Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

DoDo Juice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:28 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default DoDo Juice

I wonder if anyone can solve a debate i'm having with a friend about the application of DoDo Juice wax. He reckons the best way to apply it is by hand yet i think it should be applied with small applicator pads. I've only ever seen carnuba wax applied by hand when it costs over $12000 for a small container. If anyone has any ideas, i'd be grateful. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

if by "small applicator pads" you mean using a machine then you dont understand the term. assuming you mean (hand) man vs machine type scenario. any wax from $12 - $12000 can be applied by hand using a application pad or using a machine. depending on the detailers preference and comfort level. can do moreharm than good if you use the machine and dont know what you are doing

Last edited by vex008; 02-16-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

i would always do it by hand with a small applicator pad as i think its a more delicate process than paint correction and polishing
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I think the original poster is asking if the wax should be applied by hand without using an applicator pad. I have done Zymol using only my hands and the application came out beautifully. You have much better contact with the paint if you apply wax with your hands. It can't hurt to try and I suspect you will use a lot less wax applying it by hand rather than the pad. The pad absorbs wax as you use it, your hands will not.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

vex008, yes i did mean hand pads as i've never thought of applying wax by machine. Correcting and cutting paint yes but, not waxing via machine.
Thanks Kornercarver you understand exactly where i'm coming from. i apologise if i didn't make myself totally clear with the original post, but some obviously understood what i meant.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is a picture of some wax being applied by hand..........
Attached Thumbnails DoDo Juice-hand-application-wax.jpg  
Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The best paste waxes are a combination of Carnauba, solvents, emollients, eye-of-newt, snake oil and lubricants, rubbing it on with your bare hands is probably the closest thing to autoerotism for your car. However, it really doesn’t matter how the wax first gets slathered on the paint surface, because it’s the buffing action that removes the excess, creates the friction heat to evaporate the solvents and secret-sauces and leave a micro skim of wax on the paint.

If I’m working in good light, an applicator pad is perfect as I can see that I’m getting complete coverage at the right thickness with no missed spots. If it’s a bit too dark in the garage to see contrast, then spreading the wax with my fingertips is better. Your fingers give good feedback as to when you have an even coat and instantly detect any dry spots. Also it can be easier to get some wax up close to the rubber weather stripping without accidentally tagging it. Double also, if there is a missed a little dot of crap still stuck on the paint after washing/claying, your finger will catch it.

Either way, once I start buffing up some friction and shine, my car doesn’t care, it just doesn’t want me to stop.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ This above response pretty much sums it up but I'm just going to chime in because of my particular amount of experience with Dodo Juice (my wax of choice) applied both by fingertip and applicator. DJ has a very runny consistency, its not very homogeneous and the applicator pads absolutely slurp up the liquid portion not only causing you to use a lot more product but also leaves you with only the gritty bits left that just wont spread very nice by themselves. Fingertip application is definitely the way to go here, not only are you getting a much better application, you are saving yourself much green as the dodo ain't cheap as you know if you've been shopping.