Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

FW1 Cleaning Wax

Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
juju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FW1 Cleaning Wax

So I'm willing to bet a lot of you already know where this is going.

A company called AGS Labs makes a product called FW1 Cleaning Wax. They have salesmen who promote the product at gas stations. It's basically an aerosol spray waterless wash/wax. I was approached with the product earlier tonight and I bought a can.

Now usually I would politely say no and leave. BUT, I'm in somewhat of a unique situation. I just moved to a new apartment complex that doesn't have a car wash station or outside water source. In other words, I can't wash my car. I also don't feel like paying $30 to have someone else do it.

So this product would be PERFECT for my situation. I'm just worried about long-term damage to the paint. Just curious if anyone has any experience or info on this product before I put it on my Z.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know anything about the FW1 Cleaning Wax but I have used Adam's Waterless Wash and Griot's Spray Wash. Both of them did an outstanding job cleaning the car and I can see no damage of any kind. Another excellent product is the Optimum No Rinse. It just requires a bucket of water to do the whole car. There seem to be several good waterless wash products on the market now and I think most will do a creditable job.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:20 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking there would be a greater chance of scratching the paint as opposed to doing a good wash and wax.
I'd also take a wild shot and think that there isn't much actual wax in the product. Probably enough to call it wax, but not enough to do much good.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a no-wash detailer? Bad news. Anytime you wipe the paint of a dirty car its just like rubbing with sandpaper. Dirt acts as the grit.

THere are no shortcuts.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
shaun123

Im with kornercarver on this. Optimum no rinse is supposed to be a great product and used quite often by the best detailers. I am apprehensive to use it on my own car, but I also have access to a water source. If i were in your situation OP, I would get some the ONR and give it a try.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 AM
MikeBit

I also have this stuff. I have 2 cans of it. The saleswoman who approached me was FINE AS F*** and I couldn't not say yes. She did give me 2 for the price of 1 though. I bought these FW1 cans like 5 months ago and have not even touched them. Quite frankly I'm reluctant. If anyone knows anything about this stuff please post! I would never apply anything without hosing down the dirt with high-pressure water first.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:52 AM
davidv

You are welcome.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another ungrateful noob whom cannot thank davidv
Old 12-12-2009, 04:08 AM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

I've been using the stuff on my Z for a while. If we have a meet where I don't have a lot of time to do a complete was & wax I use it. Don't use it if your cars completely dirty of course.

What I do is go over my Z with my California brush lightly, fill up my little bucket of water & do a once over to get all the dirty/dust off. I use a terry cloth towel to buff it in a circular motion just like the instructions say. I use a micro fiber towel to buff it off once it's dried. Do a small section @ a time. if it dries on rubber it can be a pain the next day because more spots that dried will start popping up. Following the instructions is key.

I think for what it does, it works great. Have some method to it & it works good. I don't have anything more wrong with my paint than what It had when I bought it.

It definitely has Carnauba wax in it. Put it on your windshield & it'll take you a good 5 minutes to buff it enough to where you can't see the swirl from the wax. Really cool thing is that once you buff it in real good, your windshield has a rainX type protection for a good week.

When I was approached the lady said it cleaned everything. I drive a work truck for a living & you can't even see the chrome on my rims. I have to use Nevr Dull cotton wadding to rub through all that crap & takes about 30 minutes per rim, so I told her, "If that stuff will take off all that caked on brake dust, I'll buy it". She got after it. She sprayed it on & started buffing immediately using a liberal amount, but it came off way quicker that Nevr Dull. I was impressed. When she sold me I got 2 cans & she threw in the black pistol grip handle that snaps in the top as well as a micro fiber cloth. I really like the handle, cause it allows you to spray it on smoother.

I wax & clay bar my Z too, but this has worked well in a pinch.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:44 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Another ungrateful noob whom cannot thank davidv
You may be the only member who knows what my "You are Welcome" means. I don't need a You are Welcome - just a reply or simple acknowledgement that the OP is reading replies to his thread. BTW each "You are Welcome" I add the OP to my ignore like. Why waste my time again on this member?

Last edited by davidv; 12-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:46 PM
MikeBit

david you're hilarious. I agree.

Wow these guys are still selling! I was at the same exact Shell station on thursday filling up, and yet again I was approached by a salesman. I told the guy I already have two cans. And he replies "I'm glad you do man because that is a sweet ride you've got there."
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
You may be the only member who knows what my "You are Welcome" means. I don't need a You are Welcome - just a reply or simple acknowledgement that the OP is reading replies to his thread. BTW each "You are Welcome" I add the OP to my ignore like. Why waste my time again on the this member?
Wow, thats a good ignore philosophy.. Id be clicking a lot of ignore......