Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Best Drift set up with sways?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM
SpeedDemon20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Drift set up with sways?

do i need both aftermarket sway bars or just the rear cause i heard its better if you take your front sway out. Whats the best set up for the rear sway stiffest hole or what???
Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM
vitaliko

Preference orinted, driving style dependant. Based on your question I am going to guess you don't have much of a technique in which case you have no business worrying about suspension setup. You have not exceeded the Z's suspension setup as it is out of box. Save your money for some drift days and tires.

Best mods for drifting:

1. Diff
2. Coilovers
3. Seat

In that oder.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:22 PM
fatlace_ak21

I wouldn't want to take the front sway out, it plays a vital roll in how your suspension handles weight. You could get a stiffer rear sway bar which depending on the stiffness will make you car oversteer more so then before. But Diff, Coilovers, Stainless brake lines are more important mods for drifting.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
vitaliko

^^ actually brake lines would not help much. Project Mu shoes, however, would. Another couple of things I would do is install drift button and disconnect the ABS.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM
fatlace_ak21

I heard the steel lines are a good idea, because the tires cord and can wrap around and tear your brake lines.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Z33_SPL

Stock sways are best. Remove the rear bar for more traction.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fatlace_ak21
I heard the steel lines are a good idea, because the tires cord and can wrap around and tear your brake lines.
exactly! it happens! ive seen it!

-J
Old 02-03-2010, 07:51 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

OP, have you seen the Drifting 101 sticky??

sway bars i wouldn't put too much thought into unless you have all the others figured out...

-J
Old 02-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Nackers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
OP, have you seen the Drifting 101 sticky??

sway bars i wouldn't put too much thought into unless you have all the others figured out...

-J
I disagree.

Only having sway bars and a Nismo 1.5 made the car feel soooo good. The balance and response was awesome.

You can set them up for the car to be neutral, whereas it tends to push with factory sway bars.

I recommend the hotchkis sways. Soft front; hard rear will give you a slight oversteer with proper tires. Great for easy brake drifts and makes for very quick transitions. The only downside is the lack of steering angle. Those quick transitions can bite you if your not ready.

just my .02
Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

The OP really just needs to kick back and read. It may cause him not to post stupid questions.

My thoughts are, he is only 16 and daddy bought him a car.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nackers
I disagree.

Only having sway bars and a Nismo 1.5 made the car feel soooo good. The balance and response was awesome.

You can set them up for the car to be neutral, whereas it tends to push with factory sway bars.

I recommend the hotchkis sways. Soft front; hard rear will give you a slight oversteer with proper tires. Great for easy brake drifts and makes for very quick transitions. The only downside is the lack of steering angle. Those quick transitions can bite you if your not ready.

just my .02
the steering angle is why i have tie rods as number one..........in the sticky..
-J
Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I do agree with Nackers about the sway bars..

Speaking of Steering angles have you guys heard any thing yet about the knuckles for your cars... That would help us so much..
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
StarscreamZ33

I disagree.

just my .02
I thought you had Stance coilovers also?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
HATED1

Default .

Originally Posted by Royal_T
I do agree with Nackers about the sway bars..

Speaking of Steering angles have you guys heard any thing yet about the knuckles for your cars... That would help us so much..
Hey Edafe, kprace.c o m came out with the new steering knuckles for the z, check it out!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by HATED1
Hey Edafe, kprace.c o m came out with the new steering knuckles for the z, check it out!
win!!! oh man wow!

http://kpi.squarespace.com/kpr350zg35anglekit/

I have gouges in my lower curved control arm from full lock turns with my tein tie rods and cut down steering stop...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-05-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Royal_T

OMG!!! I'm def saving money for those... Can you image it,, my LS and these knuckles = WIN!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Nackers

Originally Posted by StarscreamZ33
I thought you had Stance coilovers also?
I do now. I was speaking about before I had them cause I assume he just has stock dampers/springs
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 PM
StarscreamZ33

I do now. I was speaking about before I had them cause I assume he just has stock dampers/springs
Gotcha, how harsh is the Nismo LSD on the street?
Looking into a diff for the future to replace the OEM VLSD, but this is my daily and will stay that way. I won't let myself too outta prespective and do too much to the car and having it close to stock. So I'm looking at which diff (1.5 way, for drift and grip) won't be too harsh for daily driving. Only one I'm familiar w/ is the 2 way diffs (Kaaz, Tomei, etc) for S13/S14, which all of them were "ok" for the street, but not something I would want to daily, especially w/ the gf in the passenger seat.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Nackers

Originally Posted by StarscreamZ33
Gotcha, how harsh is the Nismo LSD on the street?
Looking into a diff for the future to replace the OEM VLSD, but this is my daily and will stay that way. I won't let myself too outta prespective and do too much to the car and having it close to stock. So I'm looking at which diff (1.5 way, for drift and grip) won't be too harsh for daily driving. Only one I'm familiar w/ is the 2 way diffs (Kaaz, Tomei, etc) for S13/S14, which all of them were "ok" for the street, but not something I would want to daily, especially w/ the gf in the passenger seat.
Unless the fluid needs to be changed or you put your foot down in a corner you don't even know its there.

But, it will really start to whine and clunk when the fluid needs to be changed.

And from my understanding if you wish to make the Nismo a 2 way, you can. Mine is setup really well for street driving cause I get no chirping unless in a blacktop lot going really slow at full lock. Then on the track, I've never had any sort of issue with it not locking up and its been daily driven a drifted heavily on for the past 2 years.

Last edited by Nackers; 02-07-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Royal_T

since we are talking about diffs.. I have to say I really love my welded diff..

Quick Reply: Best Drift set up with sways?