Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after try to adjust the clutch about 4 or 5 times my pin and nut are stripped. When I get it to a normal clutch push and release everything is fine but third gear grinds for the most part. When I get it to where all gears are fine and 3rd doesnt grind the pedal is mushy, doesnt always return properly and then self adjusts. So frustrated.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Noc748

I just did the adjustment on my nismo yesterday. Works great. I didnt count the turns or mark it, but my guess is about 3. Then re adjusted the cruise switch. The clutch pedal only has about a 1/4" of free play up top, but after its warm it seems to fully come up all the way when im off it. Engagement is about an inch off the floor or so. No movement in 1st gear with the clutch floored. It seems to start to disengage about and inch and a half below full up. I should take a look at how many threads i have showing tomorrow.

Also of curiosity, how many threads should be showing in the OEM position (is the pic on the first page OEM height yet?) or how far was the OEM clutch height off the firewall? Like i said I didnt count the turns cause, i started adjusting the clutch when all hell started breaking loose weatherwise. So i just finished up and gave it a quick test before the skies opened up.

Last edited by Noc748; 06-23-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Grail

I've just done the adjustment, and the new engagement point is just right. I do have one question though -- while driving, I have tried nestling my foot on the clutch pedal to feel for any differences, and the vibration is much more prevalent compared to stock.

My clutch pedal is about .25" lower than the brake pedal. Are any of you experiencing similar results? The clutch engages just fine, with no stalling whatsoever.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Noc748

I returned mine back to stock. The second day out with the adjustment, the clutch felt....a little strange on engagement. Now its fine again.

Just gonna get do a JWT flywheel/clutch when i get the chance.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 PM
CSF

i also returned it to stock after a couple of test drives. but i've been happy with the dwolf mod.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG...I can have a normal clutch now!!
Old 06-30-2008, 11:21 PM
ZTMYDUST

Not sure if i'm the only one but after installing my new JWT combo, I noticed the clutch engaged when put like 1/4 inch off the floor and after reading this my friend did what this post said cause to me the car was undriveable cause there was like inch's of play before the clutch would engage and disengage. We did this mod and I was able to drive it perfectly for about a week, then I took at trip roughly 300 miles to a huge car show and noticed when i pushed the pedal in and let it come back out it did so but if i put my foot just under the pedal i could move it up a little higher with my foot like the pedal wasn't returning to the original position.

Seems somehow the pedal adjustment actually had me with the clutch some what engaged all the time! When we stop half way down all i could smell was clutch and thought it was my friends car next to mine. Now 4200 miles later my clutch engages very high like it did before I replaced it.

Is there some way this mod could have done this?

I had the pedal re-adjusted back to where it is stock and it works fine just the clutch is very high and only has to be pushed down 1/4 the way to disengaged.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:23 PM
ZTMYDUST

^^^^ This is how my clutch pedal was after that adjustment before my trip but i was able to pull the pedal back up at .25" after ever time I pushed the pedal in.

Originally Posted by Grail
My clutch pedal is about .25" lower than the brake pedal. Are any of you experiencing similar results? The clutch engages just fine, with no stalling whatsoever.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Frequency 3.5.0

Being adjusted lower than the brake pedal is probably too much... I would suggest back it up more just on the safe side; not necessary back to stock position but to a point that it's still showing improvement, even if just a little
Old 09-08-2008, 02:56 PM
WhiteNoiz

any updates?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 AM
350Zforlife
370Zforlife

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
any updates?
Judging by the posts, seems like a bad idea. Just drive your car as is. Don't get too greedy.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
righellis

I just got back from the infamous Tantrum's house. He helped me make the adjustment to my 2008 and it is a world of difference. It is so much more comfortable and fun to drive. The rest position of my foot is now so much more relaxed. Before it felt like my toe was parallel with my shin!

When I was first test driving the car (about a month ago) I had texted him saying that the clutch felt so long. It was like my Jeep Wrangler's clutch. He told me you can adjust it pretty easily, so I did not worry too much.

Before and after the adjustment, I took it out to Red Rock Canyon's scenic loop (lots of good turns and undulations) and it made flying through the gears so much easier.

Thanks Tantrum!
Old 11-03-2008, 05:11 AM
GC71

Just tried this mod after reading this thread...

Not sure if i have done this correctly as I am trying to lower the engagement point..

I turned 2 turns clockwise from lying on my back position..ended up seeing less thread on the rod..

Did not feel much of a difference, not sure if it is to do with the fact that I have an after market clutch and flywheel..

Also, my clutch pedal is abt. 1/4" higher then my brake pedal..is this normal and anyway to lower it to be at the same level as the brake?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zforlife
Judging by the posts, seems like a bad idea. Just drive your car as is. Don't get too greedy.

+1, I was contemplating doing this but I don't think I will bother now, I don't know if its worth it, I have grown pretty comfortable with the stock setup
Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by Escobar
+1, I was contemplating doing this but I don't think I will bother now, I don't know if its worth it, I have grown pretty comfortable with the stock setup
+1

I spent all this time getting used to it, and am fine with it now, not worth the risk IMO
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
+1

I spent all this time getting used to it, and am fine with it now, not worth the risk IMO
what risk? ive been going strong for 2 years now
(turned mine 2 rotations)
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by vispre
what risk? ive been going strong for 2 years now
(turned mine 2 rotations)
You personally haven't had any problems (up to this point) but other people have. I just want to avoid premature clutch and synchro wear, so until there is some sort of proof it doesn't cause this, I'm avoiding this mod.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

^ wise decision.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM
IB Systems

I was told that when going to an aftermarket clutch, the engagement point has to be adjusted otherwise the clutch will not engage/disengage all the way and can lead to future problems, like in my case (a new slave cylinder). it's hard to say if the stock clutches are engaging properly since there is so much clutch play, the only way to find out, would be to have your cars tranny and clutch looked at by a performance shop. All I know is what I was told by S & R performance, only time will tell for sure.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Systems
it's hard to say if the stock clutches are engaging properly since there is so much clutch play, the only way to find out, would be to have your cars tranny and clutch looked at by a performance shop.
There are a few simple tests to determine whether or not your clutch is engaging or disengaging. If you are accelerating in gear and your rpms rise faster than they should for your mph, your clutch is not fully engaging. This is easier to detect in higher gears where wheel spin is not an issue. You can also engage the clutch in first gear with your foot on the brake, if the car doesn't stall immediately, your clutch is slipping.

To test for disengagement, jack up the rear of your car and put it in first gear with the clutch pedal pushed down. If the clutch is dragging on the flywheel your tires will spin.

I don't think this "mod" is very useful long term because as the clutch wears the pedal rises back up to compensate. No doubt a lot of people are overdoing it with the adjustment if it's below the brake pedal. If you can lift up your pedal and it stays up in a higher position until you press it down again then you've probably lowered it too much.

Quick Reply: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?