100.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Another one of those "should I get a 350Z" threads

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:57 PM
13esim

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Another one of those "should I get a 350Z" threads

So hi I want to do hghway pulls with my friends will i pull theyre subarus?

Just kidding, I'm Besim, a college student in Utah studying Mechanical Engineering. I currently own a Twin Turbo 300ZX as my daily. I also autocross the car a lot and drive back and forth to California to visit familiy. I've always been debating on going back and forth on selling it to get something newer i.e S2000, 350Z, M3 E46 etc. For various reasons, I've done my searching/lurking on here and I am pretty convinced on some things but in other aspects some threads are from 2005 so I'd like to hear others statements about everything I have taken into account. I am aiming for a 350Z HR, or a Revup if it is a good deal, no DE's. Goals for the car would be fun, reliable daily that I can drive to autocross and California without a doubt in my mind, and also feel safe in the car.

-First fuel economy, as of right now I get 12 MPG city and 25.5 highway, this is driving for fuel economy (City MPG sucks!) I am wondering, and almost certain, that my fuel economy would improve with a 350Z.

-Reliability and maintenance, it seems they are quite reliable and easier to maintain than a 300ZX. Also being an older car a lot of things are going to be deteriorated from the age. Being OBD2 would make it easier to diagnose problems as well. On note of being OBD2, emissions testing would be easier also, it was a pain with my 300ZX.

-Performance, Now I know I am not going to have the power capabilities like my 300ZX does but I never had high power goals anyway. If I had a HR my long term goal would be to hit 300 WHP but power isn't my main concern. It looks like the 350Z has been praised with good handling but how is it at the limit, it looks like the suspension is similar in terms of design and the chassis should be much more rigid. On the flip side all 350Z's who have come to autocross I have beaten; although it seems the drivers weren't very experienced so that is moot data there. Input from people who auto-x and track their 350Z's appreciated.

-Snow, it snows here, this is minor and I am sure the 350Z will do fine. I have driven my 300ZX in the snow before just fine, and everyone thinks I'm insane (just a little). I clean the undercarriage religiously and have kept her rust free.

-Safety, this was something recent that pushed me to sell the car. Recently a kid my age in Phoenix got hit by a drunk driver midday and was killed, the car was crumpled horribly. It got me to start looking at safety ratings and it is much less than a 350Z. On top of that mine is a 1990 and this year came with no airbags at all. What deters me is the rating that the 350Z was rated the highest death per million. So which would be better in that department? I'd be aiming for a model that had the side airbags, I know it might not make the difference between life vs. death but it could definitely be the difference between brain damage and a slight concussion.

-Something I know I will lose out on is a classic car that is going up in value. The car turns head and always starts conversations between many. It is also in good condition for its age.

I'm sure there are people on here who have owned both or currently do have each, any input would be appreciated, having a meaningful, intelligent discussion about the topic is what I am looking for. Thank you everyone

Last edited by 13esim; 12-02-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

-First fuel economy, as of right now I get 12 MPG city and 25.5 highway, this is driving for fuel economy (City MPG sucks!) I am wondering, and almost certain, that my fuel economy would improve with a 350Z.

I can get 20 city 28 highway with relatively nice driving and more aggressive driving in the city will push it down to 18 MPG. This is with an 07 Auto

-Reliability and maintenance, it seems they are quite reliable and easier to maintain than a 300ZX. Also being an older car a lot of things are going to be deteriorated from the age. Being OBD2 would make it easier to diagnose problems as well. On note of being OBD2, emissions testing would be easier also, it was a pain with my 300ZX.

They seem reliable if well cared for but window motors, diff bushings, and hatch struts are the most common. The two big things to look out for are Revups are known for burning oil and the HR have bad slave cylinders.

