Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How to clean/polish titanium exhaust

Old 09-27-2009, 05:38 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to clean/polish titanium exhaust

So I've used just soap and water on my Amuse titanium exhaust, but after my car being in the shop for over a month and a lack of washing, my exhaust tips have water spots and some minor surface scratches (not on the blue gradation), which I am looking to fix.

I have tried some mother's mag polish, but am searching for other polishes/cleaners that might be of better use for titanium.

Some products I am considering are:

Luster Lace: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...olulacopa.html

P21S polishing soap: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/p2poso2.html

Eagle One Never Dull: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/nevrdull.html

Wenol: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/wemepo2.html

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-27-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
So I've used just soap and water on my Amuse titanium exhaust, but after my car being in the shop for over a month and a lack of washing, my exhaust tips have water spots and some minor surface scratches (not on the blue gradation), which I am looking to fix.

I have tried some mother's mag polish, but am searching for other polishes/cleaners that might be of better use for titanium.

Some products I am considering are:

Luster Lace: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...olulacopa.html

P21S polishing soap: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/p2poso2.html

Eagle One Never Dull: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/nevrdull.html

Any thoughts/suggestions?
I used Eagle one Never Dull on my Greddy Ti-C and never had any issues with it. Simple to use and great results
Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

i used to claybar mine. worked well.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
I used Eagle one Never Dull on my Greddy Ti-C and never had any issues with it. Simple to use and great results
Good to know, this is one of the more affordable and readily avilable polishes. Did you use it on the blue gradated areas of the exhaust tip, in addition to the plain titanium parts? If so, there was no ill effects to the gradation?

Thx!
Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM
oddjobbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use never dull on my HKS titanium tips and the rest of the exhaust it works great especially on water spots.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

used it on the whole exhaust, no problems with it.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 PM
freedonutss

Optimum metal polish works well for me
Old 09-27-2009, 10:55 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Chemical Guys Metal Shine, easy to apply and the shine is a wiNNer.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:13 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread. A shop totally F'd my HKS tips fixing a scratch in my door. Going to look for one of the products above right now.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
jonnylaw

Thx for the responses so far. So I think I'm golden on the never dull. I also think I will try to use some black diamond all metal sealant after washing and "polishing" my amuse exhaust: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...etdiallme.html

But I am a little confused on how an all titanium exhaust like the Amuse is characterized: Are the tips and canisters a bare metal (polished surface)? Or it an anodized metal? Or a coated/plated metal?

In another thread, someone suggested the blue gradated parts of the titan tip are "anodized", but I am not so sure, and am interested in your input.

The reason why I ask is that certain cleaners/polishers are not recommended for anodized/coated metals and are only recommended for bare metal surfaces (like MOTHER's MAG POLISH, LUSTER LACE, P21S POLISHING SOAP, etc.).

While others are suited for anodized and plated metals in addition to bare metals (like FLITZ METAL POLISH: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...epofipare.html, P21S MULTI SURFACE FINISH RESTORER: http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...mulfinres.html, and WENOL)

I really hope the small amount of mother's mag/aluminum polish I used on the non-gradated part of the titan exhaust tip did not cause any ill-effects if the exhaust is indeed considered an anodized/plated metal and not a bare metal.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!

Last edited by jonnylaw; 09-28-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
stevehl

Anyone use mags hot polish? I have the same problem with my hks, water marks, and want to know if mags is safe. If not, going with eagle one also.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by stevehl
Anyone use mags hot polish? I have the same problem with my hks, water marks, and want to know if mags is safe. If not, going with eagle one also.
I would not recommend the mag hot polish for your HKS. One description reads:

"Meguiars Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish is safe for clear coated metal but is not the best choice as traditional clear coat paint polishes work better. Do not use on anodized aluminum"

Go with the Never Dull--that's likely what I will use and you can find it at almost any auto parts store
Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM
stevehl

ok sounds good man. Gonna go pick one up soon
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
But I am a little confused on how an all titanium exhaust like the Amuse is characterized: Are the tips and canisters a bare metal (polished surface)? Or it an anodized metal? Or a coated/plated metal?

In another thread, someone suggested the blue gradated parts of the titan tip are "anodized", but I am not so sure, and am interested in your input.

I really hope the small amount of mother's mag/aluminum polish I used on the non-gradated part of the titan exhaust tip did not cause any ill-effects if the exhaust is indeed considered an anodized/plated metal and not a bare metal.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thx!
The best method to determine what the coating is on the exhaust is to contact the manufacturer or another manufacturer with a similar design.

