Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

DRAG RACE FORUM: Listen up..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Post DRAG RACE FORUM: Listen up..

I'm getting sick and tired of some of these members who continuously come into the drag forum, giving stupid advices. Not only do they put other prospective drag racers down, they act grandiose. They have little to no knowledge when it comes to drag racing, but yet insist on offering their sh!tty 2 cents.

Half these guys are nowhere to be found on our top 25 list. I'm really getting fed up with the noobs who aren't even on the top 25 list nor can they even produce one good time slip of their own. I'm no pro myself, but at least I know what factors are important and don't just look at the 60', ET, and trap (they only know of those 3 things from reading). These noobs don't realize certain places have a much better DA (along with other important factors) than other places, hence the varying times/speeds from different regions.

With that said, I do agree our list isn't the most accurate one to depict which drivers excel more so than others, but it's a relative list to what could be achieved in the right conditions.

I'd like to add that if and when you guys make a thread for us to analyze your times, boast about (boost level, horsepower, etc), or whatever, please add either the DA or conditions (humidity, track altitude, pressure, temperature, etc).

I don't post too much in the drag sub-forum, but I do read most of the posts. Most of the guys giving "advices" are those who can't drive themselves or just repeating only what they read. Noobs, please support your "advices" with your own proof. Otherwise, I suggest you shut the hell up and let those who actually have more (and real) experience and knowledge do the talking.

Also, for those who actually have the experience and knowledge, please try not to let these guys asking for help down. You were all there before. No need to discourage them from racing with harsh words. Also, don't boast so damn much about whatever (boost, mods, power, etc).

/rant

Much better.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

just drop the clutch from 6000rpm and you are good to go.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Rant. ^What if you don't have a clutch to drop? Trannyist
Old 11-05-2007, 05:55 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good rant Chris

I feel the same way with what people have been saying here lately. There has been alot of bashing and bad advice given by those that arnt even on the list.

I dont mind at all sharing my experience at all. I know i have asked alot of questions and have been helped out by a few good drivers on this forum. Plus i ask questions at the track, I talk to the ones that have their cars setup for drag racing.

There are alot of knowledgeable people on this forum who dont mind helping others out.

We cant change the track conditions some of you guys have to deal with. It is what it is. Chris and I have put alot of time into the top 25 list and we have recieve alot of praise. I have not seen another site that has a list put together aswell as ours is. Hell the G35 forum is using the same format.

Just keep up the good driving guys. I like reading all the posts where people have improved their times.

Todd
Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by Nexx
just drop the clutch from 6000rpm and you are good to go.
Jason, I'm not trying to pick on you specifically or anything. I know you're a pretty chill guy in person, so don't take this personally.

How many times have you been to the track and what does your track experience consist of? Out of your total amount of runs at the track, how many were even remotely good (regardless of you not knowing about your out of whack tire psi, which is noob to begin with)? So, with just these things in mind, are you really in the position to give out any sort of "advice," whether or not you're just regurgitating what you've read and heard (read: not based on personal trial and error experience) on and off the forums?

I know you mean no harm and could very well be joking, but some of these guys who've never really had any sort of experience may really follow what you say.

Extreme hypothetical situation: What if at our track day, I had told you to dump your clutch at 6000, slam on the accel, ping redline twice, then shift?

More experienced drag racers get more respect, thus their words reach a greater number of audience. However little/more experience you have over the ones asking for help is still more than what they have. And if they happen to have more experience, but still ask a question, they probably are looking for a more advanced racers' opinions.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
ct350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always give motivational support to people even though im not the greatest driver. But I do have some experience and I have been on the top 25 for a while. I just havent been to the track in a while. Hopefully im not one of these people your talking about.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
SergEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having made 100+ passes over the years in my previous cars at higher elevation tracks I have dealt with the "those times are slow" for a long time

WHen your track is 3000 ASL and the temps are 100*+ dont expect times to be earth shattering lol

I think the list should at least provide temps and track location if they are verified

Most slips have time of day, temp and location so that should be easy to add to the list

I have seen lists with mods, whp, location, temps and it offers members an easy A+B = C way of comparing mods to ETs

For the betterment of the Z community I think the list should comprise of this info so members can really compare apples to apples

If we cant change locations at least we can potentially compare apples to apples instead of apples to apple sauce

Props for the list and thanks for the effort
Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Jason, I'm not trying to pick on you specifically or anything. I know you're a pretty chill guy in person, so don't take this personally.

