Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Advice on my upcoming purchase.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:19 PM
DimitriosZman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my upcoming purchase.

I am back in the market for another 350z after being gone from the scene for some time. Please take a look at these 2 vehicles and provide me with feedback on which of the 2 look better to you. Both drive great and I am getting discounts on both. The 2008 I am getting for 11k if I get it and the 2003 I am getting for 6.9k. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

http://www.eliteautoorlando.com/2003...3/Details.aspx

http://www.worldautosinc.com/2008-Ni...4/Details.aspx

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by DimitriosZman
I am back in the market for another 350z after being gone from the scene for some time. Please take a look at these 2 vehicles and provide me with feedback on which of the 2 look better to you. Both drive great and I am getting discounts on both. The 2008 I am getting for 11k if I get it and the 2003 I am getting for 6.9k. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

http://www.eliteautoorlando.com/2003...3/Details.aspx

http://www.worldautosinc.com/2008-Ni...4/Details.aspx

Thanks for the help guys.
Both appear to be pretty clean but I'd opt for the '08 simply for the motor and half the mileage. Sure, it costs more but if you break it down, it's pretty much the same price per mile. Less chance of the '08 needing immediate work (even PM) as well.

My $.02....
Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're planning on modding keep in mind the 03 has more options and it's cheaper to build. If you're not, or have a larger budget, the 08 all the way.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:22 PM
DimitriosZman

How about the fact that the 03 is a touring with the limited slip and the 08 is a base. Should that effect my decision at all? Also the 03 is completely stock. I do definitely want that hr motor though as it seems from my homework on the site it is faster than a bolt on de motor.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:42 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,043 Likes on 6,509 Posts

stock vlsd sucks moldy donkey *****
Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Unicus

How about the fact that the 03 is a touring with the limited slip and the 08 is a base. Should that effect my decision at all? Also the 03 is completely stock. I do definitely want that hr motor though as it seems from my homework on the site it is faster than a bolt on de motor.
HR is faster from the factory, lacks a few typical DE issues, and will be faster with the same mod quality. The DE is cheaper to mod and will usually have more miles. If it's not stock, typical ebay parts from someone who should have bought a civic instead.

The fact that you're asking about differentials as a buying point means you plan on drifting immediately, so I'm going to recommend the DE. Either you're a kid that thinks drifting in town is cool or you're a professional who will be swapping a LOT of parts, working on the engine properly and going through tires for days. Either case, DE.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:46 PM
travlee
Master

buy the hr, then fix the oxidation on the headlights, install quaife...... love life
Old 07-26-2016, 05:10 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Not sure I'd pay $11k for an '08 that beat up and with such ugly-*** wheels.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:12 PM
travlee
Master

i sold mine, ton of mods, comparable mileage... $14200. although that was a buddy price (and almost 2 years ago)
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 AM
DimitriosZman

I am not a big fan of the wheels on the 08 either but that is easily changeable. I also dont like the grill. In response to Unicus, I will not be drifting or be a drifter. I was mentioning it as a price for the equipment I am getting standpoint. I will hit the 1/4 mile track on a few weekends and perhaps the occasional autocross for fun but nothing much more. This is not going to be my daily driver. This is a "fun for me car". I am 32 and am not looking to terrorize public streets (well maybe sometimes). I basically want a platform that I can street drive and get a bunch of power out of. I am not necessarily looking for a budget build. I also though do not want a funny car drag racer. Thank you for all of the responses though.

Dcains, do u really think the 08 looks beat up in the pics? It looked super clean to me when I went to see it other then the trim having scratches. But from what I understand this is quite common right? Any fixes for the trim other than replacing everything?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:43 AM
travlee
Master

I am not a big fan of the wheels on the 08 either but that is easily changeable. I also dont like the grill. In response to Unicus, I will not be drifting or be a drifter. I was mentioning it as a price for the equipment I am getting standpoint. I will hit the 1/4 mile track on a few weekends and perhaps the occasional autocross for fun but nothing much more. This is not going to be my daily driver. This is a "fun for me car". I am 32 and am not looking to terrorize public streets (well maybe sometimes). I basically want a platform that I can street drive and get a bunch of power out of. I am not necessarily looking for a budget build. I also though do not want a funny car drag racer. Thank you for all of the responses though.