-Performance, Now I know I am not going to have the power capabilities like my 300ZX does but I never had high power goals anyway. If I had a HR my long term goal would be to hit 300 WHP but power isn't my main concern. It looks like the 350Z has been praised with good handling but how is it at the limit, it looks like the suspension is similar in terms of design and the chassis should be much more rigid. On the flip side all 350Z's who have come to autocross I have beaten; although it seems the drivers weren't very experienced so that is moot data there. Input from people who auto-x and track their 350Z's appreciated.

Sorry no experience here

-Snow, it snows here, this is minor and I am sure the 350Z will do fine. I have driven my 300ZX in the snow before just fine, and everyone thinks I'm insane (just a little). I clean the undercarriage religiously and have kept her rust free.

Two things, snow tires help it and would be recommended depending on how much snow you get, and the short wheel base does make it easer to end up backwards on ice or slick surfaces

-Safety, this was something recent that pushed me to sell the car. Recently a kid my age in Phoenix got hit by a drunk driver midday and was killed, the car was crumpled horribly. It got me to start looking at safety ratings and it is much less than a 350Z. On top of that mine is a 1990 and this year came with no airbags at all. What deters me is the rating that the 350Z was rated the highest death per million. So which would be better in that department? I'd be aiming for a model that had the side airbags, I know it might not make the difference between life vs. death but it could definitely be the difference between brain damage and a slight concussion.

Personally I think the high death count in 350Zs is more related to the drivers than the car

-Something I know I will lose out on is a classic car that is going up in value. The car turns head and always starts conversations between many. It is also in good condition for its age.

If you can afford it you could always keep it and get a less expensive daly driver?
The following users liked this post:
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

300ZX TTs are great cars. A close friend and neighbor of mine has a 94 Z32TT. His has over 200k on the dial and original Turbos are still running great with no shaft play. I attribute this to his religious oil changes and use of 5W-50.

With that being said, many parts for the 300Zs are getting harder to come by, some of them aren't even sold anymore by Nissan. The cars are difficult to work on and finding a knowledgeable & honest mechanic for them is also becoming difficult.

My buddy has just spent a ton of cash and many hours of his own time refreshing the tired suspension and bushings on his Z32 (Particularly the rear subframe which is a total pain).

Even so, his Z32TT has been a very reliable daily driver. Passing smog can be difficult if it's a high mileage Z32 using the original cats.

I think Fuel Economy will be roughly the same and safety with 350Zs is not bad. I believe rancor is correct in that much of the fatalities occurring with 350Zs is due to the driver. Now that 350Zs are so much cheaper, many young and inexperienced drivers are getting behind the wheel. Even stock a 350Z puts down good power and can easily get you in trouble if you're not prepared.

If I were you, I would keep your Z32TT as their values are increasing if the condition is good to excellent. They are harder and harder to find in unmolested good shape.

I have an 06 RevUp 350Z, it does consume some oil between changes, but not all 06s have this issue, in fact I think the majority are perfectly fine. If you can find an 06 without any oil eating problems I would actually recommend it over the HR because of weak slave cylinder (located inside the bell housing vs. outside on 03-06) issue on those transmissions. I've had my 06 350Z for 5 years now and it's been an excellent daily driver with no major problems. The car is aging as expected with some exterior rubber starting to get sun baked. But my paint still looks amazing thanks to washing/waxing.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter. Do what makes the most sense to you
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 04:10 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I would say keep your Z32 and find a daily driver economy safety box. The value of the z32 will only go up and the value of the 07-08 z33 will only go down... However after 25 years and whatever mileage the daily driver duty should be given up.

That all being said if I was in college I would be thinking 370z to attract the most tail.
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 04:53 AM
lifekenophobic

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Rancor is pretty much spot on with his responses, but I'll chime in as well. I also came from a Z32TT, and now own an '08 HR. I love both cars for different reasons, but honestly prefer the 350 overall. You'll find it much easier to work on than the 300, but the engine bay is still a bit cramped.

I also get about 20-21 mpg city, and roughly 26-28 on the highway.

