Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 AM
sf.jung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issue

Hey guys, i've been searching all over forums and youtube videos to find things i can do to solve the issues with my car. i tried the idle relearn and nothing works.

2003 touring 210k miles.
Had a catch can during the valve cover change, but went back to a breather filter since i started having the issues and a catback exhaust. no other mods.

Before i changed the valve covers (due to oil leaking into the spark plugs and out the cover gaskets) the car was running fine. the oil pressure gauge read 15-20 psi at idle (now it reads 12-15) and the only time the oil light turned on was when i lost too much oil. but i would instantly top it off when i see the light.

After changing out the valve covers and cleaning the inside of the plenum, the car's rpms would drop below 500 rpms for a few seconds when i put the car in neutral when coming to a stop or if i blip the throttle. when the rpms drop that low, the oil light flashes on for a second or two before the rpms rise back up and the light turns off.

Ive been monitoring the oil level for the past few days and constantly checking for leaks but the oil level is fine and theres no leaks at all.

i spent a whole night trying the three relearn process (maybe im not doing them right) but the car still does the same thing. the car runs fine, hasnt lost any power but for the first time since the valve cover install, the rpms dropped so low that the engine shut off on its own.

i tried resetting the ecu (with the ignition, throttle play technique) but still no change. my mechanic told me to just ignore it for a few days and it should fix itself... not sure if thats true since its already been two days and i havent seen any improvement since.

anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this?

Last edited by sf.jung; 12-29-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:10 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

why did you post this in the cleaning and detailing section?

Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM
sf.jung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought that maybe because i cleaned the inside of the plenum, it could have been the some of the cause for the issues im having