Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

Welded diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
theianmcdougall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ yea it gets you sideways at high speed cornering

Love my welded diff. If you plan on drifting a z it kicks way more *** than a stock vlsd
Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 AM
Deedilus

Glad more Z owners have wised up and stopped talking crap about welded diffs. Everyone here in town gave me **** whenever they asked me about what diff I planned to run and I told them I had it welded. Daily driven here in Texas through massive rainstorms and as long as you respect that you have FULL lock in your diff at all times it's not a problem. It's not like a 240 which will just kick out because they're so light and twitchy as it is. The only difference between a 2.0-way and a welded is the 2.0-way might allow you to drift faster and transition a little smoother or easier. Some prefer 2.0-ways, some prefer welded diffs. All a matter of preference.

And I've taken my welded diff Z to 147. That was in a straight line of course though
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
TehkMob

Bumped the fuel cut off on my welded.. no issues.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
DViper0020

Originally Posted by Deedilus
And I've taken my welded diff Z to 147. That was in a straight line of course though
Was there a lot of vibration or anything?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by DViper0020
Was there a lot of vibration or anything?
Nah. Totally lax. Of course the fact that I had 4 18's with tires chilling in the back, all of my tools, my camera bag, backpack, and buddy in the passenger seat probably aided in it's smoothness :P
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
jiggysnitz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are driving in a straight line the welded diff should cause little to no changes in the car. Reading the comments its seems like some people don't understand why a welded diff causes "issues" for daily driving.

Since both wheels are locked together they must travel the same revolutions as each other. When you turn the inside wheel is traveling in a smaller circle than the outside so it wants to make less revolutions in the same amount of time compared to the outside wheel. Since they are locked the inside wheel will hop and skid to keep up with the turns of the outside wheel.

I have had welded diffs on several daily cars and never really minded too much. The only time it is really noticable is when you are making very tight turns, speed has nothing to do with it, its all about the radius of the turn. With a welded diff you rear end grip is significantly less so if you fly into a corner pushing to the limits of grip you will probably end up sideways. Taking a turn on the freeway will not suddenly not become super sketchy, speed does not matter.

I will say welded diffs cause obvious premature tire wear and make then car seem much shittier than it is (rattles, shakes ect.) but has always been the option I have chosen for a drift/daily.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM
jbwrecked

^Great explanation.

Deedilus you mentioned you had your Z diff welded? Just got some random interest and was wondering where in SA you were located. I own a G and just wanna get an idea of how a welded differential feels. I do daily it so just trying to get some more insight
Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Might want to read this article before you start using Brake cleaner while welding: http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Suplimental information that any good welder should know:

Here's from OSHA http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtrai.../weldhlth.html

CHLORINATED HYDROCARBON SOLVENTS

Various chlorinated hydrocarbons are used in degreasing or other cleaning operations. The vapors of these solvents are a concern in welding and cutting because the heat and ultraviolet radiation from the arc will decompose the vapors and form highly toxic and irritating phosgene gas. (See Phosgene.)

PHOSGENE

Phosgene is formed by decomposition of chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents by ultraviolet radiation. It reacts with moisture in the lungs to produce hydrogen chloride, which in turn destroys lung tissue. For this reason, any use of chlorinated solvents should be well away from welding operations or any operation in which ultraviolet radiation or intense heat is generated.

Originally Posted by ian99rt
Man I was about to go off wondering how someone asking that question legitimately hasn't been flamed off the forum lol.

If I were going to weld up an open diff i'd use a MIG welder (150 amps minimum), a 10 lbs spool of 0.045" mild steel wire, a couple cans of brake cleaner, and half a day b/c i'm gonna lay down all 10 lbs. of that wire into the diff.

Spray the living hell out of the difft (diff is out of the housing), getting every last molecule of grease out. Crank the current up to 120 amps or so, and start laying military welds on every contacting gear surface, edge, etc. Then fill up all the other gear teeth and start passing welds back and forth between them and every other surface. Keep welding until the housing is one just fat weld.

