Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Drifting 101 - a guide/insight to drifting the z

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, that is what I figured.

I suck when it comes to brakes though. did you see this product: http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/hydraulic.asp

looks like it has the master cylinder incorporated or at least a two entry system.

and how would this affect if you were braking while using it? I will look through your links when I get a chance, I am sort of rushing.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
ok, that is what I figured.

I suck when it comes to brakes though. did you see this product: http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/hydraulic.asp

looks like it has the master cylinder incorporated or at least a two entry system.

and how would this affect if you were braking while using it? I will look through your links when I get a chance, I am sort of rushing.
ya see...that ksport is designed for IN-LINE use on say a nissan 240sx or similar drift car.......another words, a car that has a single brake line straight from the master that then y's to each rear wheel - as in non abs cars.......get what im saying.......

The diagrams i show allow the abs system to still work......another words, i have a hand brake with its OWN reservoir to power and tap into each INDIVIDUAL brake line going to the rear since the 350z has dedicated brake lines for each wheel straight from the abs block.

-j

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 05-20-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
slideZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice writeup man, my first mods are the wheels and coilovers specifically for drifting. i saw my buddy's 240 transform from shitty stock drifter to pretty damn good drifting (for a stock motor) with the coilovers, they really help keep your line.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^^ definitely...........coilovers are great improvement..........
Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Carter86

coming from AE86 i bought the Z and put coilovers and 1.5 way LSD right away. I hate electric gadgets so I chose base model. Power comes later. my power mods are K&N drop in filter, plenum spacer, and nismo exhaust. Luckily, my previous owner upgraded the clutch with RPS so I dont have to worry about my clutch. Im at 76k miles and had been owning the car since 48k miles. Z has great torque band and engine response so you dont need 400 whp+ to drift lol

I've been drifting about 3-4 years on and off. Z is a great car for drifting. I think the weight transition is very smooth and i dont have to worry about breaking things as I used to in AE86.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 AM
o.g.darkdrifter

With the Nankangs you wouldnt even suggest one or two runs on them?

They're the most affordable tire I can find in 18's and they will be going on my daily wheels, but out at Mineral Wells I'm pretty sure I will go through the four tires on my stockies by the end of the day.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:58 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by o.g.darkdrifter
With the Nankangs you wouldnt even suggest one or two runs on them?

They're the most affordable tire I can find in 18's and they will be going on my daily wheels, but out at Mineral Wells I'm pretty sure I will go through the four tires on my stockies by the end of the day.
I bet you would out at mineral wells.......its quite easy there to go through 4 tires regardless of chassis car you take with how rough the surface is.

-J
Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
n1sm0r

Let's talk steering angle. The 06+ Z has a different steering rack from the previous 03-05 350z's. I've had a problem getting more steering angle out of this rack because even with Tein inner tie rods + spacers installed, at full extension, the steering stop didn't come anywhere near touching the shaved down bump stops (shaved half the length off). Now I'm wondering if anyone has had problems like this? I know not too many people on this forum drift too much but has anyone swapped in a 03-05 steering rack into a 06+?
The 2006 got a "speed sensitive" steering rack which leads me to believe it's dramatically different from previous models. Also, after staring at the car from under a lift for several minutes I thought maybe they had some kind of internal stopping mechanisms in the steering rack to prevent over extension of the tie rods

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I may try swapping in a 03-05 steering rack and see what happens.

Also, most other cars can have front spindles modified for dramatically more steering angle (best examples being 240sx, or FC ) and I was wondering if anyone is doing any kind of R&D on products similar for the 350z. I would buy modified spindles in a heart beat.

Anyway, any help is appreciated!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:22 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by n1sm0r
Let's talk steering angle. The 06+ Z has a different steering rack from the previous 03-05 350z's. I've had a problem getting more steering angle out of this rack because even with Tein inner tie rods + spacers installed, at full extension, the steering stop didn't come anywhere near touching the shaved down bump stops (shaved half the length off).
#1 - I didnt know that....

Now I'm wondering if anyone has had problems like this? I know not too many people on this forum drift too much but has anyone swapped in a 03-05 steering rack into a 06+?
#2 - I have an 04, so i can tell you for sure, my pushes so far out that depending on which wheel im running, they actually make contact with the spindles.

The 2006 got a "speed sensitive" steering rack which leads me to believe it's dramatically different from previous models. Also, after staring at the car from under a lift for several minutes I thought maybe they had some kind of internal stopping mechanisms in the steering rack to prevent over extension of the tie rods
#3 - your probably right.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I may try swapping in a 03-05 steering rack and see what happens.
#4 - go for it...i cant see why they wouldnt swap....

Also, most other cars can have front spindles modified for dramatically more steering angle (best examples being 240sx, or FC ) and I was wondering if anyone is doing any kind of R&D on products similar for the 350z. I would buy modified spindles in a heart beat.

#5 - No modified spindles are available that i know of, but with the 350z - there are tons of Z's at the junk yards, i would just swap racks, if your 9inch or larger wide wheels hit your spindles and rub "like mine do" I would just have a second set of spindles ready for swap if you see rubbing damage turn into cracks........i monitor my cars spindles weekly....anytime i hit a pot hole i go home jack the car up and check to make sure my spindles are still one piece............i have some good wear/contact marks where my half cut steering stops hit and my spindles have made contact with the wide wheels i run and have damage....damage being wear marks.....

