Go Back   MY350Z.COM Forums > 350Z Tech Area > Maintenance & Repair > Cleaning & Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to my350z.com!
Welcome to my350z.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
jonnylaw
Registered User

 
jonnylaw's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Meifumado
Posts: 1,957
Default How to clean/polish titanium exhaust

So I've used just soap and water on my Amuse titanium exhaust, but after my car being in the shop for over a month and a lack of washing, my exhaust tips have water spots and some minor surface scratches (not on the blue gradation), which I am looking to fix.

I have tried some mother's mag polish, but am searching for other polishes/cleaners that might be of better use for titanium.

Some products I am considering are:

Luster Lace: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...olulacopa.html

P21S polishing soap: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/p2poso2.html

Eagle One Never Dull: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/nevrdull.html

Wenol: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/wemepo2.html

Any thoughts/suggestions?
__________________
"I hate haters"

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-27-2009 at 06:02 PM.
jonnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

 
Mike Wazowski's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (113)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Diego 92111
Posts: 22,113
Points: 102,342, Level: 100
Points: 102,342, Level: 100 Points: 102,342, Level: 100 Points: 102,342, Level: 100
Today's Activity: 0%
Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylaw View Post
So I've used just soap and water on my Amuse titanium exhaust, but after my car being in the shop for over a month and a lack of washing, my exhaust tips have water spots and some minor surface scratches (not on the blue gradation), which I am looking to fix.

I have tried some mother's mag polish, but am searching for other polishes/cleaners that might be of better use for titanium.

Some products I am considering are:

Luster Lace: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...olulacopa.html

P21S polishing soap: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/p2poso2.html

Eagle One Never Dull: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/nevrdull.html

Any thoughts/suggestions?
I used Eagle one Never Dull on my Greddy Ti-C and never had any issues with it. Simple to use and great results
__________________
2004 Honda CBR 600RR current
2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom current
2009 Subaru WRX - current
2011 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 current
1975 Datsun Fairlady Z RHD Project
2004.5 Nissan 350Z (gone, but not forgotten)
2008.5 Nissan Titan(Goodbye my monster truck)
Mike Wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
 
Cux350z's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (161)
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 10,468
Points: 8,816, Level: 63
Points: 8,816, Level: 63 Points: 8,816, Level: 63 Points: 8,816, Level: 63
Today's Activity: 8.9%
Today's Activity: 8.9% Today's Activity: 8.9% Today's Activity: 8.9%
Default

i used to claybar mine. worked well.
Cux350z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
jonnylaw
Registered User

 
jonnylaw's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Meifumado
Posts: 1,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z View Post
I used Eagle one Never Dull on my Greddy Ti-C and never had any issues with it. Simple to use and great results
Good to know, this is one of the more affordable and readily avilable polishes. Did you use it on the blue gradated areas of the exhaust tip, in addition to the plain titanium parts? If so, there was no ill effects to the gradation?

Thx!
__________________
"I hate haters"
jonnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
oddjobbb
Registered User

 
oddjobbb's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (4)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: papillion neb.
Posts: 291
Points: 2,706, Level: 31
Points: 2,706, Level: 31 Points: 2,706, Level: 31 Points: 2,706, Level: 31
Today's Activity: 0%
Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0%
Default

i use never dull on my HKS titanium tips and the rest of the exhaust it works great especially on water spots.
oddjobbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

 
Mike Wazowski's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (113)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Diego 92111
Posts: 22,113
Points: 102,342, Level: 100
Points: 102,342, Level: 100 Points: 102,342, Level: 100 Points: 102,342, Level: 100
Today's Activity: 0%
Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0%
Default

used it on the whole exhaust, no problems with it.
__________________
2004 Honda CBR 600RR current
2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom current
2009 Subaru WRX - current
2011 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 current
1975 Datsun Fairlady Z RHD Project
2004.5 Nissan 350Z (gone, but not forgotten)
2008.5 Nissan Titan(Goodbye my monster truck)
Mike Wazowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
freedonutss
Registered User

 
Trader Score: (14)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 944
Points: 2,882, Level: 32
Points: 2,882, Level: 32 Points: 2,882, Level: 32 Points: 2,882, Level: 32
Today's Activity: 0%
Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0%
Default

Optimum metal polish works well for me
__________________
New Setup: 08 Enthusiast 6MT | Axis | Tanabe | SPC
freedonutss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
350ZTheStandard
Registered User
 
350ZTheStandard's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (4)
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NEW AMERICA
Posts: 8,984
Points: 4,959, Level: 45
Points: 4,959, Level: 45 Points: 4,959, Level: 45 Points: 4,959, Level: 45
Today's Activity: 13.1%
Today's Activity: 13.1% Today's Activity: 13.1% Today's Activity: 13.1%
Default

