Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:44 AM
DanOnTheRoad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nicolaycastro
I did it to my car yesterday too, and its great, thanks tantrum.

Ohh BTW some one sent me an attachment of a page of the service manuela where it is explained how to adjust the clutch, so it is not bad or wrong to adjusted, I'll try to find the attachment.
If you could find that attachment, it would be good to know. I think it's just my mind playing tricks, but it feels like the revs are way up there at high speeds. (higher than normal). Are we absolutely sure we're not messing with the engagement of the clutch?

Oh, and regarding the cruise control, which is easy to adjust, by moving it closer to the pedal, you can also adjust the free play of the pedal. Be advised that doing this means as soon as you rest your foot on the pedal, you are partially disengaging the clutch. No more riding the pedal.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Kaitain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh my god! It's like night and day. I couldn't even tell where the clutch engaged before it was so high and mushy. Now it's like the other sports cars I've driven (but never owned).

I just figured I was a really horrible driver but now that I can tell where the clutch engages I can actually shift like a normal person. Maybe my car had it adjusted way too much in the other direction from the factory but shifting into second no longer feels so clunky either.

It'll take a little bit of driving to get used to the new position but again now that I have positive feedback on the clutch engagement I at least can learn and improve.

I also have the 2005 and needed to turn it counter-clockwise. I tried one full turn first and that is what the car should come like from the factory, completely fixed the fuzzy feel of the clutch. I then tried a little more and a little less and finally settled on one and three quarter turns.

Sorry for the rambling post but I'm just so damn happy! This fixed one of my major complaints for the car.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For you guys that post instructions and especially pictures, I LOVE YOU!!!!!

I am not mechanically inclined, and this was pretty easy thanks to the pictures. I went out and bought a 12mm wrench and what they call "nose pliers" since they allow for more movement under such tight space restrictions.

As other members stated here, the difference is amazing! My clutch must have been really high (hence the annoyance factor) because I think I turned the rod a full 3 and a half turns!

Me so happy!!
Old 07-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Kaitain

No doubt, thanks for the pics!

I feel I should add you might not need a pair of pliers to do this. If you can't turn the shaft try depressing the clutch pedal a little and you should be able to spin it freely. Another '05 owner had the same "can't turn it more than 2 turns" problem as I did but when I depressed the clutch pedal a tad it turned freely again.

I drove a few hours today just to get the feel of the new position but it really didn't take any time at all to get used to it. I realized that I had eventually found the optimal position (by accident) because it was where I was leaving my foot when "sport" shifting before.

Before when I was shifting quickly I would shift and leave my foot on the pedal with the pedal slightly depressed; so I would be ready for the next shift. The problem before was that I couldn’t tell when the clutch was fully engaged so my shifts were sloppy and I didn’t know where to leave my foot.

This sometimes resulted in a partially engaged clutch, most definitely not a good thing. I could at least tell that I had made a cr4ppy shift and needed to let off the clutch some more but since I had no good, positive feed back I never learned where that limit was.

Now I instantly know where the engagement point is and can shift accordingly.

This is probably a big “Duh!” to you guys that know how to drive, but for me it is a true revelation and I couldn’t be happier. It really does make my car feel like a different, better car.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 AM
DanOnTheRoad

Here's a link to a thread over at 35z Motoring about cluch adjustment. It shows another way of doing it. Thought I would post it in case somebody wanted an alternative. Seems easy enough.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...=clutch+adjust
Old 07-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Kaitain

Interesting that he is turning the clevis instead of the shaft. I wonder how the other end of that shaft is fastened. If it is spinning freely it wouldn't even matter.

Plus the method listed here is MUCH simpler, no need to remove the clevis you just adjust the shaft inside the clevis. Takes about 2 mins once you know what you are looking at. The other way will clearly take you much longer. Of course if that is the proper way to make the adjustment so you aren't screwing the shaft into the car more (if that even matters) then I would gladly switch to using the other way.

The only downside I've had from this is that if you adjust the clutch too far down the spring has problems returning the clutch pedal to the top position. That's not bad for the clutch or anything, it just doesn't feel quite right. I'm looking to see if I can adjust that spring now.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:21 AM
DanOnTheRoad

Yeah, that's my main concern. Is that shaft being screwed into the main cluch assembly?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 PM
nicolaycastro

thanks for the page, they have the cluthc peddal adjustment page I was talking about:

Old 07-26-2005, 09:09 PM
JohnnyDigital

Originally Posted by DanOnTheRoad
If you could find that attachment, it would be good to know. I think it's just my mind playing tricks, but it feels like the revs are way up there at high speeds. (higher than normal). Are we absolutely sure we're not messing with the engagement of the clutch?

