Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Should I Run From This Nismo?

Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Jamie73

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I Run From This Nismo?

Looking at an 08 Nismo with mods. Car is clean, clean. All work done on the car looks top notch and it runs great. Some of the mods, are Stage 1 GTM supercharger, Greddy RS true dual exhaust, 600cc injectors, Spec STG 3 clutch and several more. Car has 57000 miles on it, mods have 25000 miles on them. I guess what worries me, never owned a car with a supercharger, is, am I in for lots of problems, or will the reliability be pretty sound?
Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie73
Looking at an 08 Nismo with mods. Car is clean, clean. All work done on the car looks top notch and it runs great. Some of the mods, are Stage 1 GTM supercharger, Greddy RS true dual exhaust, 600cc injectors, Spec STG 3 clutch and several more. Car has 57000 miles on it, mods have 25000 miles on them. I guess what worries me, never owned a car with a supercharger, is, am I in for lots of problems, or will the reliability be pretty sound?
Open ended question of the week.

There is NO WAY anyone here can tell you yay/nay without putting hands on the car.

If the car was done/driven right, then a s/c isn't anything more to be concerned about than any other component as it's a mechanical piece just like anything else.

However... driven hard/put away wet, bad maintenance schedule or otherwise shoddy work.... mehhhh.

Only way to really tell is to do or have a thorough inspection done - and not just a visual but a true diagnostic with leak down, compression, oil analysis, etc. done to it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a modded Nismo unless I didn't care about the Nismo Z's provenance and the price was "right", whatever threshold that may be.

I do care so no go.

My dos-centavos. YMMV.

Mic
Old 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Agree with m8c...as always....

However i will add, alot of times, the dale price will reflect how well built it is. Bot alwayd true, but its a good indication. If its price higher thsn normal, chances are the owner fid the work right.

If its price below normal nismo, chances are youre buying someone else's headaches.

Personally, i wouldnt buy a modded cars. Building them is half the fun, and when a problem arises, youll know what parts you put it and diagnosing it isnt as complicated

My buddy bought a built mustang gt, hes been on a while goose chase for the last 3 months. More problem than its worty.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Jamie73

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open ended question for sure. And yes, too many questions about the car that cannot be answered. I have bought and sold enough bikes and cars to know that this Nismo has been well kept. But the problem is what does the inside of the motor look like. So yes, great idea from MicVelo, to have a motor diagnostic done. I currently have an 04 with only 30,000 miles on it that I plan on doing mods to, but it sure is tempting to buy one already done.