Dcains, do u really think the 08 looks beat up in the pics? It looked super clean to me when I went to see it other then the trim having scratches. But from what I understand this is quite common right? Any fixes for the trim other than replacing everything?
you will be heartbroken if you think you are going to get a bunch of power out of this car. even with the hr, you will still prob be sub 300 whp and spend alot of money doing so

you can paint or replace the trim pieces, when i replaced my door handles with new oem, they didnt have the same rubbery stuff on them
Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 AM
DimitriosZman

I am not looking for anything crazy. 400-450hp range will make me happy and I will be boosting in about a year. I know the DE is a lot cheaper to get there it seems but the HR is the HR and will probably make me happy until I get there. Is Greddy the way to go for HR turbo kits or are there other viable(not crap) options?

Travlee, where did you get your trim pieces from? Directly from Nissan?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:52 AM
travlee
Master

I am not looking for anything crazy. 400-450hp range will make me happy and I will be boosting in about a year. I know the DE is a lot cheaper to get there it seems but the HR is the HR and will probably make me happy until I get there. Is Greddy the way to go for HR turbo kits or are there other viable(not crap) options?

Travlee, where did you get your trim pieces from? Directly from Nissan?
look into FI stuff for the hr.... there are very few options and they are pretty damn expensive

i got the trim pieces from concept z, you could also get them from courtesyparts.com
Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM
Unicus

Yeah, the interior's been hit a good bit on the HR, but that's not the only problem. How well someone takes care of their interior is a good indication of how well the car has been looked after. With that amount of scratching and dirt/dust I would guess they didn't properly take care of the engine either. It's up to you either way. Are you super pressed to buy now? Some really nice Z's pop up on the forums every few months.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:01 AM
dcains

That's what I was also thinking. And, anyone who would buy those wheels and install that grille . . .

The '03 really looks nice, and original, which is what I like in a used car, but it's an '03, and the HR cars are just so much better, IMO.

OP, if this isn't going to be your primary car (which you mentioned), be patient and keep looking - they're out there.

I won't get into the whole issue of FI on a Z. Just too much of a headache and $$$ as far as I'm concerned. Easier to pick another car if you want big HP.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:58 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 440 Likes on 356 Posts

I am not looking for anything crazy. 400-450hp range will make me happy and I will be boosting in about a year.
Quoted for 07/27/2017 boost update
Old 07-27-2016, 01:50 PM
DimitriosZman

You gotta let me buy it first. I am going this weekend. The reason I am going to buy now is that it seems like in Orlando mid summer has the lowest prices. These same cars were about 4-5k more expensive about 3-4 months ago because of tax season. If I wait to long then prices will start to go up again as holidays approach.

As for the turbo, gimme a year from date of purchase. It will probably be sooner but just to be safe.

I am having difficulties finding HR Z's in decent shape. I like buying from a dealer because they come with warranties. Although it is only 3 months it gives me piece of mind that i am not buying junk from the get go. That's what worries me with private sales. Even with a mechanic checking you can never be 100% sure. If nothing breaks in 3 months than I know the car was a decent buy and I am willing to fix whatever comes along down the line as I will be controlling PM and regular repairs moving forward.

I do like the 03 because it is stock.The 131k miles only slightly worries me. My price range I am willing to go up until unfortunately does not open the door for to many HR cars. I do not need an HR car, as any 350z will be tons of fun.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM
DimitriosZman

And as an afterthought, there are TONS of automatics here that are cheap and super clean, the manuals are the ones that are all dogged out......but I would assume no one would recommend getting the auto as a "fun ride".
Old 07-27-2016, 02:43 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

And as an afterthought, there are TONS of automatics here that are cheap and super clean, the manuals are the ones that are all dogged out......but I would assume no one would recommend getting the auto as a "fun ride".
If the thought even crossed your mind get the auto. Manuals aren't for everyone and if you can't decipher the fun factor between an auto or manual, auto is right for you.

I hate driving auto unless its an SUV for cruising or family hauler vehicle. My own personal fun cars have to be manual.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM
dcains

I'm not sure those any warranty from a used car lot is worth a damn, but I've been wrong before. I'd much rather buy from a private party, as I can see the kind of person the owner is and get a feel for how the car was driven and maintained.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on my upcoming purchase.