I've had my Z for almost 3 years now, and it hasn't had 1 issue. I also maintain it religiously, which is always an important factor. (Actually, I did just recently get the 2,000 rpm warm up stutter/hesitation, but that should be a pretty straightforward fix. Fuel dampers I believe.)

I think you'll find the power to be quite similar, but the turbos do give you a little extra oomph in the mid to top-end range. Still, it's nice putting down almost identical horsepower being n/a. The HR motors are also very rev-friendly. They really let you stretch the gears out, which makes for a satisfying drive.

Being in Florida, I have no experience with snow driving. From what I understand, it's not the most recommended thing in a Z. Getting a model with traction control, and also having snow tires will help here.

As mentioned before, the high death count in 350z's mainly comes from drivers who underestimate the power of the car. Stock suspension and open differentials also leave a lot of room for overconfident drivers, who find out there is a lot of room for improvement before pushing the car hard.

The 350z is in that unfortunate time period where they're becoming cheaper, which also means there are people buying them who don't fully appreciate the car for what it is. In the next 10 years or so, the 350 will be in the same spot the 300 is currently in. There will be less and less clean, well-maintained examples, and the value will rise again on them slightly. (I don't think the 350 will ever be a collector's car by any means, but eventually they will be more of a rare sight, as the 300 currently is.) I have no plans of selling mine, so it's a moot point for me.
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:17 AM
VenomGT9

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

This may be a biased answer but why not search for a G35X or if you can afford it, a G37X (coupe or sedan). Still in the Nissan fam, vast majority of the parts are the same, and won't have a hard time finding them.
If not, there's always Audi Love my Quattro.
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:22 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I've owned a z32TT for a short while, they're great cars.
I've also owned my z33 for over 11 years now, it's the best car I've ever owned/driven IMO.
I don't always drive my z to and from work, my commute is 50 miles to work/back, I try to keep the miles off of it, in the morning without traffic I average 27-28MPG, that is keeping it under 3k RPM though, in the evenings, I encounter a lot of stop and go traffic, I can still manage to get 24MPG as long as I keep it below 3k RPM.
In over 11 years, nothing sans the passenger side door handle and the hatch struts has broken, I've completed every scheduled maintenance and oil change on time and it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned.
As far as performance goes, it's IMO the best sports car for the money, it could best a base 911 when it was released all while costing $40,000 less, I've driven many sports cars and I can't get as much excitement as I do with my z except in C5/C6 Corvettes, 911s, Vipers, etc...
I've never driven the z in snow but I have driven the Tail of the Dragon when it was covered in ice, the z did just fine and people go off the road there in the summer.
It's a safe car, Nissan put a lot of work into the z33, I've never been in a collision in my z(knock on wood) but I have no doubt it would protect me.
Get a z33 and keep your z32, there isn't a reason to get rid of your z32, it's only going to appreciate over time.
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 07:37 AM
13esim

Thanks guys for all the replies.

If I could keep both a Z33 and Z32 I would, or even get an econo-box. I'd like to only keep one car until I graduate though. Being a college student all my extra money goes to car stuff and fun. I feel with the Z32 I'm always fixing old things or needing to upgrade it to get it to my goals of a daily/autox car. Having two cars would be a bit difficult with limited funds like paying for insurance registration for both etc. Also being a college student I move around a lot from dorms to different apartments etc. I feel that would make having two cars more difficult also.

I feel with the Z32 I'm always fixing old things or needing to upgrade it to get it to my goals of a daily/autox car. I feel it would be cheaper/easier with a 350Z. (more worry free as well so i can spend more brain effort on school.) Also, driving to California piles up about 2000 miles back and forth.

I didn't consider the Revup as much because I feel like I would be missing out by not getting a HR. The oil burning issue doesn't concern me too much since my Z32 spits oil through the PCV ports on high G corners (It is REALLY bad on all 300ZX's, plumes of smoke) So I am quite religious on checking my oil and maintenance. I knew the HR had weak slave cylinders but inside the bell housing, yuck, but it doesn't look too bad to pull the transmission compared to my 300ZX, I mean it looks like I can actually fit my hands back there rather than have a combination of extensions and universal joints. I'm also a sucker for higher revving engines.