But, my thinking is that the titanium is probably anodized and you would be better able to maintain the exhaust and keep it looking it's best by using a product that is either meant for polishing anodized metals or an all metal polish. The only other all metal polish I can think of off hand that you haven't mentioned is Meguiar's NXT All Metal Polysh.

According to Wikipedia:
Anodized titanium is used in a recent generation of dental implants. An anodized oxide layer has a thickness in the range of 500 to 1000 angstroms, much thicker than that for a naturally formed oxide layer, which has a range of 50 to 250 angstroms.[citation needed]

Titanium anodic films cannot be made thicker than about 300nm, and are therefore susceptible to mechanical damage.[9] Standards for titanium anodizing are given by AMS 2487 and AMS 2488.

Anodizing titanium generates an array of different colors without dyes, for which it is sometimes used in art, costume jewelry, body piercing jewellery and wedding rings. The color formed is dependent on the thickness of the oxide (which is determined by the anodising voltage); it is caused by the interference of light reflecting off the oxide surface with light traveling through it and reflecting off the underlying metal surface. Titanium nitride coatings can also be formed, which have a brown or golden color and have the same wear and corrosion benefits as anodization.
I doubt that a small amount of polish not intended to clean anodized parts will cause any significant problem. You would most likely see detrimental effects over time.

Some additional information on Titanium and Titanium Anodizing:
http://www.titanium.org/files/ItemFileA177.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGIj9yn2DEo

Last edited by Anomaly; 09-29-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM
jonnylaw

Thank you for the response. So it is your opinion that the small amount of polish not meant for anodized metals (Mothers mag and aluminum polish) that I inititally used, wiped off, and washed the area, likely did not harm the finish, but if it did, it would likely only show the detrimental effects over time? The area I use the small amount on, cleaned it up a little bit, but I do not see that the area has gotten any worse since, so I hope all is well. I will be trying some polish/cleaner meant for all types of metal (including anodized), possible also Neverdull for water spots (as others have said they got good results using them on titanium exhausts), then I plan to finish it off with some blackwire wet diamond metal sealant after a good wash and dry.

and that link on titanium exhausts was a good read!

Originally Posted by Anomaly
The best method to determine what the coating is on the exhaust is to contact the manufacturer or another manufacturer with a similar design.

But, my thinking is that the titanium is probably anodized and you would be better able to maintain the exhaust and keep it looking it's best by using a product that is either meant for polishing anodized metals or an all metal polish. The only other all metal polish I can think of off hand that you haven't mentioned is Meguiar's NXT All Metal Polysh.

According to Wikipedia:

I doubt that a small amount of polish not intended to clean anodized parts will cause any significant problem. You would most likely see detrimental effects over time.

Some additional information on Titanium and Titanium Anodizing:
http://www.titanium.org/files/ItemFileA177.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGIj9yn2DEo
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnylaw
Thank you for the response. So it is your opinion that the small amount of polish not meant for anodized metals (Mothers mag and aluminum polish) that I inititally used, wiped off, and washed the area, likely did not harm the finish, but if it did, it would likely only show the detrimental effects over time? The area I use the small amount on, cleaned it up a little bit, but I do not see that the area has gotten any worse since, so I hope all is well. I will be trying some polish/cleaner meant for all types of metal (including anodized), possible also Neverdull for water spots (as others have said they got good results using them on titanium exhausts), then I plan to finish it off with some blackwire wet diamond metal sealant after a good wash and dry.

and that link on titanium exhausts was a good read!

No. What I meant was that if you used the not-approved for anodized metals metal polish repeatedly then over time you would see detrimental effects.

Using the not-recommended for anodized metals metal polish once in a test area should not do anything to the surface. …Unless you took a heavy-duty buffer wheel to the surface too.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
jonnylaw

Originally Posted by Anomaly
No. What I meant was that if you used the not-approved for anodized metals metal polish repeatedly then over time you would see detrimental effects.

Using the not-recommended for anodized metals metal polish once in a test area should not do anything to the surface. …Unless you took a heavy-duty buffer wheel to the surface too.
ah, ok, thanks. understood. I only used a hand applicator and wiped off and washed with microfiber towel.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
pchong154

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P21s Finish Restorer, best thing I've ever used on any metal.