After all is said and done you'll have one welded diff that can't break loose b/c it'll have no where to break loose too
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
jiggysnitz

Also, I think if you are just starting out drifting welded is the easiest way to learn. It is the easiest to break loose and get sideways with and also the most predictable. Usually transitions will be less harsh and snappy with a welded as it has less grip which allows more time to react while you are getting to know the car.

Weldeds can cause your car to push and understeer a bit but that is easily fixed with a quick e brake tug.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM
DViper0020

Good information guys. Thanks for the input. I'll probably be doing this soon.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 PM
TehkMob

Don't forget to mention, that running a welded will absolutely destroy ALL the rear suspension bushings unless you switch to solid. Wheel hop is inevitable if you have anything but solid bushings. Traction arms, toe links/arms, camber arms and diff bushings. Replace all those and your golden.

Ay deedilus, your names Brandon huh? I used to talk with you atnthe meets and remember your car going from one shop to another for your swap, now that your cars running is it swapped? Vk or vh? This is Dustin by the way with the z on ordens.. Or miesters.. Or veil side Andrew f.. Don't remember what I met you with...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM
AngelsVQ

I'm so glad this thread came up, the less informed "haters" actualy stayed quiet....
Good Info here keep it coming
Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Dcakid

Do it.
I've had one for almost a year now.
I change the fluid often because I mess around with it a lot and go to a good amount of events.
Just be ready for all the stupid looks on tight turns that people will give you.
Also I've taken mine up to 140 on it.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Lee_base06

[QUOTE=Shaddy-Z. Just don't drive like a teenage boy and you'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

dont drive like a teenaged boy? The only reason u weld ur diff is to drive like a teenaged boy lol
Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 AM
TehkMob

Originally Posted by Lee_base06
dont drive like a teenaged boy? The only reason u weld ur diff is to drive like a teenaged boy lol
True story, haha.. youre in san antonio? What part? look forward to seeing you around.

Dustin
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
albertsZ

Has anyone daily driven a welded for longer than a year? Are your axles still holding up? Reason i ask is because i daily drove a welded diff on my 240 and i loved it but the only thing that irked me was that i kept on breaking axles... I was also slammed in the rear tucking rim. I want to run a welded diff in my 350 but i dont want to deal with all the maintence that comes with welded diffs (axles going, bushings going, etc)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Welded diffs produce understeer. Other than that, I loved mine on my S13. Until it put me into a ditch.

Breaking axles because of a welded diff? Sounds like you had another issue or something contributing to the axles breakage. I know tons of people running welded diffs for years and axles hold up.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Deedilus

Originally Posted by albertsZ
Has anyone daily driven a welded for longer than a year? Are your axles still holding up? Reason i ask is because i daily drove a welded diff on my 240 and i loved it but the only thing that irked me was that i kept on breaking axles... I was also slammed in the rear tucking rim. I want to run a welded diff in my 350 but i dont want to deal with all the maintence that comes with welded diffs (axles going, bushings going, etc)
Axles breaking? I've had my diff welded for over a year and my axles are fine so far. One of my boots is ripped but that's just because the place I work on my Z at is down a terrible dirt road and my car is quite low. Bushings can be solved by just getting solid ones (Go for SPL, they make awesome ones.)

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Welded diffs produce understeer. Other than that, I loved mine on my S13. Until it put me into a ditch.

Breaking axles because of a welded diff? Sounds like you had another issue or something contributing to the axles breakage. I know tons of people running welded diffs for years and axles hold up.
Very true, welded diffs do understeer. When you weld it you just have to figure out how to drive it without understeer, which just takes some seat time.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM
albinobob

I cleaned mine out with brake cleaner to blow out all the crap then went to town with 2 bottles of alcohol.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 PM
kunt_masha

not exactly slammed but I daily and drift my car with the welded and have no issues

as long as it is welded evenly and good penetration you should be fine. I love it!

Quick Reply: Welded diff