I know I will miss out on the turbo fun but when I am racing it, the lag kills me, there are a lot of times where I am exiting a corner waiting for the car to spool into its powerband, I've learned to start early and try to get the turbos spooling mid corner so that its available at corner exit. still it feels I get too much than what I wanted no matter how much throttle control I have. I feel with a NA motor it will be more efficient at translating what my foot wanted to be put to the ground. Also the sound the Z33 has with a good exhaust is intoxicating IMO.

Safety wise I think it is safe to say I'm experienced, but you can't control what someone else does sometimes. I feel lately drivers are getting worse and worse. Utah drivers are horrible, I thought California was bad.

With my Z32 gaining value I will probably kick myself in the future for selling when it is worth $20k for example, but then again I heard Mechanical Engineering pays good. Anyway if I get a 350Z I am not into it for the value, if I get one I plan to keep it for a very very long time, Anyway I'm sure in 2030 the 350Z's value will follow in suite with the 300ZX.

You guys are very helpful with helping me brainstorm a decision. Thanks guys.
bith8791 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 08:16 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Late opinion.....

Having owned (in last five years only, not including my S30 Gen 1 days ) a Z32 NA, two Z33s (current), and a Z34N, I feel that of the three generations, I like the look of Z32 more than the newer ones and I really loved the Z34N for it's newness (leased it new) and everything that comes with owning a Carp Nismo.

However.... the Z33, generationally in the middle is, IMO, the best platform. It isn't quite so raw as to give you pain in the backside yet holds it own out in the environment and gives - what I consider - the most "connected" feel to the actual conditions surrounding me and the car. It's like I'm "wearing" the car. Or to further cliche you all to death, it's like I am an integral part of the car.

That all said however, I would recommend, based on my own college experience, keeping the Z32 at least until you graduate and start working and THEN make an intelligent decision (keep 'em both! ) when you CAN afford to have choices that aren't AS dependent upon finances.

I can feel the devaluation of my $.02 already....

Mic
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I forgot you were in college, keep the z32 for now until you graduate and become stable.
I'm actually about to begin going back to school myself, I'll be driving my z33 another 11 years probably, LOL, then it's time to get a 911.
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM
13esim

I'm leaning towards 350Z as of right now. I really also want something I can drive and not have to work on. Obviously I would keep up on maintenance but thats simple. I feel with the 300ZX I have to continuously work on it to keep it up to my standards. One factor I left out is my 300ZX has 175k miles on it now. I have piled them on.

So I think the question left is Revup or HR. If I ended up getting a Revup would I feel like I am missing out on an HR model? Long term, my power goals would be to get close to 300 WHP without cracking open internals. The only con I can think of for the HR is the weak slave cylinder, and the rest are all pros. Any feedback from anyone in this aspect of the two different engines?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

HR is life. HR is powa. Praise be to the HR gods.

Lol just kidding, but seriously an HR will probably be your best bet. We respond really well to N/A bolt-ons, and reaching 300rwhp is 'relatively' easy if you know what you're doing and definitely take the time to carefully research what parts you're going to buy in order to accomplish this. The only area we have a major disadvantage over the other years is the cost required to actually boost. Sometimes I'm jealous that a DE can spend the same amount of money I already have and be twice the power...It's pretty ridiculous, but if you're staying N/A definitely go the HR route.

Also, I would really consider getting a 'Nismo' model if it fits within your budget. I wish I had gone with one after knowing what I plan on doing exterior-wise to my base model Z.
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:32 AM
Depravity

And chances are the previous owner of your HR had the slave recall performed at the Nissan dealership. The guy who owned my car had this done, so hopefully it stays working. Bought it @ 23k miles and am currently sitting at 50k with no problems. At the same time, I'm not doing burnouts/donuts/track days/ etc.

