Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Vortech pulley upgrade, but using a wastegate to control boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:06 PM
sas0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech pulley upgrade, but using a wastegate to control boost

I've had the Vortech on for only around 1K miles, but I'm looking for more torque. I have stock internals and don't really have the funds now to go forged or do a complete fuel system (injectors, pump and return) upgrade either. So...

I ordered both the 3.12 and 2.87 pulleys and think I want to try the 'wastegate' set-up, like gsport35 posted here. My questions are related to the use of a boost controller with this setup?

This questions might sound basic, but I've never really looked much at boost controllers. I also haven't looked at a good diagram showing a whole wastegate & boost controller and how they interoperate. But, from what I've read the boost controller is used to control the wastegate valve. Instead of the wastegate valve bleeding off boost from the start (until is is fully opened), the boost controller controls the wastegate. Initially the boost controller will close the wastegate valve, and after you reach the specified pressure, the boost controller will open the wastegate valve. Is this mostly right?

So, I'm just not sure from this picture
here if he's using a boost controller and if not where it goes?

I also think I understand the difference between an analog (manual) and digital (electronic) boost controller. I'm just not sure why for a SC bleeder like this you would need an electronic boost controller over a analog (manual) one. I would think if you have the manual one, set it to 9psi (or whatever you want), you could set the dial on the controller, tune the setup to the new boost levles and be done.

Wouldn't the ability to change the boost (using an electronic boost controller) just mess up the tune? In other words, if you tune to 9psi and then change the boost electronically to 10psi (or 8psi) would the engine automatically correct for the change in boost?

Again, I'm not 100% sure I understand how these components work together, so many of my assumptions might be wrong.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:49 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure exactly how they work either , but the manual BC will open to much at once and bleed off to much boost . The electonic has much beter control and keeps the boost closer to your target boost
Old 09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
sas0

I wasn't so busy today and was checking with google to see what other folks are doing to improve midrange torque with a supercharger.

Anyway, it seems there is an Eaton SC kit for an NSX that includes a 'boost relief valve'. This dosen't look like a wastegate to me.

This is what they say in the description
"Boost relief valve - The blower is overdriven to 12 psi. This valve stays closed until boost reaches 7 psi. At 7 psi. it opens to bleed off extra boost and maintain the set boost. This allows the system to reach it's full potential much faster than others."

I couldn't find the pictures on the original post, but google cache has them saved here...

Looking at the dyno plot at the end, the torque is very flat across mid-range and high RPM's.

It really isn't that hard to find a person who increased the boost and added a 'relief valve'
Here's another write up Boost controlled Centrifical blowers (long)

Last edited by sas0; 09-02-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:00 PM
booger

If I was to do it...and I am...this winter . I will keep the the stock Vortech Bypass BOV . And add a wastegate to bleed off boost . Use a electronic boost controler with 2 settings..1 for every day and 1 for race gas and full boost to redline
Old 09-02-2005, 12:14 PM
sas0

Originally Posted by booger
If I was to do it...and I am...this winter . I will keep the the stock Vortech Bypass BOV . And add a wastegate to bleed off boost . Use a electronic boost controler with 2 settings..1 for every day and 1 for race gas and full boost to redline
I think the G35 might have a bit more room between the pulleys and radiator than my Z does. I was looking at my Vortech tubing and it's hard to tell exactly where a wastegate would fit. Also, my vortech tube running along the front from the SC to the bypass valve has all sorts of twists and turns. The picture posted by gsport35 looks like it's almost a straight shot between his SC and bypass valve.
What does your tube look like Bill?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:24 PM
booger

Im pretty sure Gsopt has a Sedan , He made up a straight pipe from the blower to down to , right before the BOV . Looks like he hooked up the wastegate to that str8t pipe . That way you still have the original pipe to replace if need be .
The pipe is something that will need to be worked out with the AT5 and less room
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
sas0

I saw that in the picture, but take a look at your Z and see if you think you could connect a straight pipe between the two? My tubing takes two turns, one after the supercharger to go around the fans, and then another turn to hook up to the by-pass valve. I'm probably 99% sure I couldn't connect with a straight pipe.

My plain is to order another pipe from Vortech, drill the hole and weld the flange on. Then swap the tubing. Just waiting to get the wastegate to decide where to try and fit it. Let me know if you see a really small 38mm wastegate. The Tial and Turbosmart look about the same size.

Here's a qutestion though, if I get the wastgate with a 9psi spring then it will work without a boost controller and bleed off at 9psi. Howerver, if I add the boost controller can I then program the controller to bleed off above 9psi? In other words, does the electronic (or manual) boost controller completely over ride the function of the valve?

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2005, 04:26 AM
jpc350z

Check out 350zmotoring.com and look for an excellent write-up review by APS on the technical differences between the manual and electronic boost control wastegate design and application..