Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Pre-Buy inspection? How can I know if the car has been beat on

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:05 AM
UZ_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pre-Buy inspection? How can I know if the car has been beat on

hey guys! Looking to buy another 350

What are the tell tale signs that the car has been beat on?
I understand that if a car has mods done to it then it was probably raced or at least driven hard or if the car is just in poor condition in general then there was a lack of pride in ownership so other things may have been neglected.

I am OK with buying a car that has an intake, exhaust, etc. (the typical bolt ons).

When I bring the car to the mechanic what should I SPECIFICALLY tell him to look at along with the general pre-buy inspection?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Tochigi_236

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Take it to the Nissan dealership, and spend approx. $100-$150 for an inspection. That should hopefully answer your questions regarding the current state of the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
UZ_ (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,266 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Quick checks... Check the color/smell of fluids. Brake fluid should be clear. Oil can be black, but shouldn't stink, smell like gas, be foamy or leave a gritty feeling on your fingers. Rear tires should have even tread depth all the way across. Put the manual trans in 5th and let out the clutch a bit. Car should want to stall. If not, clutch is toast. Use a scanner to check codes. Check front brake pads. Check lights, windows, locks, a/c, wipers. Check the rear diff cover for a black streak towards the left side. This means the rear diff bushing is blown. These are the quick/easy things you can check on an initial inspection/test drive.

Last edited by i8acobra; 10-04-2015 at 09:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by i8acobra:
350zchad (10-15-2015), UZ_ (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 11:01 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ_
hey guys! Looking to buy another 350

What are the tell tale signs that the car has been beat on?
Ummm, it's a 350Z.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 PM
UZ_

Originally Posted by dcains
Ummm, it's a 350Z.
Good call. I just mean that nothing is on its way out.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:49 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Quick checks... Check the color/smell of fluids. Brake fluid should be clear. Oil can be black, but shouldn't stink, smell like gas, be foamy or leave a gritty feeling on your fingers. Rear tires should have even tread depth all the way across. Put the manual trans in 5th and let out the clutch a bit. Car should want to stall. If not, clutch is toast. Use a scanner to check codes. Check front brake pads. Check lights, windows, locks, a/c, wipers. Check the rear diff cover for a black streak towards the left side. This means the rear diff bushing is blown. These are the quick/easy things you can check on an initial inspection/test drive.

Very good suggestions.. Also your in new jersey so rust will be an issue. Luckily theirs lots of aluminum parts under the z33 but get under their and check out the salt damage. The w brace rusts like a champ, so does the exhaust especially by the flanges. Heat shields fall off... The front subframe under the plastic underbody piece can look ugly... But buying a used car gotta figure out what your willing to live with and pass on. Could find a pristine z33 for a pristine price or a good shape regularly driven car for a normal price.
UZ_ (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM
UZ_

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Very good suggestions.. Also your in new jersey so rust will be an issue. Luckily theirs lots of aluminum parts under the z33 but get under their and check out the salt damage. The w brace rusts like a champ, so does the exhaust especially by the flanges. Heat shields fall off... The front subframe under the plastic underbody piece can look ugly... But buying a used car gotta figure out what your willing to live with and pass on. Could find a pristine z33 for a pristine price or a good shape regularly driven car for a normal price.
Will definitely check out the rust situation. Don't know where the w brace is but I will do some research and find what I need. If it makes any difference I will be putting in the Invidia Gemini exhaust probably within the first week of owning the car so exhaust doesn't really matter but I won't be replacing the cosmetic head shields.

I like what you said there about what I am willing to take. Basically I detail a lot of cars and do general cosmetic and body work. Some scratches, some dents, I can take. I just DO NOT want a car with a blown engine or transmission. I will also upgrade to a stage 2 clutch at some point but if a car with 60 - 70k miles has a clutch that is slipping that will be a tell tale sign of a car that has been beat on and may lead to more problems down the road. I would much rather have a z with 110k highway (light) miles, than a 70k car which has been modded and beat to ****.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2015, 11:02 AM
medic165

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks 8acobra.
Excellent advice. Then i realized u were a Nissan tech.
Good stuff.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ_
I will also upgrade to a stage 2 clutch at some point but if a car with 60 - 70k miles has a clutch that is slipping that will be a tell tale sign of a car that has been beat on and may lead to more problems down the road.
A slipping clutch on a 2007-2009 350Z is common and doesn't necessarily result from driver abuse. It's a known bad design of the factory concentric slave cylinder.
Syner (10-19-2015)