There are a few options you can get to reduce the risk of a failing slave cylinder. There's the RJM pedal assembly, and a kit from Z1motorsports to look into
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 AM
13esim

Awesome, yea I'm not crazy about making power but it would be cool to be right around 300WHP like my Z32 but NA. I lived the turbo life but I am a sucker for NA. Maybe after I graduate I'll consider forced induction if I really wanted more power.

I think before I look at certain models I will get the VIN and contact the Nissan dealership for service history. Were the recalled slave cylinders more durable?
Old 12-04-2015, 12:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 13esim
Awesome, yea I'm not crazy about making power but it would be cool to be right around 300WHP like my Z32 but NA. I lived the turbo life but I am a sucker for NA. Maybe after I graduate I'll consider forced induction if I really wanted more power.

I think before I look at certain models I will get the VIN and contact the Nissan dealership for service history. Were the recalled slave cylinders more durable?
The OEM slave cylinders, even the "newer design" are known - or at least reputed - to be flawed.

The generally accepted "permanent" fix for this is the replacement CSC (concentric slave cylinder) by Z Speed Performance. (They are a vendor here but every Z shop/store sells this unit because it IS the standard that Nissan should have built from the start.)

The ZSP CSC "requires" a new clutch master (or at least it's MOST recommended) as well. Forum is equally split between OEM and aftermarket (Tilton or Wilwood) hydraulics. My shop, Z Car Garage, recommends saving the money by going OEM as performance is the same.

Mic
13esim (12-04-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM
13esim

So I sold my 300ZX today, a bit bittersweet but its gone.

So I'm looking at Revups and HR's. It seems the Revups are more affordable with some HR's being within my price range.

Now would there be any benefits the Revup would have over the HR, other than cost and that it has a normal slave cylinder, are there any other benefits the Revup has over the HR? I'm still going to shoot for a HR bit just in case...
Old 12-17-2015, 03:29 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Turbo kits for the pre-HR are more available and cost way less

Other then that your stuck with the ugly front end and less Revs. I'm bias though
13esim (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:20 AM
13esim

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
Turbo kits for the pre-HR are more available and cost way less

Other then that your stuck with the ugly front end and less Revs. I'm bias though
Damn I plan on staying NA, just like NA better, especially for these cars. Okay the search continues. Thanks
Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Depravity

Originally Posted by 13esim
Damn I plan on staying NA, just like NA better, especially for these cars. Okay the search continues. Thanks
If you're absolutely SET on N/A, go with the HR. Keep searching, it will be well worth it I promise.

Who knows, maybe one day these vendors will liquidate the HR boost kits since they're not selling like crazy and we can score them for a reasonable amount of money
Old 12-18-2015, 05:53 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

A year and eighteen days into ownership of a 2008 HR.

Although a lot of Rev-ups are not plagued with the oil burning issue- the chance of getting one scared me enough not to consider it considering the price for an HR is only marginally more expensive.

I knew I might have issues with the slave cylinder but decided to take my chances on a 36k mile (at the time) clean and well documented HR.

At 39k the clutch pedal would intermittently not return- a couple hundred miles later the clutch started slipping. (leaking into bellhousing contaminating friction surface)

Oh joy.

Went ahead and spent the dough to do it right and replace everything. An unnecessary elective upgrade on the clutch kit and flywheel, but more importantly the Zspeed CSC/Wilwood CMC setup.

It wasn't all that fun at the time- but now that it's done I don't regret it a bit. Car feels super solid, revs like a banshee, and I know I'll likely have thousands and thousands of trouble free miles ahead. That's just my experience, perhaps you'll get lucky and not have to mess with the slave for while or find a deal where it's already been addressed.

I couldn't get into another car that consumes oil after my old Maxima. (02-03 VQ35's are VERY thirsty).

Last edited by n0smoke; 12-18-2015 at 05:54 PM.
13esim (12-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Another one of those "should I get a 350Z" threads