Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Old 04-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Alang35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

street image advises against this adjustment. i did mine a while ago and while i was in for a jwt clutch and fly combo, they noticed a lot of premature wear. the car has 30k miles and i dont drive it that hard. never drag raced or tracked or anything. my advice is dont do it.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 AM
visionboy

did mine for awhile, everything was fine, even cruise control worked. then serveral months later, the cruise control stop working, the clutch get stuck to the bottom. i thought that was annoying enought for me to revert back to factory specs. everything is ok now...ymmv
Old 04-18-2006, 08:14 PM
NM350

best modddddd!!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:47 PM
enron

Red face

What is the current general consensus on this adjustment to date? I just got a 2004 6MT a week ago and even though this is my first manual transmission car I feel that I am having more trouble with 1st gear launches then I should.

Having read through this thread it seems that very experienced manual transmission drivers among you have encountered inconsistent launches that stem from the uncommonly high engagement point. I don't remember ever seeing other manual drivers resort to pulling their knee back as high as I need to.

There seems to be a high proportion of people that have done this adjustment with out a problem but a few have encountered early clutch wear. From reading it seems that a conservative change such as 1.5-2 turns isn't too far off the service manual spec and makes a big difference.

Am I just a manual driving noob looking for an excuse or will making this change help smooth out my launches and make the driving experience more enjoyable? Thanks in advance, I troll these forums a lot and this is my first post.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:31 PM
NTRIGUE

Thumbs up

Consensus says: Nissan allowed a number of cars to leave the factory out-of-spec for aggressive manual driving. This is the best free mod for the 350Z and should be done immediately. Big deal if you have to spend a few hundred on a clutch 5k sooner than otherwise. THis will change the whole driving experience.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 AM
tenpenniesz

For those attempting this mod - Be careful not to strip the threading on the rod. This can happen when you are continually making adjustments. I ended up striping my out and if you think that just adjusting the rod is difficult, try have to replace the rod and assembly both. Just as an FYI to be aware.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:19 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alang35
there is talk of this mod prematurely wearing out the clutch and putting strain on the master cylinder or something like that. most guys turn theirs 2-3 times. i turned mine once for a small change that hopefuly wont shorten the life of my clutch. can anybody shed some light on the wear issue?

It would seem upon close examination this cannot be correct. If you adjust the travel of the clutch you are simply changing the engagement point, that is, the point at which the clutch will engage the engine. The majority of drivetrain "shock" or "strain" would be encountered at the moment of engagement. The life of the clutch should not be affected by the engagement point.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
TNTNY2FLA

Last edited by TNTNY2FLA; 12-05-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to start a poll...simple "yes" or "no" on this mod, but with one exception, only people who's done the mod can vote...someone help start it up?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Mazinger Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C'mon anybody? Seems like a good, simple mod, but still not sold on it. Anyone who's had this mod for more than 6mo? How is it now? Same/worse/better ?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:08 PM
shanecrosby

Took my Z to Nissan. They would not adjust the clutch and advised against it for clutch wear purposes. They did however do a full clutch inspection to make sure everything was the way it should be. Just FYI...
Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 AM
FirstZ
Banned

I say YES! Did it last night in 10 mins.

I would not recommend going the 3-4 turns right away, 1.5 turns did the trick in my Z.

It's like shifting a new car!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 PM
gNaRKiLL

Just did this as well, thats what a clutch should feel like, took under 5 minutes, feels like the aftermarket clutch i had in my old 240.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Rookie84

I just did this few days ago. I love it! I gotta fix the CC though, since I just realized it was not working when I was driving from VA to OH... Oh man, it was such a PITA driving for 6 hours w/o CC. I think I'm gonna move the pedal down a bit further in as well.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had mine adjusted for a while now no problems. something interesting though, if i sit in my car for the first time in 2 weeks the clutch will be almost completely to the floor.? can someone shed light on wtf this would happen
Old 06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
BocaCoupe

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I had to lay on my side or else I couldn't move my arms...uncomfortable, but once you get your bearings you're only down there for a bit.

As far as cruise control goes, you simply need to loosen the lock nut for the ASCD switch, screw it in a few turns and tighten it back up so that it is still triggered by the now lowered pedal.

Is the height (H1) of the top of the pedal measured with the pedal cover on or off?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BocaCoupe
Is the height (H1) of the top of the pedal measured with the pedal cover on or off?
Dunno, since I only exerpted the illustration from the service manual. to add more confusion, should we take into consideration the carpet and underlayment as well?

I have to say, I was an early adopter of this mod and after driving more miles, I think my clutch has worn or adjusted back to where it once was. I'm going to have to do it again though, b/c I do remember how much I enjoyed it and my shifting has become sloppy again.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:04 PM
takudo

Just my $0.02, but I did this "mod" about 1 year ago and after 15K miles everything is OK. With 50K total miles and plenty of aggressive driving I definitely need a new clutch, but I can't say this adjustment hastened the wear any. And plus side is the car has been more fun to drive.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:28 PM
AZZGUY

Default clutch wear

Originally Posted by Alang35
street image advises against this adjustment. i did mine a while ago and while i was in for a jwt clutch and fly combo, they noticed a lot of premature wear. the car has 30k miles and i dont drive it that hard. never drag raced or tracked or anything. my advice is dont do it.
You havent drag raced?? What do you do for fun.? I drag raced one of those little 911 Prorsche with my 1990 2+2 300ZX down Scottsdale Road from near the river bottom to McKillips road and beat him good at 85+ MPH when I quit! What a thrill!!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
dchi_t

sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but i've been having mixed feelings of this mod. i just recently did this mod and my clutch now feels so light. driving seems to be normal but before my clutch was pretty hard, and after this mod its gotten alot softer.

btw. i also did this mod about a year ago and again had trouble with it. it was adjusted so much that once i rev over 4500rpm, the clutch would start slipping. then i had to adjust it back. can anyone help me out here?

are there methods in testing if i turned the pin enough times or too many
times?

thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?