Oh, and regarding the cruise control, which is easy to adjust, by moving it closer to the pedal, you can also adjust the free play of the pedal. Be advised that doing this means as soon as you rest your foot on the pedal, you are partially disengaging the clutch. No more riding the pedal.
How do you adjust the freeplay?? do u mean before or after you make the pedal adjustment.... cause i did it a few weeks ago, glad i did, but the only thing that kinda annoys me is the inch or two free play that feels like it sticks when u let it out sometimes..i know its not really sticking, just that first bit of freeplay...is that adjustable? does anyone know what i mean?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:52 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyDigital
How do you adjust the freeplay?? do u mean before or after you make the pedal adjustment.... cause i did it a few weeks ago, glad i did, but the only thing that kinda annoys me is the inch or two free play that feels like it sticks when u let it out sometimes..i know its not really sticking, just that first bit of freeplay...is that adjustable? does anyone know what i mean?
I think that means you've lowered it a tad too much and the spring isn't doing it's job lifting the pedal back up all the way.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 AM
DanOnTheRoad

350Zenophile is probably right, but what I was referring to is the free play when your foot first touches the pedal. That can be adjusted by moving the cruise control sensor inward. It's very simple to do. Loosen the lock nut and turn the whole sensor in. Just remember by doing this you take away more free play so the clutch will disengage quickly. If you happen to rest your foot on the pedal you could mistakenly disengage the clutch slightly.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:17 PM
JohnnyDigital

Can I adjust the spring?? it is when my foot first touches the pedal its a like an inch or two of super freeplay, I didn't lower it that much, its about even with the brake, even a hair higher. the pedal does come all the way up, just that last inch of freeplay at the end sometime comes up late. I have an 05 I might add. it kinda feels like the little freeplay that the brake pedal has before the brakes actually start applying. No one else has experienced this?? I thought someone earlier in the thread complained of a sticking feeling...
Old 07-27-2005, 12:24 PM
DanOnTheRoad

Can I adjust the spring?? it is when my foot first touches the pedal its a like an inch or two of super freeplay, I didn't lower it that much, its about even with the brake, even a hair higher. the pedal does come all the way up, just that last inch of freeplay at the end sometime comes up late. I have an 05 I might add. it kinda feels like the little freeplay that the brake pedal has before the brakes actually start applying. No one else has experienced this?? I thought someone earlier in the thread complained of a sticking feeling...
My post previous to yours explains how to adjust that free play by simply moving the cruise control sensor. Just be advised that the less free play you have, the more of a chance you have of ridding or slipping the clutch just be resting your foot on the pedal.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:27 PM
JohnnyDigital

o ok Thanks, i'll probaly do that, I make it a point to never rest my foot on it so i'm not worried about that. Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:39 PM
DanOnTheRoad

o ok Thanks, i'll probaly do that, I make it a point to never rest my foot on it so i'm not worried about that. Thanks again for the info!
No problemo. The hardest part is getting yourself into that little bitty space.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 PM
JohnnyDigital

yea tell me about it, it was pretty frustrating the first time, it was a hot day and i'm a big dude!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Adjusted the clutch pedal last night after my tranny replacement.. it's hard to find the perfect spot... but after 5 trys, finally got it. 1 1/2 turns counterclockwise from original spot.

the free play adjustment is very important. If you don't, you will feel the click when pressing down the pedal.. it's the fork/cotton pin that caused this feeling.. by adjusting the cruise control sensor, you can minimize this problem.

thanks for a great thread!

Last edited by Apexi350z; 07-28-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Kaitain

Originally Posted by Apexi350z
it's the fork/cotton pin
Cotter pin, a cotton pin probably wouldn't work too well.

Oh, and make sure you don't say anything about sticking your cotter pin into your clevis at work as you can get some strange stares...
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
DanOnTheRoad

last night, I returned everything to stock. Then adjusted it using the new method of removing the cotter pin and bolt. Did this for piece of mind. This way I know it's just the "U" shapped connector is the only thing that's moved. I did 2 full rotations. It was VERY simple to do. I went one extra step and acutally unplugged the cruise control wiring from the switch. This allowed me to remove it completely for better access. I did notice that the wiring for the cruise controll was VERY twisted. This was due to me adjusting it previously without disconnecting the switch first. Be advised. Don't twist it a lot or you could run the risk of snapping the wires within the harness. Not good.

All in all, it took me 20 minutes including final ajdustment. Clutch feels great.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:18 PM
pj550v12

I feel a little more vibration in the clutch pedal then I used to, is this ok?

Quick Reply: High Clutch? want to lower your clutch engagement point?