature Control System
3-Guage Cluster with Oil Pressure, Voltmeter and Trip Computer
Power Windows, Locks and Mirrors
Remote Keyless Entry System
Variable Intermittent Front Windshield Wipers
Rear Intermittent Wiper
Overhead Sunglasses Storage Compartment
Electric Rear Window Defroster
Leather Steering Wheel & Shifter
Aluminum Interior Accents
6-Way Manual Adjustable Driver’s Seat
160-Watt AM/FM/CD w/6 Speakers

Safety and Security

Dual Stage Supplemental Air Bags
Vehicle Security System
Seat Belts w/Pre-Tensioners & Load Limiters
Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System

ENTHUSIAST
6-Speed MT - $28,249
5-Speed AT - $29,219

Includes Standard Equipment Plus:
Xenon 4-Bulb High Intensity Discharge Headlights
Traction Control System (TCS)
Viscous Limited Slip Differential (LSD)
Cruise Control
Homelink Universal Transceiver
Aluminum Pedals
Day/Night Automatic Rear View Mirror
Dual Illuminated Vanity Mirrors

Optional:

5-speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission with Manual Shift Mode

PERFORMANCE
6-Speed MT Only - $30,429

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
18" X 8" 6-Spoke Aluminum-Alloy Wheels
P225/45WR18 Front & P245/45WR18 Rear High Performance Michelin Tires
Tire Air Pressure Monitor
Cruise Control
Aluminum Pedals

TOURING (2 variants)
6-Speed MT - $33,179
5-Speed AT - $31,589

Touring Models w/5-Speed Automatic Transmission:

Bose 7-Speaker 240-watt Audio System w/ In-Dash 6-Disc CD Changer, AM/FM Stereo and Cassette Player
Leather-appointed Seats
Power 4-way Driver’s Seat
Power 2-way Passenger Seat
Heated Seats
Heated Mirrors
Cruise Control
Aluminum Pedals

Touring Models w/6-Speed Manual Transmission Additionally Include:

18" X 8" 6-Spoke Aluminum-Alloy Wheels

TRACK MODEL
6-Speed MT Only - $34,079

Brembo Brakes with 4-Piston Front Calipers, 2-Piston Rear Calipers
Front 12.75" Vented Front Discs and 12.67" Vented Rear Discs
18" X 8" 6-Spoke Super Light Forged-Aluminum Alloy Wheels by Rays
"Zero Lift" Package for high speed stability including:
-Rear Drag Reducing Spoiler
-Front Spoiler
Cruise Control
Aluminum Pedals

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-12-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Automobilist

Yowza! Now that's just what I needed to see, Mic. Thank you.

I doubt we've met, but that's not a bad idea. We moved here from San Diego county in 2013. Wanted a more rural property, and wanted to downsize our house considerably. Found our place here on Sonoma Mountain, and absolutely love it. Built the shop a few months ago, and it's already too small...
I've not raced SCCA much, mostly just the West Coast Road Racing Championships at Buttonwillow. I received a "special award" for the highest lap time in my 1147cc Spitfire one year. Some would say I was the slowest. I say I got the best value for most track time per dollar spent.

We typically race with SVRA, VARA, and now CSRG.

We've always messed around with ancient British cars, but the Z seems like a great sports car, a level up from a Miata (which we've owned a couple and liked).

My neighbor was chief engineer for Porsche North America road racing (Flying Lizard) and of course he recommends a nice 911. Just too much money though, unless I sell a few cars. and the parts / service / etc. can be wickedly expensive. Same with the Boxster. Very fun to drive, but a potentially high repair liability.

Another neighbor just bought a new Lotus. Fun little car, (I used to have a Europa S2) but again, expensive to buy & expensive to own.

Corvette; nice but that's the "bigger hammer" approach, and I prefer something a bit lighter feeling. That said, I am looking for a decent '69-'72 Corvette for the long term collection.

Do you Nissan guys know of Kas Kastner? An old friend, ran the Triumph factory racing department in the '60's. Then Arkay turbos in the '70's. In the late '80's -90's he ran Nissan Racing in Vista. Those neat GTP cars...
Old 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Automobilist
Yowza! Now that's just what I needed to see, Mic. Thank you.

I doubt we've met, but that's not a bad idea. We moved here from San Diego county in 2013. Wanted a more rural property, and wanted to downsize our house considerably. Found our place here on Sonoma Mountain, and absolutely love it. Built the shop a few months ago, and it's already too small...
I've not raced SCCA much, mostly just the West Coast Road Racing Championships at Buttonwillow. I received a "special award" for the highest lap time in my 1147cc Spitfire one year. Some would say I was the slowest. I say I got the best value for most track time per dollar spent.

We typically race with SVRA, VARA, and now CSRG.

We've always messed around with ancient British cars, but the Z seems like a great sports car, a level up from a Miata (which we've owned a couple and liked).

My neighbor was chief engineer for Porsche North America road racing (Flying Lizard) and of course he recommends a nice 911. Just too much money though, unless I sell a few cars. and the parts / service / etc. can be wickedly expensive. Same with the Boxster. Very fun to drive, but a potentially high repair liability.

Another neighbor just bought a new Lotus. Fun little car, (I used to have a Europa S2) but again, expensive to buy & expensive to own.

Corvette; nice but that's the "bigger hammer" approach, and I prefer something a bit lighter feeling. That said, I am looking for a decent '69-'72 Corvette for the long term collection.

Do you Nissan guys know of Kas Kastner? An old friend, ran the Triumph factory racing department in the '60's. Then Arkay turbos in the '70's. In the late '80's -90's he ran Nissan Racing in Vista. Those neat GTP cars...
Kas Kastner? Of course! Legend. I knew of him through the Nissan GTP development period (after I'd left Nissan in '82) but that name resonated with the people I mentioned in my original post.... all of the people running LBCs and most notably, Triumphs. He was a good friend of Bob Tullius (of PRO-level British car racing fame... eg, Jaguar, Triumph, etc.) from what I remember.

And ARKAY, wow, I'm flashing back (and not due to bad acid ). Buddy of mine ran one of the first turbo kits for the Honda CVCC engine, an Arkay, I'm pretty sure. Waaaay back when.

You said, "I received a "special award" for the highest lap time in my 1147cc Spitfire one year. Some would say I was the slowest. I say I got the best value for most track time per dollar spent."

That is perhaps the most awesome thing I've read on this forum! Hahahaha! Seriously, club racing isn't always all about winning (although many, including myself, would love getting wood on a three deck podium. (And no, not like that the rest of you pervs! ) For me, it was all about being on the track and challenging and honing my own skills - with the help of my fellow racers to keep me honest. Laff...

OK, before I ramble about the old days any more... Cheers and good luck with the hunt!

Mic

PS Get off my lawn!