I like Chemical Guys Metal Shine, easy to apply and the shine is a wiNNer.
__________________
chewwwy momma, hot diggety & shazam, be manly & have a good day.
350ZTheStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
blue350zed
Professional
 
blue350zed's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (14)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenwell Springs, Weeziana
Posts: 1,238
Chad Hildebrand
Points: 3,851, Level: 39
Points: 3,851, Level: 39 Points: 3,851, Level: 39 Points: 3,851, Level: 39
Today's Activity: 2.5%
Today's Activity: 2.5% Today's Activity: 2.5% Today's Activity: 2.5%
Default

Great thread. A shop totally F'd my HKS tips fixing a scratch in my door. Going to look for one of the products above right now.
__________________
2007 Base HR- 3.8 liters/GT3071R's/15psi/650whp
blue350zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
jonnylaw
Registered User

 
jonnylaw's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Meifumado
Posts: 1,957
Default

Thx for the responses so far. So I think I'm golden on the never dull. I also think I will try to use some black diamond all metal sealant after washing and "polishing" my amuse exhaust: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...etdiallme.html

But I am a little confused on how an all titanium exhaust like the Amuse is characterized: Are the tips and canisters a bare metal (polished surface)? Or it an anodized metal? Or a coated/plated metal?

In another thread, someone suggested the blue gradated parts of the titan tip are "anodized", but I am not so sure, and am interested in your input.

The reason why I ask is that certain cleaners/polishers are not recommended for anodized/coated metals and are only recommended for bare metal surfaces (like MOTHER's MAG POLISH, LUSTER LACE, P21S POLISHING SOAP, etc.).

While others are suited for anodized and plated metals in addition to bare metals (like FLITZ METAL POLISH: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...epofipare.html, P21S MULTI SURFACE FINISH RESTORER: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...mulfinres.html, and WENOL)

I really hope the small amount of mother's mag/aluminum polish I used on the non-gradated part of the titan exhaust tip did not cause any ill-effects if the exhaust is indeed considered an anodized/plated metal and not a bare metal.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!
__________________
"I hate haters"

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-28-2009 at 06:12 PM.
jonnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
stevehl
Registered User
 
stevehl's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (29)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Irvine
Posts: 3,333
Points: 6,205, Level: 51
Points: 6,205, Level: 51 Points: 6,205, Level: 51 Points: 6,205, Level: 51
Today's Activity: 0%
Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0%
Default

Anyone use mags hot polish? I have the same problem with my hks, water marks, and want to know if mags is safe. If not, going with eagle one also.
stevehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
jonnylaw
Registered User

 
jonnylaw's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Meifumado
Posts: 1,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehl View Post
Anyone use mags hot polish? I have the same problem with my hks, water marks, and want to know if mags is safe. If not, going with eagle one also.
I would not recommend the mag hot polish for your HKS. One description reads:

"Meguiars Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish is safe for clear coated metal but is not the best choice as traditional clear coat paint polishes work better. Do not use on anodized aluminum"

Go with the Never Dull--that's likely what I will use and you can find it at almost any auto parts store
__________________
"I hate haters"
jonnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
stevehl
Registered User
 
stevehl's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (29)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Irvine
Posts: 3,333
Points: 6,205, Level: 51
Points: 6,205, Level: 51 Points: 6,205, Level: 51 Points: 6,205, Level: 51
Today's Activity: 0%
Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0% Today's Activity: 0%
Default

ok sounds good man. Gonna go pick one up soon
stevehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Anomaly
Registered User

 
Anomaly's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (7)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,938
Points: 4,660, Level: 43
Points: 4,660, Level: 43 Points: 4,660, Level: 43 Points: 4,660, Level: 43
Today's Activity: 0.8%
Today's Activity: 0.8% Today's Activity: 0.8% Today's Activity: 0.8%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylaw View Post
But I am a little confused on how an all titanium exhaust like the Amuse is characterized: Are the tips and canisters a bare metal (polished surface)? Or it an anodized metal? Or a coated/plated metal?

In another thread, someone suggested the blue gradated parts of the titan tip are "anodized", but I am not so sure, and am interested in your input.

I really hope the small amount of mother's mag/aluminum polish I used on the non-gradated part of the titan exhaust tip did not cause any ill-effects if the exhaust is indeed considered an anodized/plated metal and not a bare metal.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!
The best method to determine what the coating is on the exhaust is to contact the manufacturer or another manufacturer with a similar design.

But, my thinking is that the titanium is probably anodized and you would be better able to maintain the exhaust and keep it looking it's best by using a product that is either meant for polishing anodized metals or an all metal polish. The only other all metal polish I can think of off hand that you haven't mentioned is Meguiar's NXT All Metal Polysh.

According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
Anodized titanium is used in a recent generation of dental implants. An anodized oxide layer has a thickness in the range of 500 to 1000 angstroms, much thicker than that for a naturally formed oxide layer, which has a range of 50 to 250 angstroms.[citation needed]

Titanium anodic films cannot be made thicker than about 300nm, and are therefore susceptible to mechanical damage.[9] Standards for titanium anodizing are given by AMS 2487 and AMS 2488.