How many times have you been to the track and what does your track experience consist of? Out of your total amount of runs at the track, how many were even remotely good (regardless of you not knowing about your out of whack tire psi, which is noob to begin with)? So, with just these things in mind, are you really in the position to give out any sort of "advice," whether or not you're just regurgitating what you've read and heard (read: not based on personal trial and error experience) on and off the forums?

I know you mean no harm and could very well be joking, but some of these guys who've never really had any sort of experience may really follow what you say.

Extreme hypothetical situation: What if at our track day, I had told you to dump your clutch at 6000, slam on the accel, ping redline twice, then shift?

More experienced drag racers get more respect, thus their words reach a greater number of audience. However little/more experience you have over the ones asking for help is still more than what they have. And if they happen to have more experience, but still ask a question, they probably are looking for a more advanced racers' opinions.
lol, chris i hope you know how much of a joke that was... i dont give drag racing advice because with a manual i am a newb so i stay out of it, like you are suggesting.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the latest thread where I have asked the no time slip hot dog racers to post a time slip, and have gotten no reply:

https://my350z.com/forum/drag/312762-03-350z-base-1-4-firebird.html.

Members new and old will soon learn who is racing, and who are the wannabies.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman
Chris and I have put alot of time into the top 25 list and we have recieve alot of praise. I have not seen another site that has a list put together aswell as ours is.
Its not perfect, but it is the best that we have.

Other forums have similar lists, but they are unverified. Hell anyone can post a number. This list is verified, and members can scrutinize times for validity. Its an example for other forums to follow. Good job.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:56 AM
S8ER95Z

Jeesh you could have just posted my name..you didn't have to address the whole group... sorry guys.

I will stop bothering you all.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Jeesh you could have just posted my name..you didn't have to address the whole group... sorry guys.

I will stop bothering you all.
Dunno if you were being sarcastic or not, but I don't think this was directed at you.

Its the people not on the list that give advice like "dump the clutch from 3,000 RPM's and have your tires at 20 psi" that don't know what they are telling other people what to do that are annoying.

I'm far from an expert, and I hope this isn't directed at me...
Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 AM
trey.hutcheson

I agree; I easily tire of reading the same regurgitated responses, and it doesn't only apply to drag racing. Pick any electronic forum, and topic, and you'll see the parrot responses.

This list was a great idea, and implemented very well. I started the list on g35driver, using the same columns/formatting; I even asked aceman for his approval beforehand . I made two changes thought: I changed to a monospace font(Courier New), and I included optional DA information. The original intent was that if the poster submitted conditions, I would calculate the DA and adjust the submitted ET/trap, and include the adjusted values in another column. The ranking of the list would still be based on actual ET, but the adjusted information is there for comparison's sake.

I quickly learned however that it was exceedingly time consuming to calculate DA and adjust those values for every post, and our list is a fraction of the size of this list. So now I only include the adjusted values if the posted include the DA itself, not the conditions.