-J
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
n1sm0r

Been staring at the FSM for a while, the steering racks are completely different at the sub-gear assembly. Luckily the steering linkage is the same so the two racks should be easily-interchanged.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
o.g.darkdrifter

JasonZ-YA: You have wear marks on your spindles because of the amount of angle you have or the width of the wheels? I'm going to be running some 10.5j's +15 offset up front so I think I should know this now lol.

Also, could the steering stops be shaved down a small amount while still running stock inner tie rods to achieve more angle? Or would it be doing more harm than good? I've been told people do it all the time but they didnt specify whether they were on stock inners or not.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Been staring at the FSM for a while, the steering racks are completely different at the sub-gear assembly. Luckily the steering linkage is the same so the two racks should be easily-interchanged.
cool! rock and roll with a swap and take some pics and post it up on here later!

awesome....
-J
Old 02-05-2009, 07:51 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by o.g.darkdrifter
JasonZ-YA: You have wear marks on your spindles because of the amount of angle you have or the width of the wheels? I'm going to be running some 10.5j's +15 offset up front so I think I should know this now lol.

Also, could the steering stops be shaved down a small amount while still running stock inner tie rods to achieve more angle? Or would it be doing more harm than good? I've been told people do it all the time but they didnt specify whether they were on stock inners or not.
I believe the wear marks are a combination of both! both angle and width of wheel and offset.... the widest and worst offset wheel i run is MB weapon +27 with 9 inch wide rim. I also own the +17, 9 inchers as well.....

SOooo, as for your wheel selection, its hard to answer, because for drifting, modifying racks, cutting steering stops, yada, yada, is the norm for a drift car.....
Luckily, the Z has removable steering stops..i say get the car high up on jack stands/lift, etc and then cut the steering stops a little, have someone turn the steering wheel with your selection of wheels mounted and keep cutting from there. if you cut to much, run to your local junk yard and remove some uncut steering stops off a poor dead Z....start again, and dont cut as much this time.......no biggy...

I dont know if cutting the stock steering stops is all you need to do???? but if that was all that was needed, then i guess im a dummy for having bought teins??? So im thinking/guessing that doing so doesn't gain you much angle.......thats why everyone buys the longer tein tie rods...etc..

Sorry i dont have experience with a 10.5 inch wheel, but doing the math with that offset, you should be good, if anything very close to rubbing with teins and steering stops cut half way.....

Also, remember when you have the car on the lift and your checking for contact......remember when drifting your suspensions compressed and stuff flexes......gotta imaging how it will be under load, not just while up on a lift at a no load state? that make sense?

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-05-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:38 PM
jgregory124

great info Jason thanks for the write up
Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM
o.g.darkdrifter

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
I believe the wear marks are a combination of both! both angle and width of wheel and offset.... the widest and worst offset wheel i run is MB weapon +27 with 9 inch wide rim. I also own the +17, 9 inchers as well.....

SOooo, as for your wheel selection, its hard to answer, because for drifting, modifying racks, cutting steering stops, yada, yada, is the norm for a drift car.....
Luckily, the Z has removable steering stops..i say get the car high up on jack stands/lift, etc and then cut the steering stops a little, have someone turn the steering wheel with your selection of wheels mounted and keep cutting from there. if you cut to much, run to your local junk yard and remove some uncut steering stops off a poor dead Z....start again, and dont cut as much this time.......no biggy...

I dont know if cutting the stock steering stops is all you need to do???? but if that was all that was needed, then i guess im a dummy for having bought teins??? So im thinking/guessing that doing so doesn't gain you much angle.......thats why everyone buys the longer tein tie rods...etc..

Sorry i dont have experience with a 10.5 inch wheel, but doing the math with that offset, you should be good, if anything very close to rubbing with teins and steering stops cut half way.....

Also, remember when you have the car on the lift and your checking for contact......remember when drifting your suspensions compressed and stuff flexes......gotta imaging how it will be under load, not just while up on a lift at a no load state? that make sense?

-J
Yeah that makes perfect sense. I may just end up going to mineral wells with my stock setup and see where the car stands. I'll probably just give in and shell out for the tein inners with spl outters(to help with the slight bump steer I have) with rack spacers.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

awesome! hope it all works out......i need to get to mineral wells bad.....im having drifting withdrawls....lol.....

ill be at the march event, as the feb event is too close and im still moving at the moment...

-j
Old 02-12-2009, 01:23 PM
n1sm0r

Also thought I'd mention, it would be a good idea to replace the clutch fork pivot with a reinforced chromoly one when you change out your clutch. Higher mileage Z's tend to break those with stiffer clutches and aggressive driving.

Also, anyone know the cheapest place to get a JWT clutch?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

good info.....

try kyle at ipp...??

-j
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

I found pics of before and after with adding tein tie rods and half cut steering stops.

count the tire tread lines.....

-J
Attached Thumbnails Drifting 101 - a guide/insight to drifting the z-before.jpg   Drifting 101 - a guide/insight to drifting the z-after.jpg  

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-12-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
VQZ33

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
I found pics of before and after with adding tein tie rods and half cut steering stops.

count the tire tread lines.....

-J
WOW! What a huge difference!

Quick Reply: Drifting 101 - a guide/insight to drifting the z