Anodizing titanium generates an array of different colors without dyes, for which it is sometimes used in art, costume jewelry, body piercing jewellery and wedding rings. The color formed is dependent on the thickness of the oxide (which is determined by the anodising voltage); it is caused by the interference of light reflecting off the oxide surface with light traveling through it and reflecting off the underlying metal surface. Titanium nitride coatings can also be formed, which have a brown or golden color and have the same wear and corrosion benefits as anodization.
I doubt that a small amount of polish not intended to clean anodized parts will cause any significant problem. You would most likely see detrimental effects over time.

Some additional information on Titanium and Titanium Anodizing:
http://www.titanium.org/files/ItemFileA177.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGIj9yn2DEo
__________________
2004 DB Touring

Last edited by Anomaly; 09-29-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
jonnylaw
Registered User

 
jonnylaw's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Meifumado
Posts: 1,957
Default

Thank you for the response. So it is your opinion that the small amount of polish not meant for anodized metals (Mothers mag and aluminum polish) that I inititally used, wiped off, and washed the area, likely did not harm the finish, but if it did, it would likely only show the detrimental effects over time? The area I use the small amount on, cleaned it up a little bit, but I do not see that the area has gotten any worse since, so I hope all is well. I will be trying some polish/cleaner meant for all types of metal (including anodized), possible also Neverdull for water spots (as others have said they got good results using them on titanium exhausts), then I plan to finish it off with some blackwire wet diamond metal sealant after a good wash and dry.

and that link on titanium exhausts was a good read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
The best method to determine what the coating is on the exhaust is to contact the manufacturer or another manufacturer with a similar design.

But, my thinking is that the titanium is probably anodized and you would be better able to maintain the exhaust and keep it looking it's best by using a product that is either meant for polishing anodized metals or an all metal polish. The only other all metal polish I can think of off hand that you haven't mentioned is Meguiar's NXT All Metal Polysh.

According to Wikipedia:


I doubt that a small amount of polish not intended to clean anodized parts will cause any significant problem. You would most likely see detrimental effects over time.

Some additional information on Titanium and Titanium Anodizing:
http://www.titanium.org/files/ItemFileA177.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGIj9yn2DEo
__________________
"I hate haters"
jonnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Anomaly
Registered User

 
Anomaly's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (7)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,938
Points: 4,660, Level: 43
Points: 4,660, Level: 43 Points: 4,660, Level: 43 Points: 4,660, Level: 43
Today's Activity: 0.8%
Today's Activity: 0.8% Today's Activity: 0.8% Today's Activity: 0.8%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaw
Thank you for the response. So it is your opinion that the small amount of polish not meant for anodized metals (Mothers mag and aluminum polish) that I inititally used, wiped off, and washed the area, likely did not harm the finish, but if it did, it would likely only show the detrimental effects over time? The area I use the small amount on, cleaned it up a little bit, but I do not see that the area has gotten any worse since, so I hope all is well. I will be trying some polish/cleaner meant for all types of metal (including anodized), possible also Neverdull for water spots (as others have said they got good results using them on titanium exhausts), then I plan to finish it off with some blackwire wet diamond metal sealant after a good wash and dry.

and that link on titanium exhausts was a good read!

No. What I meant was that if you used the not-approved for anodized metals metal polish repeatedly then over time you would see detrimental effects.

Using the not-recommended for anodized metals metal polish once in a test area should not do anything to the surface. …Unless you took a heavy-duty buffer wheel to the surface too.
__________________
2004 DB Touring
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
jonnylaw
Registered User

 
jonnylaw's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (3)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Meifumado
Posts: 1,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
No. What I meant was that if you used the not-approved for anodized metals metal polish repeatedly then over time you would see detrimental effects.

Using the not-recommended for anodized metals metal polish once in a test area should not do anything to the surface. …Unless you took a heavy-duty buffer wheel to the surface too.
ah, ok, thanks. understood. I only used a hand applicator and wiped off and washed with microfiber towel.
__________________
"I hate haters"
jonnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #18
pchong154
Registered User
 
pchong154's Avatar
 
Trader Score: (1)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 319
Points: 2,653, Level: 31
Points: 2,653, Level: 31 Points: 2,653, Level: 31 Points: 2,653, Level: 31
Today's Activity: 0.5%
Today's Activity: 0.5% Today's Activity: 0.5% Today's Activity: 0.5%
Default

P21s Finish Restorer, best thing I've ever used on any metal.
__________________
Eilte Importz.... SB Z riding on Gunmetal Volks
pchong154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
MyG37
Infiniti G37




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
350z, aluminum, anodize, anodized, clean, exhaust, fix, heat, mag, mothers, oxide, polish, polishing, tips, titan, titanium



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

ADVERTISING
INSURANCE CENTER

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Advertise on MY350Z.COM - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Jobs
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2008, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.

Admin control Panel Backup