As for offering advice or answering questions, I tend to only respond to very specific questions. Generic things like "how do I launch" I usually ignore. It's a topic discussed all over the internet, and a little diligence is all that's needed to get the concept. However, no amount of reading will beat actual experience. Hell, I ran my car for about 150 passes on street tires and I never quite got the launch down. I'm still not happy with my launch on DR's. As for experience? My car now has about 275 passes on it, with me driving, so I don't exactly qualify as a noob anymore.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:09 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by Peak350
Dunno if you were being sarcastic or not, but I don't think this was directed at you.
Not sarcastic persae but I was just playing.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Datona Jess

Originally Posted by SergEK
Having made 100+ passes over the years in my previous cars at higher elevation tracks I have dealt with the "those times are slow" for a long time

WHen your track is 3000 ASL and the temps are 100*+ dont expect times to be earth shattering lol

I think the list should at least provide temps and track location if they are verified

Most slips have time of day, temp and location so that should be easy to add to the list

I have seen lists with mods, whp, location, temps and it offers members an easy A+B = C way of comparing mods to ETs

For the betterment of the Z community I think the list should comprise of this info so members can really compare apples to apples

If we cant change locations at least we can potentially compare apples to apples instead of apples to apple sauce

Props for the list and thanks for the effort

I think this is an excellent idea.
Having drag raced a ton (little experience in my Z though), these are essential factors to put in a real comparison for other drivers. If that is in fact what we are trying to accomplish with that list.

I do agree though that there are so many variables, that people may think that is "outrageous" and it may work for someone else...There are extremes of course.

I hope some of the pecking was not aimed at me.
I try to just remain positive with whomever as it can be frustrating.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM
one350zfan

People post in here?

This place is dead!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Dave B

Good rant and I'd also like to add that certain people on this site act like they're God's gift to drag racing because their ET/MPH exceptionally good for their mods. Every "amazing" run I see on this site, G35driver.com, LS1.com, and Corral.net can usually be attributed to 2 things:

1) Exceptional conditions
2) Quick track

When I see an exceptional timeslip, I calculate out of the density altitude and I also consider the track. More often than the not the following factors apply, the track is in the Northeast or a couple of tracks out in the South near the coast/sea level and the DA is well below sea level. Any way you cut it, you're car is going to be a bullet, even with crappy driving. Sure, it does take some skill to execute a good 60 foot and shift quick, but when you've got a minimally modded car cutting average 60 foots and setting near record ET/MPH, it's not your driving. Some tracks are MUCH faster than others due to location or just the fact that the timing equipment spits out better numbers. That's fact.

Case in point, years ago I owned a 94 Z28 auto with the typical I/E mods. The car run a best of a 13.8@101mph at Kansas City International Raceway and was consistently in the upper 13s over about 50 runs. I went to Houston Raceway Park for an F-Body event and my Z was going 13.4s@103mph with absolutely no changes, in hotter weather, and the same 60 foots. I've seen the same thing running at other tracks in the Midwest. Some are quick and some are consistently slow.

So, just that before you mouth off about how your Z is faster than most any on this site and that it's your driving responsible for such performance, you need to consider where you run and the conditions by which you run in because on another track, you might just have an average running Z.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
TheCajunStyle

Originally Posted by Dave B
or just the fact that the timing equipment spits out better numbers. That's fact.
Please elaborate... I've never heard of this before.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Dave B

Originally Posted by TheCajunStyle
Please elaborate... I've never heard of this before.
Okay. When I raced my 96 Maxima at MO-KAN Dragway (Joplin, MO) on three different occasions, the car was consistently 0.4 seconds and 3mph slower than KCIR. When my friend from Joplin, MO ran his car at KCIR, it was 0.3 seconds and 3mph faster. People that run at KCIR and MO-KAN Dragway notice the same exact thing.

A few years back prior to KCIR getting resurfaced, the left lane consistently showed 3mph slower 1/4 trap speeds, but the 1/8 mile ET/MPH and 1/4 ET were dead on between the two lanes. Once the track was resurfaced, the trap boxes read identical.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I didn't know there were any fast tracks in TX. I thought I was stuck with the crappy conditions, slow track, so-so prep, etc. I guess I'll have to make a 5+ hr trip to HRP if I want to set any ridiculous records.

Quick Reply: DRAG RACE FORUM: Listen up..