Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Anyone pay less then MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 03:13 AM
anthony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone pay less then MSRP?

I paid MSRP. My car will be in Mid to late Aug.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:03 AM
wxtornado

I just ordered mine today from Sheehy in Annapolis aslo - $200 under MSRP. I take delivery sometime in late September. I have a strange feeling time is gonna go real slow till then..........
Old 06-08-2002, 05:47 AM
2003z

I got mine for $1000 under at a small dealership, but they added their 279 bs processing fee, so its only 721 under.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:10 AM
dvlad

i got mine for about $500 under MSRP plus free wheel locks and floor mats. If any of theose really matter.

wxtornado....yeah, it does go by pretty slow, but this site with all the members makes it more enjoyable
Old 06-08-2002, 08:07 AM
jrreed350togo

It's nice to see some other members from MD on this site. I do have to tell you though, If your dealer told you that you would get your car in September and you just ordered it today....I won't say it.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:14 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would assume that you are referring to the interest rate on the loan. If you can get 1.9% I'd say go for it.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:25 AM
JamieH

Default Low Financing

Special low financing rates rarely apply to "cool" cars like the 350Z. Usually low financing rates are only done by dealerships that are looking to move extra cars, for whatever reason. They almost never give you these rates on a car as popular as the 350Z.

As for MSRP, I'm noticing an interesting trend. I keep hearing all these stories of dealers charging way above MSRP, but I have contacted a ton of dealers around me and they all say they are selling at MSRP. They make sure to point out what a great deal this is, and how "all the other dealers" are charging more than MSRP.

Sounds pretty interesting to me. If every dealer claims the other dealers are charging more than MSRP, then people are more than happy to get a "deal" and pay MSRP for the car. Not that I would EVER accuse car dealerships of being dishonest.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:44 PM
TalonZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid WAY under sticker price for my Track model.

My company is considered a vendor by Nissan, so NNA gives us discounts on Nissan and Infiniti vehicles. When I initially visited the local Nissan dealership, they informed me they couldn't honor the discount. I was disappointed, but that's life.

I waited a few days and was preparing to go order the vehicle for MSRP. I called the dealership to make sure the sales person to whom I had initially spoken was going to be there. When he answered the telephone, he said, "Hey! Good news! Nissan is accepting the vendor discounts now."

I shot over there and ordered my vehicle, getting a HUGE discount. It's the only time in my life when I've accepted a dealership's first offer!

When I received my confirmation letter, they had misspelled my name. I returned to my dealer to get it corrected.

When I walked in, they acted kind of sheepish. That's when the sales manager said that the local area Nissan sales rep' had misinformed the dealership of the discount. Nissan was NOT accepting the vendor discount, but since I had a signed and sealed sales invoice, the dealer had to honor it.

My only concern is that the dealership will do something to try to make me back out. It ain't happenin'!

To the dealership's credit, they have been nothing but kind to me, even before I ordered the vehicle. I'm not expecting any difficulty.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Jill

Wow, good for you TalonZ.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:19 AM
JamieH

Default Dealer "add-ons"

Have you completed financing terms with the dealership Talon? Be wary--when you sign the final terms they will most likely try to get you into a high % finance, or a big extended warranty or something to make up the lost cash on their screw up.

I can get Ford cars on a discount due to family members working there, but when I checked in the SVT Mustang Cobra, most dealers wouldn't honor the discount. Getting discounts on hot sports cars is a rarity, so you should feel quite lucky!
Old 06-09-2002, 02:10 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

For all you posters above that feel you got less than MSRP. Remember, if you had to pay a dealer processing fee, or an advertising fee, or a dealer prep charge, or a paint protection package or any of the other similarly named and equally worthless charges, you didn't REALLY get MSRP. I know I didn't.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:36 AM
dvlad

the only thing that shocked me was the damn taxes. $3000+ worth of state taxes and title. Ouch.

Dr. Bonz has a good point. I didn't have anything added on like that. Just a 375 delivery fee. it still came under MSRP.
Old 06-09-2002, 02:40 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Paid a little under a 1000 below MSRP... and confirmed at that price... ordered from small market town...
Old 06-09-2002, 06:30 AM
TalonZ

I appreciate your kind words and advice. I KNOW how lucky I got. I won't believe my good fortune until the Z is sitting in my driveway. Dealerships aren't used to raiding their own wallets.

However, I am car savvy enough to know that dealerships have a huge amount of mark-up between the dealer's true vehicle cost and MSRP. The dealership that made the mistake is still making money; they're just not making as much as they would like on a "hot" property.

Incidentally, as a rule of thumb, every dealership with which I have dealt for "plain vanilla" automobiles is happy to take a two or three percent mark-up over their cost. The only problem is, most consumers won't take the time to research Edmunds or one of the other publications to determine the dealer's cost. Consequently, the consumer doesn't know how much to pay for the vehicle they want. In that situation, the dealership holds the winning hand.

And hey, I always want the dealership to make money. They're in business just like the rest of us. I think the only complaint most consumers have with car dealers is feeling like they have been told lies by the dealer.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:35 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I was more then happy to pay MSRP with no money down.