Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Put some stuff in the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 02:21 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put some stuff in the car

Unfortunately, it's nothing that hasn't been posted before.

I now have the Japanese Sport Horn, clear sides and the Nissan Grounding system.

Many thanks to vicmar90 for guiding me through this install.

In order to install the horns and the clears, it helps to remove the bumper. The bottom screws are easy, but the top clips can be intimidating to pull out. vicmar90 did the wheel wells so I don't really fully understand how that part went. It looked time consuming, but not that difficult. After the bumper is off, or at least bendable, the horns are easy. Just pop off the connections, unscrew the bolt and put on the new one. The side markers are a little more difficult, but with the bumper pretty much off, it's a lot easier.

Finally, the grounding kit. The instructions are obviously in Japanese and are of minimal to moderate help. Tako's pics are of great assistance. The problems I ran into began with the removal of the black plastic heat shield. The front nuts are easy, but the back ones, under the strut brace were a little more difficult to get to and I got concerned about stripping them. Afterwards, putting the wires together in the correct order wasn't too bad. We had a problem with where to attach the ground wire, the one that goes near where the original ground is (right front of the car, by the spring which pops the hood up). The pic in the instructions points to a hole that doesn't exist, Tako's pics look like he attached a wire to the factory ground. We ended up doing that, but in order to do it, we had to remove the pop up spring I previously mentioned. That part was tough. As a final issue, one screw that was supposed to attach to the right part of the plenum broke as I was tightening it. I've never had a screw do that before, but now I've got a screw shaft plugging that location. I'm not sure how I'll get it out. Actually, I'm not sure I need to, I just hooked that wire up to another screw on the plenum.

Results - the sports horns are different. A lot higher pitched, but I don't tend to honk much, so.... Now keep in mind that I was one of the biggest non-believers in the grounding system. Now that it's in, both vicmar90 and I agree that there is a difference. It seems smoother overall, but especially higher up. It seems to idle a little lower also. I like it.

Total time, about 3 hours.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:37 PM
vicmar90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Andrew on the grounding wires. Engine seem to rev. smoother. I like it also. This will be one of my next mods.
Victor