Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

How strong is the stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 10:44 PM
johanna1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How strong is the stock motor?

I have 5000 miles on my car and I have had it for about a year now. I was wondering how strong are motors are. I know that they are all different and some may go because of factory issues, but what if a person had a stock motor with maybe a exhaust, and raced it a couple times. Would he be in high danger of tearing the motor up as someone would with alot of stuff on it. I did not start getting on my car until I hit 1000miles. I have raced about 3or4 times. I have never let it get to redline, always about 500 rpms away or 1000. Am I at high risk of damage. I want to have fun with her, but don't want anything to go wrong. I have had tons of problems with cars in the past and am hoping I will have none with this. Thanks
Old 10-30-2004, 05:48 AM
pimp1911

Depends on how much racing you do. Stock internals are weak and so are the OEM brakes(for track use that is).
Old 10-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the car can safely handle redline, etc over and over quite honestly. The VQ is a proven design that has been around for years now. Obviously those with FI introduce another level of stress that the factory might not have counted on, and as such, lifetime can be reduced - comes down to how sensibly the car is tuned, and how well it is maintained

I have 26500 hard flogged miles on my 04 - the car sees redline many many times per day, but I take meticulous care of it (frequent oil changes, good filter, cleaning the intake, etc.)
Old 10-30-2004, 08:59 AM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In stock form I never heard of engine failures no matter how hard its been driven. I drive my Z pretty hard,currently have 22k miles. Engine idles smoother then new. I do maintain it very well. Mobil 1 changed every 4kmiles. I bet Nissan built the Z to be driven hard. So it doesnt hurt to beat on it once in a while.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:32 PM
metalz

I have a track model and I beat the snot out of the thing like if somone paid me to...I am at 30k miles and the only problem I have had so far was the window getting stuck but never the engine
Old 10-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Go Speed Ricer

I have 42k miles on mine I dont go a day without hitting redline or atleast hitting the upper powerband and its still running strong. Aside from 2 quarts of oil disappearing every 3k that I have to continue to monitor closely everything is perfect.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Michael-Dallas

18+k miles w/ about 1/3 of those miles at the track. If it's any indication how hard I push mine, I get 7mpg a the track and not a drop of oil burned.

Michael.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by pimp1911
Depends on how much racing you do. Stock internals are weak and so are the OEM brakes(for track use that is).
stock internals are bulletproof (without FI, nitrous etc)
Old 10-30-2004, 11:02 PM
xxlbeerZ

I don't worry about the motor, the tranmission is what worries me!!!

I have a couple hundred miles, and I hate the way this car shifts. Some gears are very clunky for me (2nd and 5th). After all the posts I've read about grenading trannys, I'm kinda paranoid about it.

What's the best trans fluid? I used to use redline back in the day, I'm sure there's something better now...
Old 10-31-2004, 06:47 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

xxlbeer - if you think something is up, dont try to mask it with a fluid change...get it to the dealer and use that warranty!

I've got an 04, mileage mentioned above and not a single shifter issue at all...still on the OEM stuff that came with it, and don't plan on changing it
Old 10-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by xxlbeerZ

What's the best trans fluid? I used to use redline back in the day, I'm sure there's something better now...
You use anything other than stock fluids, 99% of the dealers will void your warranty when/if your tranny starts giving you problems. Redline makes for smoother shifts, but it wont prevent tranny problems, if they are going to happen.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

The dealer cannot void your warranty if you use "non stock" fluid - just make sure you use the proper viscosity (in the owners manual)
Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 AM
xxlbeerZ

I know I'm going to do rims/system/wing.

I'm hesitant to do performance mods though. Will the typical dealer void my warranty for y-pipe, high flow cats, drop in airfilter, and maybe a plenum and exhaust???
Old 11-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
The dealer cannot void your warranty if you use "non stock" fluid - just make sure you use the proper viscosity (in the owners manual)
Yes they can. And they have done it to several Z owners around the country. Redline has been voiding warranties for years
Old 11-01-2004, 06:51 AM
FCallender

A dealer can say about anything. But the manual is very specific in saying 75-90 transmission fluid. Redline meets that spec as do most, if not all aftermarket transmission fluids. There is nothing special about the product Nissan uses.
Although I suppose if a dealer could prove the product caused the failure they could refuse to honor the warranty. That would require lots of testing and lots of lawyers.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:26 AM
Zcool

The engine in the 350z when left stock and driven the way you described your driving style is practicallly bomb proof. You will probably tire of the car or change your life style where a sports car doesn't fit in long before you blow up the engine. Don't worry about it.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Gman2004

Originally posted by Dissolved
Yes they can. And they have done it to several Z owners around the country. Redline has been voiding warranties for years

Mods can only void your warranty if the dealer can prove that caused the damage. Look on the SEMA website under consumer for warranty info.

Attachment A

Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. Theproduction warrantyrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. Theperformance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:29 AM
PumpedVA

Originally posted by Go Speed Ricer
I have 42k miles on mine I dont go a day without hitting redline or atleast hitting the upper powerband and its still running strong. Aside from 2 quarts of oil disappearing every 3k that I have to continue to monitor closely everything is perfect.
2 quarts? where is it going